2021 New York Jets State of the Roster

KingOfNewYork

Our roster is looking alright. Bravo Joe D. Next year might be the first year we don’t make major FA signings.

Our biggest needs going forward are likely outside corner and edge opposite of Lawson. Those are usually best addressed with premium picks. And we just happened to have two 1st round picks. Aside from that, we really just need to kept securing the OL and adding some complimentary players here and there.

Edited by SDotNova

4 hours ago, NewAge said:

Connor Hughes seems to think Perine is in danger of not making the roster. 

That would surprise me. But Perine isn't a great rusher. His value is in the passing game. And Carter quite frankly is better than him at that. For me I'd rather keep him Perine around and get rid of another guy. For me Coleman should be cut. Roll with Carter, Perine and Johnson. 

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

Alright I see the disconnect here. You know I wanted CB as a top draft pick. We did not get one so our CB unit is still poor. Probably the most talent deficient group on the team. You want a vet to play opposite Hall.

If we get a vet how long would you expect him to play at a high level?  Sherman is 33. Nelson is 28. They will help for 2021. I say so what. Will we be challenging for a playoff spot this year. Realistically, no. In 2022 when you could be in better position for a playoff spot it could very well be that Nelson or Sherman will be a weak spot. In other words, a vet CB is maybe the now and not the immediate future. So here we are right now with a some young CBs. Austin, Jackson and whoever we selects to challenge them on the outside. Let’s see them play. If they suck, we know we need to go CB high next year. And if any show promise, maybe we go for something else. But we won’t know if the don’t play and are being blocked by some old guy on then downside of his career. FA vets are meant to fill immediate holes until a young guy is drafted on a team maybe in win now mode. If we were in win now, absolutely, get one or two. We are still rebuilding and blocking youth from seeing what we have may not be the best course of action right now. 

Not really discontent with what’s going on more so just eying a weakness which can be quite easily remedied. 

Personally I don’t think it suitable to be throwing all these young guys in the mix for two/three starting spots at corner. If we can’t cover anyone it impacts the pass rush and seeing what we have there and the defense overall. If we are down big each week because we can’t cover anyone then does it force us to demand more from a Zach; therefore limiting his natural growth? 

If we did sign a guy like Sherman for instance; who’s to say his leadership and mentoring (and the fact he can still play at a high level) won’t be a huge boost to all these young talents careers. Who’s our leader in the cb room?? Bless Austin with his 18 career games? Big time no-no for me. 

I’d love nothing more than all the young guys on the roster can work their way into starting positions and we have this amazing young homegrown team but chances are very unlikely that it all just works perfectly. No problem then learning the ropes behind a solid vet IMO. 

18 minutes ago, xrade said:

Alright I see the disconnect here. You know I wanted CB as a top draft pick. We did not get one so our CB unit is still poor. Probably the most talent deficient group on the team. You want a vet to play opposite Hall.

If we get a vet how long would you expect him to play at a high level?  Sherman is 33. Nelson is 28. They will help for 2021. I say so what. Will we be challenging for a playoff spot this year. Realistically, no. In 2022 when you could be in better position for a playoff spot it could very well be that Nelson or Sherman will be a weak spot. In other words, a vet CB is maybe the now and not the immediate future. So here we are right now with a some young CBs. Austin, Jackson and whoever we selects to challenge them on the outside. Let’s see them play. If they suck, we know we need to go CB high next year. And if any show promise, maybe we go for something else. But we won’t know if the don’t play and are being blocked by some old guy on then downside of his career. FA vets are meant to fill immediate holes until a young guy is drafted on a team maybe in win now mode. If we were in win now, absolutely, get one or two. We are still rebuilding and blocking youth from seeing what we have may not be the best course of action right now. 

The issue with that is CBs have a lot of ups and downs. So the picture is rarely clear with them. I mean look at Austin for example. He's been with us for 2 years and we still don't know how good he is. Bc he will look great 1 week and awful the next. Heck even Hall isn't a given for sure starter if you ask me. He needs to compete to be a full time starter. Do I think he will win the job. Yes. But he's not proven enough yet.

I totally hear you, that let the young guys battle it out. Competition should only make everyone better. But at a certain point you still need the talent. I like the skill set of a lot of these young guys. But they have to prove it on Sundays as you said. And opportunity is what they need. Yes adding a vet helps us win. But letting the young guys play could help us find that next "Sherman." Its a hard situation.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

But letting the young guys play could help us find that next "Sherman." Its a hard situation.

I guess for me it’s more about the evaluation of the position group and how aggressive we need to be next year. It is less about finding the next “Sherman” and more about evaluating what we have. Can’t evaluate them if the play sparingly behind a guy that is not the future of this team.

Don’t get me wrong. I want to see this team win starting next year. But I also want to see a team that will be talked about as playoff bound for the next 10 years. Of course, come FB Sunday, I’ll be cursing the TV when a young CB lets up a big TD and I will question why we did not sign a vet. But that is just emotions. 

