Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

Just now, ET80 said:

I don't disagree with you - but I have zero faith that this team has the proper Football IQ to make good with these picks. This goes far beyond this current situation, this stems back to Whitney Mercilius over Jadevion Clowney, Tashaun Gipson/Eric Murray over Tyrann Mathieu/Kareem Jackson, David Johnson over DeAndre Hopkins...

I totally see that.

I think the best thing to do is stockpile picks. Not just in this draft. The next couple drafts. Its going to take new blood to turn this thing around for you guys and that wont be done in a couple drafts. So the more ammo the better.

To put us in the equation... I even have thought about how if we did include Darnold in a trade with you guys (I don't think you guys want him). But if you did, how you could just further get more picks. If you did get Darnold, the 2nd pick and more... You could trade back that 2nd pick to a QB needy team and stockpile even more picks. If you guys are trying to do things fast... get our 2 1st this year rather than spreading it out over several years. If you could move back a few spots and get like 4 picks in the top 50 of the draft plus Darnold... that's a great start for you guys. Along with multiple 1sts going into next year as well.

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The Jets fan base knows this too well. We've had several HCs and GMs just do awful business over and over again.

But if you overpay FAs you generally can still get them. And you can draft the right players still. What we've learned as a fan base though is that if you don't change the culture from Owner to GM and HC it doesn't matter. The staff will ruin talent if they don't do things correctly. These are things I'm sure you already know. That's why I think it's best for you guys to clean house and stockpile picks.

Exactly. I mean heck... a few years ago the Jets were in this position to an extent. A joke. No one wants to go there. Yada yada. Now look at them. They might actually land Watson and really turn that franchise around. Again not a real comparison but just showing it is not impossible. 

Yes this is a mess. An utter ****show. But it can turn around. It will take a few seasons but you have to be okay with knowing that. It won't be pretty but it can work with time.

I think both of you are ignoring the elephant in the room...

dkzqciyxmt2fmk0dubap.jpg

This is Bruce Allen in Washington, this is Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville, this is Hue Jackson in Cleveland. 

As long as he's here, progress will not happen. And the owner has tripled down on him staying here - even over his franchise QB, HoF in waiting WR and HoF in waiting DE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ACO said:

Exactly. I mean heck... a few years ago the Jets were in this position to an extent. A joke. No one wants to go there. Yada yada. Now look at them. They might actually land Watson and really turn that franchise around. Again not a real comparison but just showing it is not impossible. 

Yes this is a mess. An utter ****show. But it can turn around. It will take a few seasons but you have to be okay with knowing that. It won't be pretty but it can work with time.

What might have changed for us was finally getting a GM in JD and now getting a new HC in Saleh. 2 guys that change the direction of this team.

Hope you guys don’t mind me chiming in here. 

This is all so typical of what happens when “leadership” that cut their teeth in the New England franchise are given power in a different organization, especially one with a detached owner. We saw it in Denver when Mr. B’s mental health was going downhill and Joe Ellis, who has a business, not football, background engineered the ouster of Mike Shanahan and brought in Josh McDaniels.

Paying close to attention to these things around the league, I’ve also seen it again and again in Cleveland (twice), New York, Detroit, Houston and, even with a modicum of success somehow, in Tennessee. The NE guys all seem to have this insatiable need to throw out everyone who doesn’t give loyalty to them, team personnel and players. In Denver McDaniels not only got rid of every Mike Shanahan player he could, including an All-Pro long-snapper, but went further and even replaced cafeteria, medical and IT personnel at the team’s headquarters. He would have gotten rid of even more, including a 30-year tenured head trainer, if Ellis didn’t step in and stop it. 

It came as no surprise to me that you guys took a look at Mac Jones, given the Saban/Belichick connection. Don’t be shocked to see Tua strongly considered should a trade with Miami ultimately come about, for the same reasons. 

Even new presidents from the opposite political party retain most high-level civil servants from the previous administration. I don’t understand why New England-raised football people have to throw out the baby, the bath water and the rubber ducky when they take over a team or organization. To be honest, I am floored that Easterby/Casserio hired Cully instead of McDaniels, Mayo or someone else with ties to the Pats. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2

Without trying to pat myself too much on the back, the fact that both

a.) Watson waited to make his trade request public until after the Texans finally picked a head coach and

b.) The Texans then said they have no plans to trade him in the immediate future

pretty much tack on to what I expected.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If Stafford is worth Goff and two 1sts, Watson is gonna fetch a ransom. 

While I do think you get a ton in return for him... It's not exactly as you put it. DET is taking on a big contract and really helping LAR out with Goff's huge cap hits the next few years. Also the 3rd Rounder is this draft. The 1sts are in 2022 and 2023. When trading future 1sts teams value that as late 1st rounder.... So what does this all mean? The 3 draft picks in themselves don't equate to half the value of the 2nd overall pick the Jets have this year. So that should put things in perspective for you. In essence... the Jets 2nd overall pick equates to what 4 future 1sts equals. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The 3 draft picks in themselves don't equate to half the value of the 2nd overall pick the Jets have this year. So that should put things in perspective for you. In essence... the Jets 2nd overall pick equates to what 4 future 1sts equals. 

Really, is that what the draft charts says? Because that sounds like bs to me.

I'd also hope the Caserio knows he has to come out looking good as it would be his 1st major decision as GM, don't think he wants to go out as a sucker. This also sounds like its gonna be slow played since, as mentioned numerous times, the cap hit of trading Watson is egregious and we don't have much cap space as it stands. 

Also, lets say there's a world where we find some resolution with Watson and he stays. Aren't we just one bad season away from this happening next season or the next? We'd have to right this ship pretty quickly for that not to happen. This post is starting to spiral but that's just because I'm still distraught with the whole situation.

9 minutes ago, ObotimusPrime said:

Really, is that what the draft charts says? Because that sounds like bs to me.

I'd also hope the Caserio knows he has to come out looking good as it would be his 1st major decision as GM, don't think he wants to go out as a sucker. This also sounds like its gonna be slow played since, as mentioned numerous times, the cap hit of trading Watson is egregious and we don't have much cap space as it stands. 

Also, lets say there's a world where we find some resolution with Watson and he stays. Aren't we just one bad season away from this happening next season or the next? We'd have to right this ship pretty quickly for that not to happen. This post is starting to spiral but that's just because I'm still distraught with the whole situation.

Yes that's what the charts say. And teams when trading future 1sts rate them value wise as very late 1sts. So lets even be generous and say that they value the pick as 25 (typically teams value them actually as the value of the last pick in Round 1). The 25th picks value is 720. What does that mean? The 2nd pick is worth 2600. So the 2nd pick is worth 4 future 1st rounders.