Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

18 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm... I'm so confused.

Literally, I have no idea what's going on. 

I feel like I'm watching Tenet. We're halfway through, I have no clue what's going on, and at this point I'm not even going to try to make sense of it. 

• Like 2

It's no secret that Brandin Cooks is probably the most pro-Easterby guy in the locker room, and is also Deshaun Watson's defacto #1 WR... So he should be sort of playing both sides on this, wanting to keep his QB while maintaining his friendship with Easterby.

That's... Not happening. Cooks is actually backing his QB on this one. Which should be a glimpse into how this locker room perceives Jack at present:

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/brandin-cooks-reveals-thoughts-on-qb-deshaun-watsons-texans-future

"No, I'm not worried," Brandin Cooks said on The Michael Kay Show on ESPN 98.7 when he was asked if he is concerned about losing his quarterback. "I love Deshaun to death. He's a special guy and whatever is best for him, that's what I want to happen."

"One way or the other,'' he said, "I just want to see him continue to thrive. That's what I'm worried about."

When asked about supporting Watson as the QB potentially sets a precedent with the league, Cooks backed his quarterback.

Said Cooks: "100 percent. Absolutely. At the end of the day when you've got the opportunity to do what you think is the best for yourself, you do that because we got tossed around back and forth when we don't have the power. But when you have it, you better hold on to it."

• Like 2

I think if I'm the GM, I hold off on trading Watson till next year. Here's why:

1. Potential opportunity to make things right with Watson. At worst, they can honestly tell fans that they tried to fix things. 

2. Gives other teams time to built up draft capital to make the trade, so we aren't restricted to what's on the market currently.

3. If Watson sits, we get an honest to god tank year and we'll own the 2022 draft

4. Maybe a Joe Burrow type QB appears in the draft next year. But I didnt think anything about Herbert in last year's draft so IDK, if there's a guy like that this maybe scratch all this and try and get him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tab said:

1. Potential opportunity to make things right with Watson. At worst, they can honestly tell fans that they tried to fix things. 

I agree with this - can't reconcile without actually trying. Put as much as you can into reconciling, don't leave until 00:00 on W17.

2 hours ago, tab said:

2. Gives other teams time to built up draft capital to make the trade, so we aren't restricted to what's on the market currently.

The no trade clause puts the kibosh on this - Watson goes where he wants to go, regardless of who has what.

2 hours ago, tab said:

3. If Watson sits, we get an honest to god tank year and we'll own the 2022 draft

Agreed, and I'd rather take a full year to evaluate the QB prospects. I feel as if the current Covid19 situation along with the late development of this Watson situation means we haven't really looked at any QB and are scouting in a rush if we're looking at this draft class. Take a full year to figure out the likes of Sam Howell, Spencer Rattler, Kendon Slovis, etc.

2 hours ago, tab said:

4. Maybe a Joe Burrow type QB appears in the draft next year. But I didnt think anything about Herbert in last year's draft so IDK, if there's a guy like that this maybe scratch all this and try and get him

I don't think we'll even get an opportunity to find a Herbert in this draft - we can't really do much in person scouting, and a lot of guys didn't even play a full season this year, so who knows what everyone in this class can do? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

The no trade clause puts the kibosh on this - Watson goes where he wants to go, regardless of who has what.

didnt he say he wasnt going to veto too many teams? It could take more competitive teams (ie teams better and smarter than us with better locker rooms) time to gather resources for such a trade, is kind of what im thinking. Like maybe the Raiders in this instance if they trade carr for next year's first from some team

Edited by tab

"When your intake exceeds your output, your upkeep will be your downfall."

- Jack Easterby

(No, seriously - he said that **** before).

That sounds like some typical corpo-speak sprinkled in with motivational garbage, but it's explaining the crapstorm the team has rained on itself by keeping Easterby at all costs.

- The intake is keeping this devil on staff. Goodness knows what he does that is positive for this forsaken franchise... but he's here.

- The output is the current situation, which will spread across this entire roster (Watson, Watt... Tunsil, Reid, Cunningham probably next... Fuller certainty gone) leaving the roster barren with overpaid "team guys" such as David Johnson, Whitney Mercilius, Randall Cobb, Eric Murray... guys who don't match their salary with their on field performance. But hey... they're nice guys, so there's that.

- The upkeep is trying to win with a roster outlined above. This was a very tough roster to win with when Deshaun Watson was playing at his best. It was correctable, but that correction was contingent on surrounding Watson with assets on both sides of the ball. Without Watson, that plan goes straight out the window.

- The downfall... Well, I'm standing on the table on my 0-16 season next year. Bad roster + bad coaching + bad FO decisions = no wins, IMO.

Jack Easterby just described the state of the 2021 Texans season. It's going to be a disaster, and it's a rolling situation until that bastard is gone.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Some of y’all hate Easterby way too much. 

No. No, not at all. If anything, I'm holding back.

He's sort of the source of everything lately. Have you read the stuff on him? 

I've been getting the feeling you're pro-Easterby - are you?

Just now, ET80 said:

No. No, not at all. If anything, I'm holding back.

He's sort of the source of everything lately. Have you read the stuff on him? 

I've been getting the feeling you're pro-Easterby - are you?

I’m not pro or anti Easterby. I can make the argument that he was the reason we traded Hopkins, I can also make the argument that he’s the reason we fired BOB. I just don’t understand the personal hatred it feels like people have for him. I hated BOB the coach, but not BOB the person. It just seems real personal with Easterby. 

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m not pro or anti Easterby. I can make the argument that he was the reason we traded Hopkins, I can also make the argument that he’s the reason we fired BOB. I just don’t understand the personal hatred it feels like people have for him. I hated BOB the coach, but not BOB the person. It just seems real personal with Easterby. 

Well, maybe Andre Johnson - Ring of Honor member, WR coach under Bill O'Brien, Team Ambassador, member of the GM/HC ad hoc committee - can provide some insight:

For reference - the last non-endorsemnt Tweet from Johnson was over a year ago (he's a paid spokesperson for Crown Royal). He broke Twitter silence to specifically call out Jack Easterby as the source of the issues in Houston - there is no lines to read between on this one, no cryptic rap lyrics. It's a team legend pointing a finger and saying "That dude right there is the problem" and everyone who ever meant anything to this franchise - Watson, Watt, Arian Foster, Duane Brown, Hopkins - all backed him up pretty quickly. Andre doesn't talk much, so when he talks... You shouldn't ignore him.

It's Jack Easterby according to a guy who was an actual coach for this franchise when Easterby was in the building and keeps in close contact with the McNair family through this whole process. This isn't a jilted ex-player, it's probably your first HoF guy ever and a guy who is still very attached to this franchise.

If that doesn't convince you Easterby's the issue that needs to be rooted out... nothing will. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It just seems real personal with Easterby. 

It's how he's maintained power. He's lied and manipulated his way to the top, he's trying to hide behind his culture as a moral high ground to keep his guys (at an incredibly high rate, higher than what's dictated for their actual performances). 

Serious question here - have you read the two articles from SI on him?

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's how he's maintained power. He's lied and manipulated his way to the top, he's trying to hide behind his culture as a moral high ground to keep his guys (at an incredibly high rate, higher than what's dictated for their actual performances). 

Serious question here - have you read the two articles from SI on him?

Yes I have read them. He doesn’t sound any different than any executive, he just happens to dislike fan favorites.