2021 New York Jets State of the Roster

KingOfNewYork

22 hours ago, xrade said:

It is a fair question. Yes it is wold have been better to do one or the other. The issue is that we need a long term answer at QB. Picking 2 affords that. I still want a vet to start at least until the OL proves capable. The good thing is if Wilson is the pick, he is very good at escaping pressure and still delivering an accurate pass. He may have need of that skill early on.

The other issue is the need to show improvement from here on out. We would not have improved much by keeping Sam and drafting OL. We would have still been in need of a QB next year but would have to trade up to get one.  This is a plug the holes year to keep the ship from sinking. Next year is the upgrade and draft future replacements to make a long term run. The clock is ticking on JD.

Reason three is optics. Could you imagine the **** storm if JD passed on a QB?  Right or wrong it would be a lot of heat. 

There were several opportunities to trade down...heck, there may still be...and still get the quarterback. Without the added pressure of picking Darnold's successor even earlier than he was picked.

I really hate the idea that Wilson is so much better than the other three guys that we are locked in on him. We should not be. Any of the five guys would be fine for us. But we are treating Wilson as if he is Lawrence, and he is not. He is nowhere near ready for that kind of scrutiny and pressure. There should have only been one slam dunk in this draft, and we have created a second one without the pedigree or results that guys like Lawrence and Burrow have/had. 

I am a big believer in the psychology of sports, and right now I feel as though we are not doing well in that department. We are basically telling yet another raw kid to save this pathetic franchise. And when he fails, we are going to find every excuse in the world to justify it. That is what happened with Darnold, and that is the path we are still on. 

The clock is definitely ticking on JD, that much I agree with. He could have maximized our assets way way more than he did this off-season, to ensure that we did not have to put all of our eggs in the basket of a 6'0" quarterback from BYU. He did not.

So that is where we are at. This off-season, which began with so much hope and promise (Saleh, Deshaun Watson trade talk) has faded away. Now, it's basically Zach Wilson has to become a HOFer or else we are once again up Schitt's Creek.

This is the life of a Jets fan.

10 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I really hate the idea that Wilson is so much better than the other three guys that we are locked in on him

The thing is that it is irrelevant what we think, only JD’s thoughts matter. Personally, I do think Wilson is that much better than the others. I also like Fields but there is a reason he is falling and we don’t know what it is. Medical?  It is for this unknown reason that I place Wilson that much higher than him. As for the rest, they are all much larger projects. I believe Jones will bust like most of the other Bama QB’s. Their system makes QB’s look really good. Lance is way too much of a gamble given his limited playing time.

You seem to ignore the realities of the modern NFL. Coaches and GM’s have a finite amount of time to turn around a struggling program. Waiting another year for a QB or rolling with a QB that failed here would only set them back another year. You also seem to ignore the optics of passing in a QB. The media would crucify them. Woody would be pissed. Not good for job security.

But let’s say JD has the fortitude to ignore all the crap and trade down with the idea of getting a lesser QB later or next year. I assume a top OT would be to your liking. What’s to say that OT even pans out. What if plays like last years first picked OT - Thomas. Do we even need an OT? Fant should play much better in LaFleurs system. Not that he was that bad to begin with.

Reposting in here.  JD has been navigating the draft perfectly IMO.  With the way the board has fallen both years and how he is valuing positions, his draft strategy deserves an A+.  Whether or not the picks work out depend on the coaching and how the players grow as men, but his strategy deserves at least an A.

2020- BPA at two positions we were desperate for talent.  OL and WR you need your horses.  Then positions where you rotate he addressed later....RB, CB, S, DE.

2021- This is an offensive league and we need to figure it out.  Get your QB and protect him.  Then we add another BPA weapon.  Once again addressing a position that is rotation heavy (RB) in Round 4.  A young QB will thrive with protection and versatile weapons.  We have 5 WRs who can play, still have Cager who should get a shot, we have 3-4 RBs who have potential to do well in this scheme.  We locked in that talent.  The way Saleh can coach up the defense, we don't need to bring in early picks (yet). Majority of DBs, LBs and DL all rotate.  We are spending high picks on guys who will contribute every snap.  The later rounds we are plugging the role players and developmental guys in.  Drafting a falling Elijah Moore is way more valuable than Etienne or Williams.  Especially in this system.  

We've spent high picks on Safeties that haven't helped the team enough.  We've spent high picks on DL that haven't impacted the team enough.  Now we have the foundation at these crucial positions so in the future if we do draft a Jamal Adams, that player can have a bigger impact.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

This is an offensive league and we need to figure it out.

And it would stand to reason you need a D to combat that. Funny but the rest of the teams in our division know that this year. 

20 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Once again addressing a position that is rotation heavy (RB) in Round 4

20 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Majority of DBs, LBs and DL all rotate.  We are spending high picks on guys who will contribute every snap.

