Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I see that point. But I think he knows the list of teams that could afford him, that he'd even want to go to, that need a QB, that make a trade even realistic pick wise and other odd factors. He's not out there requesting a trade and saying the only team he wants to go to is NO when they're like 60mill over the cap and own a late 1st rounder. He clearly wants out. And he has to be realistic in where he can go.

But you have to agree there's a middle ground be had here - Carolina has a top 10 selection and a very well constructed team, a very well respected HC along with the cap space to make it happen (with a bigger cap bump to be had if there's a solution that involves trading Teddy Bridgewater). WFT has cap and a great setup with their coaching staff, and would have a nice veteran presence in Alex Smith to help him - Watson on WFT is an immediate SB contender. Picks are lacking (all things considered) but... why would Watson care about what the franchise he's leaving gets in return?

(Both teams are in the NFC as well, so no competing in the playoffs vs Allen, Mahomes, Jackson to get to the SB - that is big, he then becomes the Mahomes of the NFC).

It just seems to convenient (to me) that his top two franchises are holding such high picks. It feels engineered by someone outside Watson's camp. 

We'll see though. 

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

But you have to agree there's a middle ground be had here - Carolina has a top 10 selection and a very well constructed team, along with the cap space to make it happen (with a bigger cap bump if there's a solution that involves trading Teddy Bridgewater). WFT has cap and a great setup with their coaching staff, and would have a nice veteran presence in Alex Smith to help him - Watson on WFT is an immediate SB contender. Picks are lacking (all things considered) but why would Watson care about that?

(Both teams are in the NFC as well, so no competing in the playoffs vs Allen, Mahomes, Jackson to get to the SB).

It just seems to convenient (to me) that his top two franchises are holding such high picks. It feels engineered by someone outside Watson's camp. 

We'll see though. 

As I said I see that point. But I look at it like this. He's due a lot of money coming up. This years hit isn't bad. But the next few years he gets paid a ton. That eliminates a lot of teams right off the bat. I think he makes like 11mill this season. So lets look at it this way. The draft costs about 6-7mill. Teams like having a few mill in space for wiggle room for in season moves as well. But to just play it safe I'll take all the teams that have at least 12mill in cap space next year (really it should be around 20mill, but I'll extend the list). This list is JAX, NYJ, IND, NE, CIN, WAS, TB, MIA, LAC, CLE, BAL, DEN, DAL. So let's cross off a few teams from here. You aren't trading him inside the division to we can cross off JAX and IND. CIN, TB, LAC, CLE, BAL all have QBs I don't see them moving on from. So now this list is NYJ, MIA, NE, WAS, DEN, DAL. Dallas I think figures out a away to keep Dak around. So I'll cross them off too. So lets look at where each of these teams are drafting. NYJ:2, MIA:3, NE:15, WAS:19, DEN:9. So if you ask me it makes sense on why NYJ and MIA are the teams that make the most sense. They're the only teams that have money, need a QB and offer a return for you guys to maybe still draft a franchise QB. Its "whoever" leaking info but doing it realistically. Really any team outside of those 5 I have in the final list of teams is far fetched and would take A LOT of craziness to get a deal done.

At the end of the day I think the Jets get him. But I see the only team competing with us for him is MIA. Bc they're really the only realistic options that makes sense for both sides. We offer the big market and his desired HC. MIA offers good weather and no state tax.

Here is what I want from the Jets

Meckhi Becton, #2, #23, 2022 1st round pick.

Then I am using #3 on a QB and #23 on a guard. I am moving Howard to Guard and starting a line up of 

Tunsil/Howard/Martin/Rookie/Becton

then My rookie QB has all the protection he will need for years to come. I am also bringing back my WRs, since we no longer have all that money tied up in watson in the coming years, we can afford to spend....

and I might potentially offer my 3rd round pick to the Lions for Stafford as a 1 year gap. 

Edited by Pastor Dillon

Just now, Pastor Dillon said:

and I might potentially offer my 3rd round pick to the Lions for Stafford as a 1 year gap. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/27/lions-have-already-talked-to-one-third-of-the-league-about-matthew-stafford/

Among the teams that have been mentioned as potential trade partners for the Lions are the Colts, 49ers, Broncos, Patriots, Football Team, Panthers, Raiders, Rams, Texans and Cowboys.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/27/lions-have-already-talked-to-one-third-of-the-league-about-matthew-stafford/

Among the teams that have been mentioned as potential trade partners for the Lions are the Colts, 49ers, Broncos, Patriots, Football Team, Panthers, Raiders, Rams, Texans and Cowboys.

in all seriousness, if we could get two 1sts this year and maybe a 2nd rounder for Watson, We could go all defense with those picks if we traded for Stafford. Get maybe a 2nd or 3rd for JJ Watt too. Considering how broken everything is, we could come away with a potential HOF QB, and before you laugh at that notion, not many guys hit 50,000 passing yards and miss the HOF. I think Stafford has 3 more seasons in him. We have the offense to win games. If we can invest in the defense around him.....could be a playoff contender next year. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But the next few years he gets paid a ton.

But all of his guarenteed money is already paid out by the Texans and the Texans take that cap hit in the form of dead cap.

Truth is - three years from now, Watson will be anywhere between $30-$42mm cap hit. With guys like Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray due their 2nd contract and with contracts escalating on a yearly basis, that $30-$42mm will be a steal - especially if you're not paying the guarenteed portions. 

I don't disagree that it's a big contract, but the cap in itself is a fungable liability - you can extend, renegotiate, cut, restructure money to make room. That's the least of everyone's concern when you're adding a weapon like Watson, teams will find the cap space.

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We have the offense to win games.

I wish I shared your optimism. I'm certain that Cal/Jack would find a way to take this current KC team to 10-6 with a single playoff W. 

I have zero faith in our FO and ownership to get anything right in respect to this.

Just now, ET80 said:

I wish I shared your optimism. I'm certain that Cal/Jack would find a way to take this current KC team to 10-6 with a single playoff W. 

I have zero faith in our FO and ownership to get anything right in respect to this.

the only thing Cal/Jack have to do with the on field product is who they hire as head coach. We have talent. I don't think those two will have much to do with the team once a season starts. 

3 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

when has Cal ever had anything to do with coaching and play calling? I am pretty sure he let BOB do whatever the heck he wanted

It's not Cal. And you know that.

13 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don't think those two will have much to do with the team once a season starts. 

Yeah, Easterby is absolutely going to be on the sideline doing as much as he wants to do with Culley now in the fold.

This hire was specifically to let Easterby do what he wants.