Deshaun Watson Traded to Cleveland (3FRPs)

Texansfan713

So apparently we’ve kicked the tires on Wentz. I actually wouldn’t hate this. I think he’s got a lot to offer and isn’t on too bad of deal, considering Philly already paid a huge portion of it. 

I know some of you will hate this idea because he’s an “Easterby” type guy, but I’d rather go this route than try and get a rookie QB. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So apparently we’ve kicked the tires on Wentz. I actually wouldn’t hate this. I think he’s got a lot to offer and isn’t on too bad of deal, considering Philly already paid a huge portion of it. 

I know some of you will hate this idea because he’s an “Easterby” type guy, but I’d rather go this route than try and get a rookie QB. 

Did you see Wentz last season? He was probably the worst starting QB in the league last season, by a very significant margin.

I'd take Darnold/Tua in a trade over Wentz. I'll take Ryan Fitzpatrick over Wentz. I'll take Jimmy G or Derek Carr over Wentz at this point, too... I'd consider every 1st round graded QB (except Kyle Trask - who is Brock Osweiler v 2.0, no thanks to that).

Wentz is broken at this point, that's why Philly looked for his replacement last off-season in Jalen Hurts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Did you see Wentz last season? He was probably the worst starting QB in the league last season, by a very significant margin.

I'd take Darnold/Tua in a trade over Wentz. I'll take Ryan Fitzpatrick over Wentz. I'll take Jimmy G or Derek Carr over Wentz at this point, too... I'd consider every 1st round graded QB (except Kyle Trask - who is Brock Osweiler v 2.0, no thanks to that).

Wentz is broken at this point, that's why Philly looked for his replacement last off-season in Jalen Hurts.

I wouldn’t call him the worst QB, not even close. He was playing for a team that was a mess and he needs a fresh start. 

29 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I wouldn’t call him the worst QB, not even close. He was playing for a team that was a mess and he needs a fresh start. 

And THIS team isn't a mess?

I'll look up the PFF/DVOA rankings, but it was pretty universal that Wentz was the worst QB this season - and it really wasn't close by those metrics.

17 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

Speaking from an organizational standpoint, not as a fan because I am out if they trade him, one would think you would prefer Darnold over Wentz. Maybe a 3 team trade is ideal. 

The only thing darnold has going for him is that he’s cheaper. He’s definately not better. 

why would you be out if they trade Watson, when he’s forced his way out? The Texans have been very clear that they don’t want to trade him. It’s not a repeat of the Hopkins thing. 

16 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The only thing darnold has going for him is that he’s cheaper. He’s definately not better. 

They're about on the same level if you watch them - bad pocket presence, lacks the arm talent to make tight throws, makes really questionable decisions and throws into traffic, will throw up jump balls when under pressure - you're really not getting much out of either.

One thing Darnold has over Wentz is health - Wentz has only made it through an entire season twice in a five year career (three times in nine seasons if you include his college career). He's got knee, shoulder, concussion and wrist injuries that are starting to pile up on him.

22 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

why would you be out if they trade Watson, when he’s forced his way out? The Texans have been very clear that they don’t want to trade him. It’s not a repeat of the Hopkins thing. 

At this point, you're being intentionally obtuse on the subject. It's your choice to turn a blind eye to the chaos Jack Easterby brings to this franchise... but stop asking others to explain it to you.

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

They're about on the same level if you watch them - bad pocket presence, lacks the arm talent to make tight throws, makes really questionable decisions and throws into traffic, will throw up jump balls when under pressure - you're really not getting much out of either.

One thing Darnold has over Wentz is health - Wentz has only made it through an entire season twice in a five year career (three times in nine seasons if you include his college career). He's got knee, shoulder, concussion and wrist injuries that are starting to pile up on him.

At this point, you're being intentionally obtuse on the subject. It's your choice to turn a blind eye to the chaos Jack Easterby brings to this franchise... but stop asking others to explain it to you.

I’m not being obtuse. If Easterby is that big of a problem for y’all, then get out now. I don’t understand why a Watson trade would be the final straw when Watson is the one asking for a trade.  Either you’ve had the final straw or your gonna stay on, the actual trade shouldn’t be the factor. If anything salvaging the situation by getting great value should make people want to stay not leave. 

I’m not being obtuse.

You are absolutely being obtuse. You're ignoring pretty much everyone who ever meant a damn for this team - 'Dre, Hop, Foster, Watson - and still working as if there's not a significant problem at the top.

