2021 New York Jets State of the Roster

KingOfNewYork

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

He went to like 5 pro bowls previous to last year though. He’s still 27 as well. I’d take a shot on him

He’s gotten progressively worse every year over the last 3 years I’d rather just let the guys we have fight it out for that spot. Would like to see Clarke win so we can figure out what we have in him. No too stressed though McGovern now only has to worry about helping 1 side instead of both now lol

So trying to look at who are our more than likely for sure starters. And then I'll end it with the posotions I left out and what I think about them.

QB: Wilson

RB: ?

WR: Davis, Crowder, Mims, Moore

TE: Herndon

LT: Becton

LG: AVT

OC: McGovern

RG: ?

RT: Fant

DE: Lawson

DT: Q. Williams

DT: Rankins

DE: ?

LB: Mosley

LB: Davis

LB: ?

CB: Hall

CB: ?

FS: Maye

SS: Joyner

SO......

RB: IMO Carter should be the starter for us if he can grasp the offense. He can play all 3 downs. Can catch and pass protect. In all honesty Perine after him is the only one who I think should for sure still have a roster spot. I'm inclined to say stay young there and keep Johnson and cut Coleman (his deal isn't guaranteed if I remember correctly).

RG: As of now GVR is the starting RG. With not seeing anything on Clarke, it's hard to imagine he wins the job. TC and all with clear this picture for us. In a perfect world Clarke winning the job would be huge for us to have 3 very young OL starters. But I just think Clarke just wont be ready yet. This is also a position I do wonder if we try and still upgrade. GVR and Lewis' contracts are done guaranteed money wise. So we can cut both of them easily. But we do still need depth. We will see how this plays out.

DE: We have 3 guys pretty much to battle this out. Curry the vet, Huff the undersized athletic speed rusher and Zuniga who we spent a valuable pick on last year, but battled injury. In a perfect world again... hopefully one of the young guys can win the job. Giving us 2 nice young edges. But more than likely Curry we still got a lot of snaps there still. In my perfect world Huff maybe gained some weight and can win the spot in camp. Its DE, so everyone will get snaps bc it is a position we like rotating. So if someone is playing great, it will show. Bc all 3 of these guys will get snaps.

LB: As of now this job is Cashman's. But these S/LB hybrids we have can change a lot. We might get creative with our S play as well. Our 2 rookies in Sherwood and Hamsah fit this new LB/S role we like. They will get snaps. Cashman we have to remember is an athletic LB in his own right. But he is undersized. Saleh might like the size of these rookies a bit more for coverage and such. Our DL and other 2 LBs can allow these LB/S guys to run around free and make hits and such.

CB: This is our most complicated position group right now. I do think one of Nelson or Poole are brought in soon. Clearing up the picture for us for 1 of the CB spots besides Hall. But all dig into this as if they aren't here, bc they're not. Austin we'd have to imagine is slated in as the outside CB right now and Guidry maybe for the slot. The X factor in this all is Davis. He was drafted as a S, but with this new scheme and us adding Joyner, he might be more served as a FS/Nickel now. This might be why we haven't gone so hard after CBs in FA and high in the draft. We might see Davis as a starting CB for us and a chess piece to move around. Pinnock is a guy I like to challenge for some outside CB snaps. He has the tools, he just needs to get there game speed wise at times. I think with our coaching he can be a starting CB at some point for us. Echols and Carter offer different skill sets but both have a nose for the ball. CB is a position you need a lot of depth at. So to have all these CBs is needed. Saleh has a history of getting good production out of mid and late round CBs. So we have to trust him a bit here. 

10 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think beyond what was around him he made the strides he needed to as a player. Even under circumstances his first 2 years that weren't ideal he had them competing. He was throwing to Cole Beasley and John Brown in 2019 and then 2020 the only difference was Stefon Diggs but he wouldn't singlehandedly account for an almost 11% point jump in completion percentage and over 1 years more in YPA. I give Allen a lot of credit for improving. 

I give Allen credit for improving beyond just the O additions. I was merely pointing out that Buffalo spread their O build over 2-3 years. We went all in on O in one year. It does not matter all that much if the QB does not improve if needed. Allen did. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

can play all 3 downs. Can catch and pass protect. In all honesty Perine after him is the only one who I think should for sure still have a roster spot. I'm inclined to say stay young there and keep Johnson and cut Coleman (his deal isn't guaranteed if I remember correctly).

Good write up. I agree. At RB, I think Adam’s and Pete Guerrero are more likely cut candidates. That would leave us with 4 RB’s. Not sure if all 4 will be active on game day. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So trying to look at who are our more than likely for sure starters. And then I'll end it with the posotions I left out and what I think about them.

QB: Wilson

RB: ?

WR: Davis, Crowder, Mims, Moore

TE: Herndon

LT: Becton

LG: AVT

OC: McGovern

RG: ?

RT: Fant

DE: Lawson

DT: Q. Williams

DT: Rankins

DE: ?

LB: Mosley

LB: Davis

LB: ?

CB: Hall

CB: ?

FS: Maye

SS: Joyner

SO......

RB: IMO Carter should be the starter for us if he can grasp the offense. He can play all 3 downs. Can catch and pass protect. In all honesty Perine after him is the only one who I think should for sure still have a roster spot. I'm inclined to say stay young there and keep Johnson and cut Coleman (his deal isn't guaranteed if I remember correctly).

RG: As of now GVR is the starting RG. With not seeing anything on Clarke, it's hard to imagine he wins the job. TC and all with clear this picture for us. In a perfect world Clarke winning the job would be huge for us to have 3 very young OL starters. But I just think Clarke just wont be ready yet. This is also a position I do wonder if we try and still upgrade. GVR and Lewis' contracts are done guaranteed money wise. So we can cut both of them easily. But we do still need depth. We will see how this plays out.

