Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

28 minutes ago, tab said:

would absolutely love to see him in the NFC East

i am supremely curious what changed between November when he signed and January.

I wont turn on Watson bc to me this just feels like a business decision. Its mutually beneficial to trade him and if I'm him, I'm thinking about this as a Job and I dont want to work here any more. It's probably going to feel like a bad break up before it's said and done

I agree, this tends to be very similar to contract negotiations where it gets ugly quick. I'm curious myself what changed, it has to be more than just the GM decision. He gave Houston his all when the team was trash and for that, I'll root for him wherever her goes (minus division rivals, but that won't happen). 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Marco79 said:

It’s clear from this statement that you don’t understand why he wants out. He’s doesn’t want out because they had a losing season, he wants out because this organization is an absolute mess thanks to Easterby and Cal is continuing to go along with it. 

i think even after all that.... DW4 thought if the franchise hired Bieniemy it would be a sign of "a grown up in the room".  Somebody committed to winning and where football abilities would take precedence over faith when it came to football decisions.  Alas... JE won that battle and there is a nincompoop running the team from behind the throne.  Meaning more Hopkins-like & Cobb-esque decisions would be coming.  Who would want to waste their career in that environment? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Who would want to waste their career in that environment? 

Hell, many of us don't want to waste our Sunday afternoon watching this team - could you imagine spending your entire work week with this dysfunction, taking physical punishment for this dysfunctional franchise? 

I don't like this is all playing out, and - if I'm being honest with myself - I don't like how Watson is handling it, but I 100% understand WHY he's handling like this. As he said via Future, he's at a 10 - when you're at a 10, you're not in the mood for more broken promises (which is all but certain to be the case with Cal/Jack/Nick). He knows this FO more than any of us - more than Lance Z, Pancakes, Josina Anderson, Seth Payne, etc. So, he's acting off that knowledge.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ET80 said:
On 1/31/2021 at 6:31 AM, Bobby816 said:

The 3 draft picks in themselves don't equate to half the value of the 2nd overall pick the Jets have this year. So that should put things in perspective for you. In essence... the Jets 2nd overall pick equates to what 4 future 1sts equals. 

It's not as if the DVC is the Bible though - there are a lot of teams that don't subscribe to it, it's an arbitrary measure that's not taking much into consideration outside of draft position. 

A team like the Texans don't need one pick that is hypothetically worth three other picks - they need three picks. 

To further this point - Carolina offered 1.8 to Detroit along with additional compensation from the 2021 draft. That pick in itself is worth more than the Rams offer (depending on what your thoughts are on Jared Goff) but the quantity of the picks won out.

Teams like the Lions or Texans, quantity outweighs quality. It has to, there are a lot of holes to fill on this roster.

(It looks like we agree in principle to a deal, so it's a moot point, actually...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

3 1sts (including #2 this year) and a 1st in 2022 and 2023 and Q for Watson? 

Logically, this makes sense. If the additional firsts are in 2022 and 2023, then I would want either a 3rd next year or a 2nd in 2023 to mitigate the fact that those firsts will be later in round 1. DW4 can make average teams good, and good teams great, so I would prefer the first rounders be both this year and next year's. Overall though, I don't know if it's getting better than this. With the #2 overall, you get to pick between Wilson and Fields (I'm still split on both). Q is crazy talented and still has 3 years left on a rookie contract (including the 5th year option) at one of our biggest positions need. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

3 1sts (including #2 this year) and a 1st in 2022 and 2023 and Q for Watson? 

Texans can trade Jets Watson and pick up Darnold, Becton or Q. Williams, 2 and 23 and 2022 one.

They can then trade Darnold for at least a 2 in QB carousel.

They have just greatly enhanced their O or D  line with an elite young talent and completely restocked their 2021 draft (which currently lacks a 1 or 2) and then some, enhanced their 2022 draft and put themselves in position to draft their QB of choice in Fields or Wilson at 2. 

With rookie QB they can pay all their players and sign a few more over next 4 years.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Texans can trade Jets Watson and pick up Darnold, Becton or Q. Williams, 2 and 23 and 2022 one.