People in the building are saying "Jack Easterby is the problem," and you seem content to blame everyone BUT Jack Easterby.

That's being obtuse.

If Easterby is that big of a problem for y’all, then get out now.

What do you think most - if not all - of us are doing? I'm quietly holding out hope that someone (Cal, Nick, Janice... whoever) comes to their senses, see how literally EVERYONE in the media and locally see this guy as a cancer, and fire him before more damage can be done. That's looking like less and less of a reality, but I'm still holding out hope.

I'll still talk about the team, I'll still post here and elsewhere - but as far as "being a fan" and going/watching games/buying merchandise? That's done. Those are the things the team REALLY cares about - they don't give two flips about what we say on a message board with maybe 10-12 active Texans fans.

Between going to games and spending on concessions, buying merchandise for myself and my family - I drop anywhere between $1,500 to $3,000 a year on this team (not a huge amount but not pocket change either). As long as Easterby is in that building, none of that money is going into the Texans. I'll spend it on the Astros, Rockets, Sugar Land Skeeters, UH Sports or even the Houston XFL team when they return.

That matters SIGNIFICANTLY more than a few words on this forum.

Either you’ve had the final straw or your gonna stay on, the actual trade shouldn’t be the factor.

See above. Talking on a message board doesn't constitute us being "on board". Money talks to all 32 NFL franchises - I'm saying much more by my spending habits in this respect.

If anything salvaging the situation by getting great value should make people want to stay not leave. 

Do you really have any sort of faith in this regime doing anything with any pick/player they get (regardless of value)? Sure, four FRPs sound nice - unless you draft Mitch Trubisky, Trent Richardson, Greg Robinson and Tavon Austin with those picks. Then, it's an absolute failure, which is more in line of what I think this team would do with any sort of "value" they get.

If you faith in them, I don't know how you do it, but more power to you. Everything this regime has done - hiring Caserio over Omar Khan, not interviewing Robert Selah, hiring a guy who has never been a coordinator at the NFL level to be a HC - tells me that even basic decision making is absolutely lost on this FO. It's a culture of bad decision making here, I don't know how you can say otherwise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this team is a Watson trade away from going 0-16. And I'd rather spend my money on something more productive if this is the direction this franchise is going.

Maybe one day that'll change, but as long as Jacky boy is in the building, don't hold your breath.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

You are absolutely being obtuse. You're ignoring pretty much everyone who ever meant a damn for this team - 'Dre, Hop, Foster, Watson - and still working as if there's not a significant problem at the top.

People in the building are saying "Jack Easterby is the problem," and you seem content to blame everyone BUT Jack Easterby.

That's being obtuse.

What do you think most - if not all - of us are doing? I'm quietly holding out hope that someone (Cal, Nick, Janice... whoever) comes to their senses, see how literally EVERYONE in the media and locally see this guy as a cancer, and fire him before more damage can be done. That's looking like less and less of a reality, but I'm still holding out hope.

I'll still talk about the team, I'll still post here and elsewhere - but as far as "being a fan" and going/watching games/buying merchandise? That's done. Those are the things the team REALLY cares about - they don't give two flips about what we say on a message board with maybe 10-12 active Texans fans.

Between going to games and spending on concessions, buying merchandise for myself and my family - I drop anywhere between $1,500 to $3,000 a year on this team (not a huge amount but not pocket change either). As long as Easterby is in that building, none of that money is going into the Texans. I'll spend it on the Astros, Rockets, Sugar Land Skeeters, UH Sports or even the Houston XFL team when they return.

That matters SIGNIFICANTLY more than a few words on this forum.

See above. Talking on a message board doesn't constitute us being "on board". Money talks to all 32 NFL franchises - I'm saying much more by my spending habits in this respect.

Do you really have any sort of faith in this regime doing anything with any pick/player they get (regardless of value)? Sure, four FRPs sound nice - unless you draft Mitch Trubisky, Trent Richardson, Greg Robinson and Tavon Austin with those picks. Then, it's an absolute failure, which is more in line of what I think this team would do with any sort of "value" they get.

If you faith in them, I don't know how you do it, but more power to you. Everything this regime has done - hiring Caserio over Omar Khan, not interviewing Robert Selah, hiring a guy who has never been a coordinator at the NFL level to be a HC - tells me that even basic decision making is absolutely lost on this FO. It's a culture of bad decision making here, I don't know how you can say otherwise.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this team is a Watson trade away from going 0-16. And I'd rather spend my money on something more productive if this is the direction this franchise is going.