DE: We have 3 guys pretty much to battle this out. Curry the vet, Huff the undersized athletic speed rusher and Zuniga who we spent a valuable pick on last year, but battled injury. In a perfect world again... hopefully one of the young guys can win the job. Giving us 2 nice young edges. But more than likely Curry we still got a lot of snaps there still. In my perfect world Huff maybe gained some weight and can win the spot in camp. Its DE, so everyone will get snaps bc it is a position we like rotating. So if someone is playing great, it will show. Bc all 3 of these guys will get snaps.

LB: As of now this job is Cashman's. But these S/LB hybrids we have can change a lot. We might get creative with our S play as well. Our 2 rookies in Sherwood and Hamsah fit this new LB/S role we like. They will get snaps. Cashman we have to remember is an athletic LB in his own right. But he is undersized. Saleh might like the size of these rookies a bit more for coverage and such. Our DL and other 2 LBs can allow these LB/S guys to run around free and make hits and such.

CB: This is our most complicated position group right now. I do think one of Nelson or Poole are brought in soon. Clearing up the picture for us for 1 of the CB spots besides Hall. But all dig into this as if they aren't here, bc they're not. Austin we'd have to imagine is slated in as the outside CB right now and Guidry maybe for the slot. The X factor in this all is Davis. He was drafted as a S, but with this new scheme and us adding Joyner, he might be more served as a FS/Nickel now. This might be why we haven't gone so hard after CBs in FA and high in the draft. We might see Davis as a starting CB for us and a chess piece to move around. Pinnock is a guy I like to challenge for some outside CB snaps. He has the tools, he just needs to get there game speed wise at times. I think with our coaching he can be a starting CB at some point for us. Echols and Carter offer different skill sets but both have a nose for the ball. CB is a position you need a lot of depth at. So to have all these CBs is needed. Saleh has a history of getting good production out of mid and late round CBs. So we have to trust him a bit here. 

This looks about right but I think we fill some holes with the June 1 cut line.  Hayden Hurst might get cut now they have Ptts. Sp there is a lot of movemnet still going on with other teams. I still want to bring in Sherman to start on the oter side of Hall. I waant Stingley Jr from LSU next year bad. This guys is goinf to be really good and a lock down CB for years that can play both man cover and zone. I think we will be surprised on the June 1 cuts because of the tight window for cap space. I still want a vet guy to come in and work with Wilson. James Morgan will be the backup for this team for a long time. He just needs 1 more year to make it work. 

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Still think we need at least one vet cb

For what purpose?  At this point, let’s allow the young CBs  to battle it out in TC and get on the field. Let’s see what we have so we know going into next year.  If we were playoff ready, then absolutely look for a vet.  Starting an older player at outside CB will stunt the growth of the young guys in that we will be going into next year wondering if they can actually play.

As for Lattimore, that would be a great pickup. He is still young and will be around a few more years. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

For what purpose?  At this point, let’s allow the young CBs  to battle it out in TC and get on the field. Let’s see what we have so we know going into next year.  If we were playoff ready, then absolutely look for a vet.  Starting an older player at outside CB will stunt the growth of the young guys in that we will be going into next year wondering if they can actually play.

As for Lattimore, that would be a great pickup. He is still young and will be around a few more years. 

Well for the purpose we have lots of low round cornerbacks/UDFA and zero definitive quality starters. Hall looked good towards the end of last year and Bless has shown flashes but mainly inconsistent. All the other guys are UDFA from last year and some low round rookies this year. 

Who’s going to be the veteran presence to help these guys and provide quality starting play from week one. Not by week 8 or 12 when the younger guys ‘maybe’ become accustomed. 

CB was one of our weakest position groups last year and prior to FA. I think most would concur to that statement. Factor in our best Cb is also still a FA. All we’ve done is bring in some low round rookies to an already poor positional group. 

49 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Well for the purpose we have lots of low round cornerbacks/UDFA and zero definitive quality starters. Hall looked good towards the end of last year and Bless has shown flashes but mainly inconsistent. All the other guys are UDFA from last year and some low round rookies this year. 

Who’s going to be the veteran presence to help these guys and provide quality starting play from week one. Not by week 8 or 12 when the younger guys ‘maybe’ become accustomed. 

CB was one of our weakest position groups last year and prior to FA. I think most would concur to that statement. Factor in our best Cb is also still a FA. All we’ve done is bring in some low round rookies to an already poor positional group. 

Alright I see the disconnect here. You know I wanted CB as a top draft pick. We did not get one so our CB unit is still poor. Probably the most talent deficient group on the team. You want a vet to play opposite Hall.

If we get a vet how long would you expect him to play at a high level?  Sherman is 33. Nelson is 28. They will help for 2021. I say so what. Will we be challenging for a playoff spot this year. Realistically, no. In 2022 when you could be in better position for a playoff spot it could very well be that Nelson or Sherman will be a weak spot. In other words, a vet CB is maybe the now and not the immediate future. So here we are right now with a some young CBs. Austin, Jackson and whoever we selects to challenge them on the outside. Let’s see them play. If they suck, we know we need to go CB high next year. And if any show promise, maybe we go for something else. But we won’t know if the don’t play and are being blocked by some old guy on then downside of his career. FA vets are meant to fill immediate holes until a young guy is drafted on a team maybe in win now mode. If we were in win now, absolutely, get one or two. We are still rebuilding and blocking youth from seeing what we have may not be the best course of action right now.