Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

Feedback or Opinion

I asked two members who have played at least back to back TCMDs simple questions to partly learn about TCMD evolution.  Thanks again.

• Both seemed unfazed by using only 2 WBs.  Personal and FA business.

I'm inclined to using 2 WBs.  I hope that it is just formula errors that screw up Google Sheet's performance.   I understand that Google isn't powerful enough to handle heavy duty functions but error free formula should run smoothly.  Maybe it was lucky or not as I ran through Vikings WB and I had not encountered any problem but Saints WBs were another story.  I think we should try 2 WBs again with extra time to iron out all (most?) wrinkles. Is that wrong to hope? eh?

• Too many tabs (yearly contract)

I agree with this. Totally unnecessarily to include them.  I believe Mike has to include those tabs for contractual calculation for team salary cap since I think he uses all raw data into his Google system.  Correct me if I am wrong.  If so, I suggest hiding later years as long as it doesn't cause any strain on Google Sheet.

Maybe it is good idea to put yearly tabs into public view official roster WB. Hopefully, it doesn't require extra connection works for Mike.  Just give it a thought to see if it does improve design for 2 WBs and make them mostly practical to naive participators. 

• 3 years under Cap Supervision

Current and next 2 years should display in one of WBs and we should meet Team Salary Floor for all 3 years.  I don't mind that and I suggest First and 3rd year should be the same or similar Team Salary Floor with 2nd year bumping up.   Say,

2021 Salary Floor: 221m

2022 Salary Floor: 235m

2023 Salary Floor: 215-225m

It could improve a number of GMs saying about finding good players at bargain. lol.   It may require some challenge not exceeding all 3 years' Cap Floor.  I won't oppose the 2 years under cap supervision like older TCMD.  No need to stress participators.

• Inexperienced participator should be working with veteran participator.

It won't be easy to recruit people for exact roles so I don't support that. Instead, I strongly encourage TCMD to add one more thread about DEMO only. That thread should be set up by other than Mike because of thread starting limit rule.   In the DEMO thread, we need marked references included on each picture of Google works. That way we can understand the works better when conversation has meaningful exchanges. I hope.

• Lightweight Schedule

Mike and I already got idea but I would like to share it to guys.  Remember the Guideline Sheet with table of contents on left side.  That kind of navigation should be used on Schedule Sheet with exact events as contents.  That way whenever you decide to pop up and look for a specific event such as tagging FA or contract creation, you simply go to and click on the link for Schedule in the "League Office" thread and then look at table of content on left side of the Sheet.  Click on a content for an event you seek for.  It will bring you to certain event's date and rules.    About Date, it should be in bigger (and color?) fonts and located above a passage (rule or example blah blah).

I have some thoughts about adding deadline to each tab of certain event. Like, when you go to RFA Tender Tab, you can read the deadline located between RFA image and the table of price/compensation.   For FA bidding, deadline date should be there next to a number of round.   Thoughts?

• Waiver Wire System

Ah Yes, it means a great deal to me. lol.    Resetting the priority sorting (#claim or #) is upmost important part of waiver wire system.  I understand it requires a sophisticated function to do that. However, it may stall Google Sheet's performance.  I hope with some improvisations it may open some room for the function.  I won't be upset if we continue using the current WW for next TCMD but heads up about losing priority sorting is necessary to new participators.

I like email address, team and player's 4 digit ID to enter WW.  I don't think it requires any further change.

• League Information included in personal WB

I guess it is for bookmark practitioners. I am fine with it but I don't like duplication. All public sharing view Sheets should be there in the "League Office" thread. Keep personal and FA WB free of duplication as best as we can think of.

Maybe we may use three WBs.   One for public view Sheets. One for personal.  One for business transactions.   Need more guys to chime in.

• Mike needs to get new and heavyweight computer system for TCMD only.

giphy.gif

That's all for now I think.

tenor.gif

• Like 1

I'm in favor of putting ourselves in the same situation as our real life counterparts as much as possible on the decision making front. So I'd suggest we handle waivers the same way the NFL does with teams higher in the order getting the benefit of dibs on cut players who don't qualify for free agency.  I'd also suggest changing the franchise tag amounts to the same as the NFL uses so all O-linemen have the same tag, etc. 

I think the NFL should differentiate the positions more but the union hasn't agreed to it (less differentiation means higher tag amounts, and the union dislikes tags). It's not hard to know which tag applies to a particular player. Occasionally there is a grievance about it but for TCMD we could simply use the position listed at OTC or NFL.com. 

5 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Feedback or Opinion

I asked two members who have played at least back to back TCMDs simple questions to partly learn about TCMD evolution.  Thanks again.