They have just greatly enhanced their O or D  line with an elite young talent and completely restocked their 2021 draft (which currently lacks a 1 or 2) and then some, enhanced their 2022 draft and put themselves in position to draft their QB of choice in Fields or Wilson at 2. With rookie QB they can pay all their players and sign a few more over next 4 years.

If Jets are bad again in 2021, which seems likely even with Watson, they can flip Jets 2022 1 to a QB needy team for a kings ransom setting them up for a decade or so.

Just now, dll2000 said:

They have just greatly enhanced their O or D  line with an elite young talent and completely restocked their 2021 draft (which currently lacks a 1 or 2) and then some, enhanced their 2022 draft and put themselves in position to draft their QB of choice in Fields or Wilson at 2. 

With rookie QB they can pay all their players and sign a few more over next 4 years.

You guys are probably not getting the likes of Q TBH. Never mind Becton AND Q. Its not happening. Becton looked incredible as a rookie and Q is already a top tier DT. You're not getting 2 stars that are 21 and 22 on rookie deals, a QB that's worth a 2nd an 3 1st rounders.

You cant be serious in thinking that. If you think you're getting a package like that from any team... you're in the coming weeks going to be vastly disappointed in your return for Watson. Even if its not the Jets... you're not getting a package close to that. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You guys are probably not getting the likes of Q TBH. Never mind Becton AND Q. Its not happening. Becton looked incredible as a rookie and Q is already a top tier DT. You're not getting 2 stars that are 21 and 22 on rookie deals, a QB that's worth a 2nd an 3 1st rounders.

You cant be serious in thinking that. If you think you're getting a package like that from any team... you're in the coming weeks going to be vastly disappointed in your return for Watson. Even if its not the Jets... you're not getting a package close to that. 

Reread it. 

I said B OR Q, not both, and I am not a Texans fan.   

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Reread it. 

I said B OR Q, not both, and I am not a Texans fan.   

Still that doesn't equate. Q or Becton on there own fetch at least a good 1st and probably in all honesty multiple 1sts. So based on your value you're saying that the Jets should give up what is the equivalent of like 7+ 1st rounders. The 2nd overall pick is HUGE. The player you are putting in is worth lets say 2 1st and then to throw 2 more 1sts AND Darnold? Its just ridiculous. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Still that doesn't equate. Q or Becton on there own fetch at least a good 1st and probably in all honesty multiple 1sts. So based on your value you're saying that the Jets should give up what is the equivalent of like 7+ 1st rounders. The 2nd overall pick is HUGE. The player you are putting in is worth lets say 2 1st and then to throw 2 more 1sts AND Darnold? Its just ridiculous. 

Perhaps. 

It was ridiculous what Adams got.  It is ridiculous for Stafford to garner two 1s and a 3.

Eye of beholder.  Just saying were I a Texan GM that is deal I would push for.  You can not like it as a Jets fan.

The Texans have a mess on their hands. First things first: This isn’t new GM Nick Caserio’s fault, and it’s not new coach David Culley’s fault. But Deshaun Watson’s not returning the Texans’ calls, and his issues with the team, I’ve been told pretty consistently, are over the heads of both those guys, and with owner Cal McNair and EVP Jack Easterby. And I think everyone needs to settle in, because it’s going to take a while for this situation to resolve itself, one way or the other. With that in mind, here are a few things you need to know …

• Watson’s issue isn’t that he didn’t get to pick the GM or head coach. He never asked to. But he was told that he’d be consulted during the search, and he was at first. Then, he had the rug pulled from underneath him with Easterby, who he believed would be more in the background on this, steering the process toward Caserio. That led to a heck of a capper—with Watson finding out about all this on social media. No matter where you stand on this, I think we can all agree that was bad business by the Texans.

• It’s not the first time Watson was put in this sort of spot. He found out about the DeAndre Hopkins trade last March the same way. He took that, and everything else that went down this year, in stride, and put together a high-end season individually despite it all. He was excited about the fresh start the franchise was about to get—and told me as much after a win on Thanksgiving over Detroit. So that the Texans are here now represents a clinic in mismanaging a star player. Or, really, any person you work with.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/mmqb-super-bowl-week-matthew-stafford-trade-negotiations-los-angeles-rams

Just so no one get it twisted about why Watson wants out...

• Like 3