So we get a RB that will rotate and contribute every snap?  It is OK for O to rotate and be important but not D?

I have no problem with Carter. I like the kid and glad we got him. I don’t like JD sitting on his *** and letting all the potential D contributors go off the board. Our pass D will be bad next year. 

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

And it would stand to reason you need a D to combat that. Funny but the rest of the teams in our division know that this year. 

So we get a RB that will rotate and contribute every snap?  It is OK for O to rotate and be important but not D?

I don't know what this means.

I have no problem with Carter. I like the kid and glad we got him. I don’t like JD sitting on his *** and letting all the potential D contributors go off the board. Our pass D will be bad next year. 

We are building an identity.  Did we lose last year because we had Austin and Hall at CB? Hell no.  We were ATROCIOUS on offense.  Michael Carter, AVT and Moore will have wayyyy more of an impact than a CB we take at those spots.

Plus now that we are filling our offense, next season we can jump on the best CB.

Our DL is pretty good on defense. I bet we end up signing someone like Richard Sherman at CB. 

You can't fix everything in one off-season, but ignoring the offense would be exactly what we did in the past and we screwed up Darnold because of it. The first goal is to make sure your QB can have an environment where they can thrive.  We aren't a playoff team regardless. Next year when we have tons of cap space, and tons of draft picks. We can get some defense. But we are setting up the foundations of this team. 

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

@xradewhat 4th round CBs will honestly contribute more than Carter?  In a rotation with similar carries, he averaged 100 yards per game.  He had a 300 yard game! We aren't getting a CB, DE, LB here that out produces whichever RB we were selecting.  We can easily grab a guy with our 2nd 4th.

None, its a crap shoot at this point. But I am confident that Carter will be a baller in the NFL, hes going to be a productive pro.  The only other pick I would have made was Jabril Cox who I think could have started at WLB for us, but he has a major shoulder injury. 

I am a fan of this draft, we are setting things up for Wilson to succeed. Every one of our draft picks so far I think have significant roles as rookies, that is an impressive draft IMO. 

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

@xradewhat 4th round CBs will honestly contribute more than Carter?  In a rotation with similar carries, he averaged 100 yards per game.  He had a 300 yard game! We aren't getting a CB, DE, LB here that out produces whichever RB we were selecting.  We can easily grab a guy with our 2nd 4th.

As I stated I like Carter. Glad we got him. I am just a little disappointed JD is not being a little more aggressive to move up and get a D player which I also mentioned.

But to answer your question. I would like to see Nasilrideen to play big nickel since we don’t have any OLB. I would also like to see Mukuamu as a developmental CB that maybe gets to play a bit and learn so he can compete for a starting gig next year.  Weaver would be a nice 5T but I wonder why he is falling. Building a team is not only about immediate contributions but what you hope to gain in a year. With every CB that goes off the board, we will need to rely on a top CB next year that will have some growing pains because of the difficulty to transition. 

Glancing at the rest of the division's draft class, it looks like everyone got a little better on the oline & dline. 

Buffalo: Rousseau, Basham, Spencer Brown, and Tommy Doyle. 

Miami: Phillips and Eichenberg

Pats: Barmore and Perkins

Since all the HC's in the division of defensive minded coaches, it looks like they were all thinking the same.

Our Dline is pretty much set for now, but adding AVT will make a big impact. I already expected to see improvement on our oline from coaching & scheme alone.  With AVT, that means the battle at the other OG position will be between Lewis, GVR, and Clark. One of them has to work with everything improving. Dan Feeney is also someone this scheme could benefit. Same for Edoga. It's going to be a interesting battle at OL this summer. 

I expect our defense to struggle a little outside of the Dline, especially the LB core but we can lock them in next offseason. We could still sign people like Nelson and there will be more cuts after June and preseason. I think the competitions will be interesting at LB, DL, TE, RG, and RB. Even the battle for the last WR spots will be fun between Doctson, V.Smith, J.Smith Cager, and Berrios. 

I like that we went heavy offense early. We’re not going to win a lot next year but we can determine if Zach is the real deal ( something we still didn’t know after 3 years of Darnold). 

Look back at last season, the Chargers and Bengals were terrible but the had the weapons to fairly evaluate Herbert and Burrow. They lost a lot of games but at least they’re not wondering about QB. Same should hold true for us this year. 

39 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

I like that we went heavy offense early. We’re not going to win a lot next year but we can determine if Zach is the real deal ( something we still didn’t know after 3 years of Darnold). 

Look back at last season, the Chargers and Bengals were terrible but the had the weapons to fairly evaluate Herbert and Burrow. They lost a lot of games but at least they’re not wondering about QB. Same should hold true for us this year. 

We know everything we need to about Darnold. That’s why they moved on.