• Both seemed unfazed by using only 2 WBs.  Personal and FA business.

I'm inclined to using 2 WBs.  I hope that it is just formula errors that screw up Google Sheet's performance.   I understand that Google isn't powerful enough to handle heavy duty functions but error free formula should run smoothly.  Maybe it was lucky or not as I ran through Vikings WB and I had not encountered any problem but Saints WBs were another story.  I think we should try 2 WBs again with extra time to iron out all (most?) wrinkles. Is that wrong to hope? eh?

Oh only if I knew how to write vba script.  The formulas I use eat up a ton of processing power.  For every if statement in a formula it slows it down.  In the future I won't be using the free version, this should help in that department.  This along with just building cleaner workbooks without all the clutter and there is a lot of that within the hidden sheets.  

If I can end using the private team rosters (2021 thru 2031) it would reduce the amount of linked sheets, again just dumping what we can live without and restructuring the things we can't should prevent a lot of the issues.  

• 3 years under Cap Supervision

Current and next 2 years should display in one of WBs and we should meet Team Salary Floor for all 3 years.  I don't mind that and I suggest First and 3rd year should be the same or similar Team Salary Floor with 2nd year bumping up.   Say,

2021 Salary Floor: 221m

2022 Salary Floor: 235m

2023 Salary Floor: 215-225m

It could improve a number of GMs saying about finding good players at bargain. lol.   It may require some challenge not exceeding all 3 years' Cap Floor.  I won't oppose the 2 years under cap supervision like older TCMD.  No need to stress participators.

This is what we've done in the past, and I prefer doing this but it just takes a lot of time to update the workbooks when including the full length of the contract.  I'll need to research to see if there is a faster way to record this data as the current system I have just takes way too much time and will power.

The first year we started including subsequent years, I just took the APY value of the contract and used those numbers to account for future years.  This process was much faster but it wasn't exact numbers.

• Inexperienced participator should be working with veteran participator.

It won't be easy to recruit people for exact roles so I don't support that. Instead, I strongly encourage TCMD to add one more thread about DEMO only. That thread should be set up by other than Mike because of thread starting limit rule.   In the DEMO thread, we need marked references included on each picture of Google works. That way we can understand the works better when conversation has meaningful exchanges. I hope.

@squire12 is planning to do this for next year.

• Lightweight Schedule

Mike and I already got idea but I would like to share it to guys.  Remember the Guideline Sheet with table of contents on left side.  That kind of navigation should be used on Schedule Sheet with exact events as contents.  That way whenever you decide to pop up and look for a specific event such as tagging FA or contract creation, you simply go to and click on the link for Schedule in the "League Office" thread and then look at table of content on left side of the Sheet.  Click on a content for an event you seek for.  It will bring you to certain event's date and rules.    About Date, it should be in bigger (and color?) fonts and located above a passage (rule or example blah blah).

I have some thoughts about adding deadline to each tab of certain event. Like, when you go to RFA Tender Tab, you can read the deadline located between RFA image and the table of price/compensation.   For FA bidding, deadline date should be there next to a number of round.   Thoughts?

I'm in agreement with all of this.  Really good ideas.

• Waiver Wire System

Ah Yes, it means a great deal to me. lol.    Resetting the priority sorting (#claim or #) is upmost important part of waiver wire system.  I understand it requires a sophisticated function to do that. However, it may stall Google Sheet's performance.  I hope with some improvisations it may open some room for the function.  I won't be upset if we continue using the current WW for next TCMD but heads up about losing priority sorting is necessary to new participators.

I like email address, team and player's 4 digit ID to enter WW.  I don't think it requires any further change.

We'll get this figured out for next year.  Just need to find a workaround formula for the circular reference issue.

• League Information included in personal WB

I guess it is for bookmark practitioners. I am fine with it but I don't like duplication. All public sharing view Sheets should be there in the "League Office" thread. Keep personal and FA WB free of duplication as best as we can think of.

Maybe we may use three WBs.   One for public view Sheets. One for personal.  One for business transactions.   Need more guys to chime in.

This is where I need help...I'm a horrible organizer so if someone could come in to manage this aspect of the mock.

• Mike needs to get new and heavyweight computer system for TCMD only.

I do need a new machine...Create a go fund me page and donate heavily.

The one I'm on right now, I built in '08 and amazingly it's still faster than anything you can get a best buy or at least that was the case 3 years ago.

I've looked at the cost to upgrade and this computer is so outdated that it would require buying all new parts.  Nothing in this machine is compatible with the new technology out today.  

