BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

Equi St. Brown cut, so now the (I think) only two Packers on my roster are no longer Packers. EDIT: Forgot about Preston Smith, but he was a BDL stud long before he was a Packer.

Edited by Blue

This and turnover rate are exactly how I've (tried to) looked at QBs for close to a decade now. It's easy for, say, Teddy Bridgewater to keep the offense on track when the game script works, but not so much when he has to rely on arm strength/talent to win. Big year ahead for guys like Tua, Lamar Jackson, and Baker Mayfield to show they can be successful in situations where you have to make a tough throw in obvious passing situations.

Edited by Blue

28 minutes ago, Blue said:

This and turnover rate are exactly how I've (tried to) looked at QBs for close to a decade now. It's easy for, say, Teddy Bridgewater to keep the offense on track when the game script works, but not so much when he has to rely on arm strength/talent to win. Big year ahead for guys like Tua, Lamar Jackson, and Baker Mayfield to show they can be successful in situations where you have to make a tough throw in obvious passing situations.

The omission of Kyler Murray is absolutely egregious here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The omission of Kyler Murray is absolutely egregious here.

While I remain less-than-sold on Kyler Murray as a franchise QB, I think he's in a different situation than those other QBs on a variety of levels.

25 minutes ago, Blue said:

While I remain less-than-sold on Kyler Murray as a franchise QB, I think he's in a different situation than those other QBs on a variety of levels.

IMO Tua and Kyler is a relatively fair comparison. While Tua has an exceptionally solid defense, I think his weapons/lack thereof are enough to give him another year.

Kyler is in year 3 of the same system.

Baker has an incredible amount of surrounding talent, and yet this is the first time he's got the same HC and/or offensive system the next year.

He was on 4 HC's and 4 offensive systems 30 games into his career...that's crazy.

With the season getting back underway here soon I figured it would be a good time to start back up my mock drafts. The plan is to do them weekly again this year but no promises Counselor. I did a lot of scouting early in the summer but then got sidetracked so it's been nearly two months since I was doing any research or film watching so I'm trying to get my bearings back on some of these guys. I'm using last season's draft order so don't get mad about where your team is picking.

