Did the OLINE convert to a zone blocking scheme

Humble_Beast

Well, we won the first two games of the season handily without them so I hope that we just continue to scout, study and adjust to our opponent because I'm sure that the Bills, Dolphins and Pats are gearing up for the offense that they saw last week. It's not about one way, it's about being adaptable IMO. We need balance and new wrinkles, callbacks and deceptive designs. I predict that we will still have games where we struggle offensively and fans will moan but it will be a good thing in the long run as Downing learns from his mistakes and learns this units real abilities.

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Well, we won the first two games of the season handily without them so I hope that we just continue to scout, study and adjust to our opponent because I'm sure that the Bills, Dolphins and Pats are gearing up for the offense that they saw last week. It's not about one way, it's about being adaptable IMO. We need balance and new wrinkles, callbacks and deceptive designs. I predict that we will still have games where we struggle offensively and fans will moan but it will be a good thing in the long run as Downing learns from his mistakes and learns this units real abilities.

Downing has to do what he did last week. Open the offense up. There is ZERO reason for Carr not to be taking shots down field with this group of WRs/TEs. None. And they need to establish and not get away from running the football. Richard literally is about to break one every week. They just need to keep feeding him.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Downing has to do what he did last week. Open the offense up. There is ZERO reason for Carr not to be taking shots down field with this group of WRs/TEs. None. And they need to establish and not get away from running the football. Richard literally is about to break one every week. They just need to keep feeding him.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed Richard and Washington hit the hole so fast, tho I do believe Lynch was going to have a good game if he hadn't gotten tossed.

I mean, Lynch excelled in Seattle's zone scheme.  Those runs depend on reading from the outside in and looking for a cutback.  And your lineman getting to their spots quickly enough. Stark contrast to power runs where its inside out reads and muscle.  Its not outside the realm of possibility that Marshawn's skillset and our OLine's skillsets don't quite line up.

52 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Marshawn also makes the offensive predictable. He is no threat to catch the ball, so teams lean towards run. He could stay an block but that's just one less weapon for Carr and easier to defend.. Washington and Richard, hard to protect what's going happen..

Except he can catch the ball and Carr often checks down to him. Sure he's no Richard but he can do damage at the second level. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Even before getting tossed, it was clear they were not giving him as many touches 

His first carry was the best run he had in any game, and with the change in game plan, had he not gotten tossed I think he would have had some decent runs in this game, regardless of how many carries.

15 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Marshawn also makes the offensive predictable. He is no threat to catch the ball, so teams lean towards run. He could stay an block but that's just one less weapon for Carr and easier to defend.. Washington and Richard, hard to protect what's going happen..

While I slightly disagree in that Lynch has been a capable receiver over the course of his career, the above makes him the perfect back for the playaction pass, which hopefully we'll be using more as a few guys have noted.

7 hours ago, Darbsk said:

While I slightly disagree in that Lynch has been a capable receiver over the course of his career, the above makes him the perfect back for the playaction pass, which hopefully we'll be using more as a few guys have noted.

It's the reason we the flea flicker works for us for sure.

Archived