Maybe one day that'll change, but as long as Jacky boy is in the building, don't hold your breath.

We’ve got a completely new front office and you are already hating on choices they haven’t even made yet. 

the Texans needed a complete culture change, the culture was toxic long before Easterby got here. We’ve been the Detroit lions of the AFC. I LOVE that we are cleaning house from top to bottom. 

15 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We’ve got a completely new front office and you are already hating on choices they haven’t even made yet. 

... Ignoring most of my post. Noted.

As far as your question - Yes, I'm hating on th choices because they're right now making horrible decisions right off the bat. David Culley, Tim Kelly and Lovie Smith are HORRIBLE hires. Absolutly bottom-of-the-barrel hires. But, that's your leadership team here, for better or worse.

Let me flip this on you - what have they done to earn your trust (outside of they're not Bill O'Brien)?

the Texans needed a complete culture change, the culture was toxic long before Easterby got here.

But he made it WORSE according to people actually in the building. It wasn't good, but he made it worse - and he's still here.

This is what I mean by saying you're being obtuse to this situation. You're ignoring this for some reason, despite some big names saying otherwise. 

We’ve been the Detroit lions of the AFC.

And we're going to stop being that because... ?

I LOVE that we are cleaning house from top to bottom.

We're not though, because one of the main sources of the issue - according to people who are actually in the building - is still in the building.

Why can't you acknowledge this? Quit trying to side step this, why can't you call out Easterby for what he is, as validated by others?

25 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

the Texans needed a complete culture change, the culture was toxic long before Easterby got here. We’ve been the Detroit lions of the AFC. I LOVE that we are cleaning house from top to bottom. 

How so? The Lions last divisional title was in the early 90s. The Texans have won what? 4 titles. Yea yea we're all losers if you dont win the SB, but that's ridiculous. It seems that most people accept problems started to arise when Bob McNaire passed away, Easterby was hired followed by Gaines getting fired. Cal simply trusted B.O.B and Easterby to run the team b/c he knew he was incapable. (Who in their right mind gives B.o.B full control of the team after the historic playoff loss we suffered through?) Plenty of owners would of stepped in and stopped the BS trades that dumb and dumber have put together. The FO is cleaning house while avoiding the leak in the ceiling. 

Edited by ObotimusPrime
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, ET80 said:

... Ignoring most of my post. Noted.

As far as your question - Yes, I'm hating on th choices because they're right now making horrible decisions right off the bat. David Culley, Tim Kelly and Lovie Smith are HORRIBLE hires. Absolutly bottom-of-the-barrel hires. But, that's your leadership team here, for better or worse.

Let me flip this on you - what have they done to earn your trust (outside of they're not Bill O'Brien)?

But he made it WORSE according to people actually in the building. It wasn't good, but he made it worse - and he's still here.

This is what I mean by saying you're being obtuse to this situation. You're ignoring this for some reason, despite some big names saying otherwise. 

And we're going to stop being that because... ?

We're not though, because one of the main sources of the issue - according to people who are actually in the building - is still in the building.

Why can't you acknowledge this? Quit trying to side step this, why can't you call out Easterby for what he is, as validated by others?

Easterby was hired to change the culture, he’s changing the culture and people from the old culture don’t like that. That’s to be expected. It’s way too early to tell whether it’s gonna work out in the long run. 

I’ll give you that the HC hire was absolutely a disaster. I’ll give you that one. 

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Easterby was hired to change the culture, he’s changing the culture and people from the old culture don’t like that.

Correction - nobody likes it.

Even going into last season, Watson himself said "we need a culture shift" and that was a direct shot at Easterby. Watson - who by all accounts is a GREAT person off the field and a true leader in the locker room - was specifically talking about Easterby.

What's so "toxic" about Watson that his view of culture isn't what this team needs?

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It’s way too early to tell whether it’s gonna work out in the long run. 

Running off one of the best players in football at the most important position in sports isn't a good start - because let's not mince words here, Easterby is running him off. 

8 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’ll give you that the HC hire was absolutely a disaster. I’ll give you that one. 

The coordinators are a disaster too - but they all have one thing in common, they won't question Easterby and his decisions. In the corporate/executive world, this is called surrounding yourself with "Yes" men. 

You want to frame this as a culture change - it's not, it's a megalomaniacal power grab by a man who is insulating himself by people who are designed to take the fall for him once it fails.

That's what a dictator does.