Round 1:
1.1 - Raleigh Firebirds - Kayvon Thibodeaux, EDGE, Oregon - Both Von Miller and Bud Dupree are free agents after this season. If Raleigh can't bring back both, it makes sense to add Thibodeaux here.
1.2 - Seoul Dragons (via Hungary) - Spencer Rattler, QB, Oklahoma - This is an easy pick for Seoul. Matt Ryan's contract is done after this season and he's not the future anyways. For right now, the first QB off the board could easily be Howell or Rattler but I think Rattler improves on his previous season and shows off his high ceiling enough to go first.
1.3 - Cancun Kaiju - DeMarvin Leal, INT, Texas A&M - Akiem Hicks and Stephon Tuitt are free agents at the end of the year and both are aging. Leal is an impressive talent with athleticism and power and could really play at any spot on the DL if needed.
1.4 - Anchorage Trappers - Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU - Anchorage keeps their players on a short leash and so this will be a make it or break it season for C.J. Henderson. He's already buried on the Jaguars depth chart so it's likely the Trappers will be looking for someone new to play across from Patrick Surtain II.
1.5 - Seoul Dragons - Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame - With their second top 5 pick, Seoul looks to add one of the premier talents in the draft, albeit one at a devalued position. Seoul has some young options at the position but adding a bonafide star is a no brainer. Hamilton has some of the best instincts I've seen in a safety since I started seriously scouting a few years ago.
1.6 - Antarctica Katabatic Beasts - Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson - Even if Jeff Okudah plays better this year, CB is still a need for the Katabatic Beasts as every other CB on the roster is a free agent. Booth only started 4 games last season but will handle a bigger role this year. If he shows consistency as a full time starter, he should go high in the draft.
1.7 - Camden Hood Rats - Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida - Camden is a hard team to mock for. With multiple first round picks and few needs, they take one of the top available players in Elam. Camden has consistently shown that they will go BPA even if it's not a big need. I would still consider CB a minor need however as some of their top talent is still relatively unproven.
1.8 - Rome Eternals - Evan Neal, OT, Alabama - Rome has a number of free agents at the OT position and also need to consider life after Tyron Smith. They bring in another athletic freak. Neal is enormous at 6-7, 360 lbs. but has insane athleticism for that size.
1.9 - Camden Hood Rats (via New Orleans) - Christian Harris, LB, Alabama - Camden picks again already, this time going with Harris. With multiple free agents at the LB position and few proven talents, Harris adds instant all-around ability to pair with whoever Camden brings back/in.
1.10 - Camden Hood Rats (via Lancaster) - Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina - Camden sees the value in Howell at this point and either trades down for a haul or takes Howell as a future trade piece. With the wealth of young QB talent in the league right now, I think it's going to continue to be common practice in the BDL to load up on options if you have the extra draft capital.
1.11 - Anchorage Trappers (via Death Valley) - Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M - Anchorage uses their second pick to land a great talent in Green. A guard worthy of being taken in the top 10, Green is going to play OT for the Aggies this year. He adds versatility to the Trappers' OL.
1.12 - Gotham Gashslayers - George Karlaftis, EDGE, Purdue - Gotham brought in Shaq Barrett this offseason but still don't have an established long term starter across from him. Hopefully A.J. Epenesa breaks out this year but if not, he could look to the draft. Karlaftis had a down year last year but was dealing with injuries. I think he can definitely bounce back and bring the kind of power Gotham seems to like in their EDGE guys.
1.13 - Singapore Sentinels - Malik Willis, QB, Liberty - Another season, more Tom Brady. I'm sure Singapore will re-sign him this offseason but even still they've got to look towards the future. I know I've been saying it about Brady for years but at some point it's got to actually be true.
1.14 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - Jaxson Kirkland, OT, Washington - Berlin's depth on the OL is nearly non-existent. Kirkland has experience playing at OT and OG. Kirkland has only started at LT for 4 games due to the pandemic last season but if he can play an entire season at the level he played last year he'll be an easy first rounder.
1.15 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos - Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State - The Black Rhinos have some good young WR options but with their veteran players becoming free agents, they could stand to add more juice to the group. 
1.16 - Cuba Smugglers  - Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas - Burks is my early draft crush this year and hopefully he turns out better than Seth Williams last year. He's huge, he's fast, he's physical. He's pretty raw and his route tree at Arkansas is fairly limited but he's got sky high potential. Julio Jones and DJ Chark are both free agents and Cuba could add more options to potentially start across from Justin Jefferson.

