Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Kansas City Chiefs GDT

JLambert58

5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Then there's your difference. He was a 3-4 ILB for us and as he got older he was not able to get outside on Screens and Counters etc... He was not effective at OLB either. Sounds like a 4-3 OLB may be his best fit for where his skillset is today.

huh?  I can find numerous clips of Timmons going sideline-to-sideline and making plays last year.  Yes, he has lost a step or more from his 1st contract  but not as much as the drop-off from going from Timmons to Williams.  Money on a C$3 contract with a declining athlete while having younger players to pay is the reason they did not offer the contract he got in Miami.  He is better than Williams on all aspects of the game.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

huh?  I can find numerous clips of Timmons going sideline-to-sideline and making plays last year.  Yes, he has lost a step or more from his 1st contract  but not as much as the drop-off from going from Timmons to Williams.  Money on a C$3 contract with a declining athlete while having younger players to pay is the reason they did not offer the contract he got in Miami.  He is better than Williams on all aspects of the game.

I think there was obvious and significant decline in his ability to be effective getting to the outside. I certainly wouldn't disagree that he would be an upgrade over VW but that's where the money comes into play. Seems like we're saying the same thing.

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We don't really have any money. Also, getting Bowman up to speed would take awhile. I think we have much bigger issues than at ILB.

There are ways of freeing up money.

Bowman is likely getting a fair chunk of change still from the money the 49ers owe him.  He might be willing to take a pay cut to sign with the right team.   He isnt the world beater he used to be....but still better than Vince Williams?

We do have bigger issues than ILB, but so what?   Does that mean we cant try to fix that problem?    Besides which, most of our "issues" are internal....meaning, they have to be corrected by the coaches and players causing said issues (Ben, Haley, Tomlin, etc...).   The only bigger issue that could POTENTIALLY be addressed in free agency is safety, but there really isnt anything better out there.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

There are ways of freeing up money.

Bowman is likely getting a fair chunk of change still from the money the 49ers owe him.  He might be willing to take a pay cut to sign with the right team.   He isnt the world beater he used to be....but still better than Vince Williams?

We do have bigger issues than ILB, but so what?   Does that mean we cant try to fix that problem?    Besides which, most of our "issues" are internal....meaning, they have to be corrected by the coaches and players causing said issues (Ben, Haley, Tomlin, etc...).   The only bigger issue that could POTENTIALLY be addressed in free agency is safety, but there really isnt anything better out there.

Even though he doesn’t know the defense one area I think Bowman could really help:

getting guys in the right place. 

Dude is really smart and studies a ton of film. He diagnoses plays pretty quick. That’s something Shazier and VWill both struggle with mightily. 

9 hours ago, SlevinKelevra said:

yes, why isn't this already a done deal?  if for no other reason than to avoid letting him land on the Pats

It's not the Steelers style.  He's damaged goods to a certain extent.  He'll be 30 in May.  Could he still contribute?  Probably, but will he ever be anything close to the player he used to be?  Doubtful.  

17 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

It's not the Steelers style.  He's damaged goods to a certain extent.  He'll be 30 in May.  Could he still contribute?  Probably, but will he ever be anything close to the player he used to be?  Doubtful.  

The player he used to be was an elite ILB.   If he were still that, he would still be on the 49ers and we would have no shot at him even if he did hit FA.

We dont need him to be elite.    We would just need him to be that savvy veteran who can be better than Vince Williams has been.   Vince is a solid backup but he really shouldnt be starting.    A guy like Bowman could be invaluable to this defense.    Even if his play is only average, if he can a play a similar role to what James Farrior played here his last few years, it could be a huge asset for our younger guys, and a nice stop gap for a couple years.

THAT BEING SAID....I agree its no the Steelers style and the chances of this happening are slim.     

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

The player he used to be was an elite ILB.   If he were still that, he would still be on the 49ers and we would have no shot at him even if he did hit FA.

We dont need him to be elite.    We would just need him to be that savvy veteran who can be better than Vince Williams has been.   Vince is a solid backup but he really shouldnt be starting.    A guy like Bowman could be invaluable to this defense.    Even if his play is only average, if he can a play a similar role to what James Farrior played here his last few years, it could be a huge asset for our younger guys, and a nice stop gap for a couple years.

THAT BEING SAID....I agree its no the Steelers style and the chances of this happening are slim.     

Given how many missed tackles and missed gap assignments we've seen on attempted run stops, I wouldn't be against it.  He would probably be enough better than what Williams has shown to make it worth it.  And as you point out, his veteran leadership and his toughness would be a huge asset on a young defense.  

However, I still highly doubt the Steelers would do it.  But desperate times call for desperate moves.  With what Colbert has done this year, you can't rule it out.  

matchup problem could be who is blocking Houston.  He can take over a game and if we have issues at OT, then it be a bad day for ben . Bell and the OL rushing could help, but that would also mean that Haley has to call such plays.

6 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

matchup problem could be who is blocking Houston.  He can take over a game and if we have issues at OT, then it be a bad day for ben . Bell and the OL rushing could help, but that would also mean that Haley has to call such plays.

Houston's nursing a calf injury.  I don't think he'll be 100%.

6 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Reportedly Gilbert is good to go. 

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

As good as the Chiefs are playing right now, Haley and Ben are bigger roadblocks right now than anything the Chiefs can throw at us.

Archived