12 minutes ago, xenajets said:

If we can’t cover anyone it impacts the pass rush and seeing what we have there and the defense overall. If we are down big each week because we can’t cover anyone then does it force us to demand more from a Zach; therefore limiting his natural growth? 

I’m not sure it will impact Zack. If anything it gives him even more opportunities to play. Pass rush impact, sure. As for vet mentor, it is nice but that is the job of the DB coach. And no I am not naive enough to think having a vet mentor in the locker room isn’t beneficial, but I do think it is over rated. Certainly less beneficial than allowing the young guys to play and make mistakes this year and be able to properly identify what we really need going into the season in 2022.

I do find it odd that a CB was not selected higher or a vet not already signed. I wonder if JD pivoted on that when AVT was within range or Moore was still on the board at 34. Could be that Stokes was an option take at 33. Or could JD be happy with what we currently have? I guess we’ll find out. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

I guess for me it’s more about the evaluation of the position group and how aggressive we need to be next year. It is less about finding the next “Sherman” and more about evaluating what we have. Can’t evaluate them if the play sparingly behind a guy that is not the future of this team.

Don’t get me wrong. I want to see this team win starting next year. But I also want to see a team that will be talked about as playoff bound for the next 10 years. Of course, come FB Sunday, I’ll be cursing the TV when a young CB lets up a big TD and I will question why we did not sign a vet. But that is just emotions. 

I hear ya on that. And JD in this regard is hard to judge. I mean you would've thought he would've done this at RB last year and then he went and signed Gore. And that took away a lot of snaps from Perine and Johnson. To really show what they have. Kinda did this at DE this year with signing Curry instead of letting Huff, Zuniga and a rookie get more snaps. Joyner at S taking snaps "in essence" away from Davis. I know its normal to want to young new guys to get snaps. Especially when you think they might even be better than the vet. But you cant really just roll out a bunch of guys under 25 and expect to win games. There has to be some vet presence on the field. Clarke probably from a talent perspective is better than GVR. But I think GVR will start over him. The thing about our CB room right now, is there is 0 vets. Its loads of young guys. So young guys will get a chance regardless. But to sign a guy like Poole whos 28, a guy like Nelson whos 28 isn't exactly a rental. These guys have a few good years left in them. That's not me saying sign them to a huge contract. Its just saying its not a band aid signing. They're guys really in their prime. Sherman is a different story bc of his age.

Is Nelson really any good?  Why did Pitt cut him? Financial?

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean you would've thought he would've done this at RB last year and then he went and signed Gore. And that took away a lot of snaps from Perine and Johnson

There is no doubt in my mind Gore was a gase thing. Remember, gase and JD were both reporting to Chrissy. gase probably went to Chrissy whining about needing Gore.

As for Curry, he has been and will be a rotational guy. I can easily see Huff, Zuniga and Curry getting 1/3 of the defensive snaps. That rotation happens less frequently at outside CB. A team has two starters and unless there is a problem, they don’t rotate much.

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

Is Nelson really any good?  Why did Pitt cut him? Financial?

There is no doubt in my mind Gore was a gase thing. Remember, gase and JD were both reporting to Chrissy. gase probably went to Chrissy whining about needing Gore.

As for Curry, he has been and will be a rotational guy. I can easily see Huff, Zuniga and Curry getting 1/3 of the defensive snaps. That rotation happens less frequently at outside CB. A team has two starters and unless there is a problem, they don’t rotate much.

Nelson situation is a financial issue. I hear that he is very mind of money so Steelers don't want to deal with it in near future. Whatever.

15 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Nelson situation is a financial issue. I hear that he is very mind of money so Steelers don't want to deal with it in near future. Whatever.

I she also a relative of Revis?

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

That would surprise me. But Perine isn't a great rusher. His value is in the passing game. And Carter quite frankly is better than him at that. For me I'd rather keep him Perine around and get rid of another guy. For me Coleman should be cut. Roll with Carter, Perine and Johnson. 

Even if you cut Coleman, Josh Adams could potentially beat out Perine too if they're only carrying 3 RBs.

If the pass rush is great the Corners don’t have to cover long. If the pass rush is great then teams will max protect so then Corners have to cover longer but have help with all 3 routes on the field. 

If the pass rush is trash then we won’t stop anyone anyway. 

It starts with the pass rush. 

27 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If the pass rush is great the Corners don’t have to cover long. If the pass rush is great then teams will max protect so then Corners have to cover longer but have help with all 3 routes on the field. 

If the pass rush is trash then we won’t stop anyone anyway. 

It starts with the pass rush. 

Yes the front 7 should as whole make the secondaries job a lot easier. Lawson, Q, Rankins will create havoc.

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

Even if you cut Coleman, Josh Adams could potentially beat out Perine too if they're only carrying 3 RBs.

On talent and productivity alone, I agree. But Perine was a 4th? round pick by JD just last year. GM’s are loathe to give up a draft pick so quickly. Adam’s, Guerriro and maybe Coleman would be cut lose before Perine.