Round 2:
2.1 - Cancun Kaiju (via Raleigh) - Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State - The current ownership took over a barren roster and could never have filled every single hole perfectly in one offseason. They brought in a lot of young guys at the LB position but not all of them will likely pan out. If they still need some help next offseason they could use some draft capital to take someone else.
2.2 - Hungary Hippos - Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC - Hungary's EDGE group looks really rough and I don't really see much upside in the group either. It's likely they'll still have a big need there by the end of the season. Jackson has all of the tools necessary to go higher in the draft, he's just got to put them together. For now I've got him in the mid-first but I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up a top 10 talent.
2.3 - Cancun Kaiju - Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State - Wide receiver is another position where Cancun mostly just was able to bandage over for the time being. Elijah Moore and Courtland Sutton are a nice duo but they need more help. I think Olave if a great fit as the third WR in this group as they all complement each other well with their different play styles.
2.4 - Anchorage Trappers - Charles Cross, OT, Mississippi State - Anchorage has so many young prospects that it's hard to know what their needs will be by the time the draft roles around. For now I have them continuing to bolster the trenches. If Cross works out for them, they can hopefully shed some more expensive OTs.
2.5 - Seoul Dragons - Trent McDuffie, CB, Washington - Seoul signed and drafted a number of corners this offseason but I remain skeptical of the group as a whole. I think they'll still be looking for a star at the position and they'll look to the draft. McDuffie started as a true freshman and hasn't looked back. He's not going to be the best at his position but he can potentially provide upper level consistency for many years.
2.6 - Antarctica Katabatic Beasts - Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan - All of Antarctica's pass rushers except for the overpaid Frank Clark will be free agents next offseason. Most of them are marginal at best players anyway. Hutchinson would likely have been a first rounder this past draft if not for an injury. If he recovers well I see no reason for him not to be drafted highly.
2.7 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos (via Camden) - Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss - Tannehill is a good QB but in a 16 team league is he going to be good enough to actually win it all? They got close last year and I think the answer is likely yes but depending on how this year goes Ivory Coast may want to add some insurance.
2.8 - Rome Eternals - Jordan Battle, S, Alabama - Grant Delpit still isn't starting and Rome's other starters are set to be free agents. Rome adds some youth to the position by taking the versatile Alabama safety.
2.9 - Camden Hood Rats (via New Orleans) - Jalen Wydermyer, TE, Texas A&M - Camden needs to be looking for life at the TE position beyond Gronkowski so they take Wydermyer. Zach Ertz is too old and Gerald Everett is 3rd string on the Seahawks so they'll need the help when Gronk retires.
2.10 - Seoul Dragons (via Lancaster) - Drake London, WR, USC - Seoul has a lot of decent/mediocre options at WR right now but very few young guys with upside. Enter London, who reminds me of for USC Trojan teammate Michael Pittman Jr. but a better athlete. 
2.11 - Death Valley Nightmare - Ahmad Gardner, CB, Cincinnati - The Death Valley CB group is pretty meh outside of their starters and Darius Slay could revert back after having an up year last year. Either way adding a young talent will help the group tremendously.
2.12 - Gotham Gashslayers - Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa - If Lloyd Cushenberry doesn't improve this year Gotham will be on the hunt for their next center. Linderbaum honestly should probably going higher than this, in the early 2nd round range, but he just slipped in this mock. He should hold it down for Trey Lance/Mac Jones for the forseeable future.
2.13 - Death Valley Nightmare (via Singapore) - Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa - Dion Dawkins is overpaid and I could see him being a 3 down candidate next offseason. Austin Jackson has struggled a lot as well. I could easily see Death Valley needing to find a bookend for Sewell next offseason. I was only able to find Northern Iowa tape for one game so far but Penning was dominant. 
2.14 - Berlin Blitzkrieg - Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia - Berlin's two starters at LB have been relative disappointments after showing promise early on. I think it's likely at least one of them rebounds this year but for now I see LB as a potential need for them by the time the draft rolls around.
2.15 - Ivory Coast Black Rhinos - Jordan Davis, INT, Georgia - Ivory Coast added Christian Barmore this past draft but still severely lack depth in the middle of their DL. Davis fits their mold of DT nicely and will provide depth at first with the ability to be a starter down the line.
2.16 - Cuba Smugglers - Mykael Wright, CB, Oregon - Cuba has some free agents at the CB position next offseason and could use some youth at the position regardless. Wright is one of my favorite guys I watched so far. He's a terrific athlete but a bit small. He's talented regardless and teams should find him useful.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO Tua and Kyler is a relatively fair comparison. While Tua has an exceptionally solid defense, I think his weapons/lack thereof are enough to give him another year.

Kyler is in year 3 of the same system.

Baker has an incredible amount of surrounding talent, and yet this is the first time he's got the same HC and/or offensive system the next year.

He was on 4 HC's and 4 offensive systems 30 games into his career...that's crazy.

Didn't kitchens kind of run the same offense as the previous regime?