I do think that just using the google docs non free version has the potential to speed things up.

5 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I'm in favor of putting ourselves in the same situation as our real life counterparts as much as possible on the decision making front. So I'd suggest we handle waivers the same way the NFL does with teams higher in the order getting the benefit of dibs on cut players who don't qualify for free agency.  I'd also suggest changing the franchise tag amounts to the same as the NFL uses so all O-linemen have the same tag, etc. 

I mirror the NFL when I can.  Some things like the franchise tag amounts are still just estimates well after we've started the mock.  So the tcmd numbers are calculations based on the contract data I pull from OTC.  I break the position amounts down more than the NFL does but I do this just to make things easier for me when sorting all of this stuff at the start.  

Waiver wire I can agree with you on that.  Will try to get that figured out for next year, the only thing with this is there is like 5 teams that actually use it, so I don't put a lot of time and energy into it.  This was the first year anyone voiced their concerns about the structure.

DE,LB,OL and DT lack actual definitions.  In real life, OLB Rusher makes a pledge for DE price instead of LB price.  3-4 DE could be getting either DE or DT money.  Etc.

I like price for each position in TCMD.  Neat and direct.

I'm with you on this... NFL needs to adopt the TCMD approach to tag values.

One of the things for me, that I want to work on is refining the grading system.  By the time I start pulling data, I don't spend a lot of time with this.  It could be so much better but sites that actually provide player grades, especially for O line isn't free and the site I was using to pull grades weekly has now started charging for this service.  I just can't justify spending 40 bucks a month for something I'm not getting a return on.  Nonetheless, even with the free statistical data the grading system could be better, just need to spend some time with her....alone...

200.gif

love boat smile GIF

Regarding the overall schedule,  looking to get some discussion on preferences.

1.  Seems certain TCMD needs to start later than it did for 2021. 

2.  I will take the ownership on changing the schedule.  There was feedback from prior years on avoiding Friday, Saturday & Sunday night UFA bid deadlines.  There was also a request to keep each week more symmetrical with deadlines being consistent nights each week.

I think it is nearly impossible to have deadlines on consecutive nights for UFA due to the time needed to reset rosters and UFA lists.

So either the Monday / Thursday schedule which creates longer gaps between UFA bidding rounds

OR

We do 3 per week and then need to decide on where that 3rd deadline is

Monday / Wednesday / Saturday

Tuesday / Thursday / Sunday

Thoughts????

6 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

3 rounds per week is my preference. I don't care which days bids are due since you can enter them ahead of time. 

I agree with the 3 per week.  With the check mark to see if another team is bidding on a player, my guess is there is more last minute bid changing vs when no checkmark is available.

12 hours ago, ny92mike said:

One of the things for me, that I want to work on is refining the grading system.  By the time I start pulling data, I don't spend a lot of time with this.  It could be so much better but sites that actually provide player grades, especially for O line isn't free and the site I was using to pull grades weekly has now started charging for this service.  I just can't justify spending 40 bucks a month for something I'm not getting a return on.  Nonetheless, even with the free statistical data the grading system could be better, just need to spend some time with her....alone...

200.gif

love boat smile GIF

I would like to offer some help with this next year, mainly to adjust some of the extremes. What I would say Is it will never be perfect and I firmly believe the market sets itself.

16 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Regarding the overall schedule,  looking to get some discussion on preferences.

1.  Seems certain TCMD needs to start later than it did for 2021. 

2.  I will take the ownership on changing the schedule.  There was feedback from prior years on avoiding Friday, Saturday & Sunday night UFA bid deadlines.  There was also a request to keep each week more symmetrical with deadlines being consistent nights each week.

I think it is nearly impossible to have deadlines on consecutive nights for UFA due to the time needed to reset rosters and UFA lists.

So either the Monday / Thursday schedule which creates longer gaps between UFA bidding rounds

OR

We do 3 per week and then need to decide on where that 3rd deadline is

Monday / Wednesday / Saturday

Tuesday / Thursday / Sunday

Thoughts????

I agree with point 1. I think 3 per week is best and not fussed on what day. I would selfishly ask round 1 is Friday night due to time difference and understand if people don’t want weekends,

30 minutes ago, mountainpd said:

I agree with point 1. I think 3 per week is best and not fussed on what day. I would selfishly ask round 1 is Friday night due to time difference and understand if people don’t want weekends,

I get that some have no issues with weekend nights.  Just going of previous years feedback on trying to avoid those night.  Especially early on when generally speaking, more teams are offering to UFA.

Once it gets to round 4/5, the number of bids does start to drop.

• Like 1