BDL Discussion Thread 2021

Jlash

Just now, Jlash said:

You knocking Parsons and Slater and Farley and Rousseau and Surratt and Bateman and Rondale Moore and whoever the hell else opted out too? 

Not really. I mean it’s noted and not ideal. Ultimately each decision is different and just a part of our evaluation process.

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

Da’Vante Adams ran a 4.56 and ended up doing fine. Same with Hopkins and Dez Bryant (>4.50 40s) and ended up producing as number one receivers. Chase should be faster than 4.5 so it’s a relatively seamless process to producing in the NFL. He’s not a guy I would doubt at the next level.

Speed is pretty overrated at receiver, especially for bigger guys. Can't be small and slow, but the bar is pretty freaking low when it comes to speed at receiver.

1 hour ago, MD4L said:

The only real reservation you can have with Devonta Smith is he’s really skinny for NFL standards. But if he naturally gains 15 or so pounds he’s got the frame. On the field he’s so good, I’d have to consider it high level nitpicking after what he’s done this year. If I was being modest, I’d compare him to a smooth (and presumably faster) Robert Woods. Woods is one of the most underrated players in the league IMO but if Smith projects as expected he’s going to be a very good starter for a long time. Injuries are probably the biggest thing that could prevent him from being a strong starter.

Y'all are so high on Devonta Smith, a dude who is 22 and was the fourth-best receiver on last year's Bama team.

57 minutes ago, MD4L said:

And he’s given Derek Stingley problems for two years straight. The TD against Georgia as a freshman with Tua. It’s incredible production.

Is there any evidence Derek Stingley is good outside of PFF and his HS recruiting rank

Edited by Blue

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Speed is pretty overrated at receiver, especially for bigger guys. Can't be small and slow, but the bar is pretty freaking low when it comes to speed at receiver.

Y'all are so high on Devonta Smith, a dude who is 22 and was the fourth-best receiver on last year's Bama team.

Is there any evidence Derek Stingley is good outside of PFF and his HS recruiting rank

He was (and projects to be) better than Ruggs. You could likewise make a real case he was the best receiver of Alabama’s 4 headed monster. 

Derek Stingley was an All American as a true freshman. 

Edited by MD4L

5 minutes ago, MD4L said:

He was (and projects to be) better than Ruggs. You could likewise make a real case he was the best receiver of Alabama’s 4 headed monster. 

Derek Stingley was an All American as a true freshman. 

He absolutely was not, but I guess we can agree to disagree.

I stand by my previous question/assertion.

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

Bateman played what? 3 or 4 games? Which is worse?

I think this is obvious. Getting some live game action in which requires you getting hit, being in game shape, knocking rust off, applying your techniques against opponents at full force and speed, as opposed to not playing for an entire year? 

16 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I think this is obvious. Getting some live game action in which requires you getting hit, being in game shape, knocking rust off, applying your techniques against opponents at full force and speed, as opposed to not playing for an entire year? 

I agree with all of this generally, but with COVID potentially having life-long effects on one's health, I don't blame them for trying to stay healthy and avoid potential complications that could shorten their careers.

30 minutes ago, Counselor said:

13 minutes ago, Blue said:

I agree with all of this generally, but with COVID potentially having life-long effects on one's health, I don't blame them for trying to stay healthy and avoid potential complications that could shorten their careers.

Yea, this isn't your typical "hey I don't wanna hurt my stock so I'm sitting out a bowl game"

What's the point in playing a few games early in the year, then going "Well my team sucks....so I'm just gonna call it a year." I don't think it's going to help anyones game shape for next year to have played in 3-5 games to start the year and then giving up. 

edit: Also, how you doing man?

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Blue said:

37 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Yea, this isn't your typical "hey I don't wanna hurt my stock so I'm sitting out a bowl game"

What's the point in playing a few games early in the year, then going "Well my team sucks....so I'm just gonna call it a year." I don't think it's going to help anyones game shape for next year to have played in 3-5 games to start the year and then giving up. 

edit: Also, how you doing man?

First of all I’m not blaming anyone for sitting out and won’t hold that against them. Do I think playing a year versus not playing a year can be better for your development? Absolutely. I am strictly speaking from an on field development point. And yes I do think playing 3-5 games to refine technique and more experience absolutely helps a player versus not, even if it’s not by a great margin it’s better than not playing games. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Counselor said:

First of all I’m not blaming anyone for sitting out and won’t hold that against them. Do I think playing a year versus not playing a year can be better for your development? Absolutely. I am strictly speaking from an on field development point. And yes I do think playing 3-5 games to refine technique and more experience absolutely helps a player versus not, even if it’s not by a great margin it’s better than not playing games. 

Oh alright. I just assumed when you referred to him as "the opt out" for no reason it was condescending. I definitely read that wrong.

16 minutes ago, MD4L said:

RB1 & RB2 this year was Johnathan Taylor and Cam Akers.

I had Taylor-Dobbins-Swift-Dillon-Akers. Wish FSU had remotely competent OL while Akers was there so we could see more of what he could do in college.

• Like 1