Total Control GM Mock Draft Suggestions / Feedback

ny92mike

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

4. And finally, this may be the most challenging one: The complexity of the workbooks is turning some folks off. They sign up ... and then figure out how much work goes into keeping up to speed. And if you are not used to Excel .. wow, this may be a hard thingy to do. This was my major concern way back when you set this up ... Not sure how to solve it though.

That's the rub, the workbooks are designed to make it easier to manage.  FFMD required you to have a capologist to calculate the top 51 and 9 times out of 10 it would be calculated incorrectly.  Now with today's contracts it's even more complicated to figure out with all the escalators that kick in at various times throughout the season.  While the workbooks don't account for every contract situation it provides at least some structure so that you know that everyone is calculating it the same way.  Personally, I feel like the structure of the mock using bidding rounds and specific dates for various events makes it more manageable and structured to allow for better game planning but yes you're right if they open up the guidelines and see 13 pages, they are already on edge.  Then they receive multiple workbooks in their inbox I'm sure they freak out, but if they took a minute it might not seem so challenging.  There are some that just won't touch tcmd.  ffmd diehards that refuse to touch this mock.  

The only thing I think I can do here is just try to make the workbooks more uniform in design, attempt to reduce the number of columns of data.  

Those that appreciate the time I've put into this mock draft, get it and will stick around.  Honestly, I'm tired of trying to convert this into a forum wide event.  Without the ffmd name it never will be a forum wide mock and I've come to accept that and just focus on making tcmd a individual GM mock draft that if the GM wants to include their team sub forum cool.

• Like 1

@KC_Guy As a blanket statement pertaining to forum wide mock drafts. 

I think for a forum wide mock draft to be successful in this forum, the moderators have to get involved.  Members respond more to these guys, it's just a fact.  Members are more willing to get involved if it's backed by the owner of the site and moderators are an extension of that ownership.  It also helps NOT to have the name Total Control as the name of your mock draft, as it implies that the GM will have total control over their team, @squire12 pointed that nugget out to me...😁  However, the current forum wide mock draft already has the perfect name.  Can't go wrong when you've got the sites name as the title of your mock...ha.  Having the site name makes it official without having to type the word "official".  People just get involved when it's FFMD.  

GM mock drafts also require some form of structure, even more so when it's a forum wide mock draft where you have everyone involved and on the look out for anything that looks out of place; be it a invalid contract signing or something as simple as too many players on their roster.  Not sure if you noticed but it was a rookie tcmd member calling me out on my formula errors and catching transactions that I overlooked.  May not think it, but members are looking for anything out of place.  They are looking for loopholes as well as catching people trying to create loopholes.  This is why I love the free agency system that we use in tcmd.  No agent required, and while I love doing the sales pitch to the agents, it never once influenced their decision to my knowledge, I can't imagine being an agent in these mock drafts, especially after staring at 32 different offers containing contract details (all of which are typed out in a different kind of jumbled up format) on just a handful of cherry picked free agents because anything more would require more agents, if you want a jobs creator that would be the way to go, but not in a mock draft, you just aren't going to find that many people willing to take on that role.  It just slows and complicates a really simple process of highest bid wins, where basic formulas can sort the winning bids in real time.  There are no complaints with the outcome of where a player is awarded if they know it was because of a dollar amount and not because of a persons opinion based on a pitch.    

That said, if you opted to get structure by using workbooks, it would need to be dialed way way down from what tcmd is currently.  To the point of just a couple of tabs within a single workbook, that was linked to the Team War Room sub forum's initial post, created by the ffmd team and not the GM.  I say this because, Pete and I had a ton of success getting forum members involved when we did this last year for ffmd II.

If you opted to have a free agency in this mock, it would need to be either an auction style free agency much like the "shark tank" w/o that ridiculous rule that pulls the player out of the tank placing him in the hands of the agent when the bidding reached a certain amount.  That just created a haven for things to go wrong.  For a blind bidding style fa, like tcmd.  The internal settings would need to be changed to allow members of that war room the ability to edit, while providing the general public read only access, this would require the GM provide their email address.  By simply hiding the bidding sheet from "view only" visitors it would achieve that goal but again would require the GM and anyone else that wanted editing rights to provide their email address.

Two different options that would work to allow for a free agency and give reason to include and track a salary cap which is something that members wanted when asked to provide suggestions and feedback in the last ffmd as some trades that took place would have been more difficult to pull off under a capped mock.

Start out with a very simple workbook and design it to allow for additional content to be added if wanted.  I think it could be a huge success if done correctly and the right people got involved.  What's that old saying, "Build it and they will come".

Edited by ny92mike
  • Like 1

Just a general suggestion to start later next year, at least a couple weeks after the Super Bowl. The Bucs and Chiefs didn't get a chance to sign their Practice Squad players to futures contracts before TCMD started, unlike the other teams. There will likely be a combine again next year so that would work with the drafting not starting until after the combine and most pro days. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Just a general suggestion to start later next year, at least a couple weeks after the Super Bowl. The Bucs and Chiefs didn't get a chance to sign their Practice Squad players to futures contracts before TCMD started, unlike the other teams. There will likely be a combine again next year so that would work with the drafting not starting until after the combine and most pro days. 

Oh believe me...this early start like we did will never happen again.  It has absolutely killed this mock draft.  We sat idle for too long, boredom sat in weeks ago which has effected the discussion in the mock to a level I've never seen at this stage in a mock.  Trades took place really early and there just isn't anything to do really other than bid on free agents which really boost the discussion participation from a handful of us but the minute it's over the thread is idle again.

NEVER AGAIN  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Oh believe me...this early start like we did will never happen again.  It has absolutely killed this mock draft.  We sat idle for too long, boredom sat in weeks ago which has effected the discussion in the mock to a level I've never seen at this stage in a mock.  Trades took place really early and there just isn't anything to do really other than bid on free agents which really boost the discussion participation from a handful of us but the minute it's over the thread is idle again.

NEVER AGAIN  

I think / hope it was an anomaly this year because we didn't have combine to look forward to (and like you said... people got bored / had down time)

• Like 1

One thing i really don't use often(mainly because i find it a bit of a hassle to work it) is the Unofficial roster. Updating them is handy for things like the depth chart but just putting them in puts me off from doing it. Not sure what fix there can be to not creat even more links and such but just throwing it out there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

One thing i really don't use often(mainly because i find it a bit of a hassle to work it) is the Unofficial roster. Updating them is handy for things like the depth chart but just putting them in puts me off from doing it. Not sure what fix there can be to not creat even more links and such but just throwing it out there.

The easiest thing I have discovered so far, since moves aren't TOO many TOO often, is just to copy and paste the line for new players and put it at the bottom. I get what you're saying, but in case anyone wants a dummy workaround for now, it works. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Agree with you 100% with this.  I don't even use it unless I have to.  Do you use it to see how cuts would effect your cap?

To be honest with you it's the one thing I'd love to get rid of but still figure out a way for it to be used so that you guys can see what a cut would do to your cap.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Agree with you 100% with this.  I don't even use it unless I have to.  Do you use it to see how cuts would effect your cap?

To be honest with you it's the one thing I'd love to get rid of but still figure out a way for it to be used so that you guys can see what a cut would do to your cap.

I honestly mostly go to Overthecap to see the affect of cuts and such mostly because i don't really update it.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

I honestly mostly go to Overthecap to see the affect of cuts and such mostly because i don't really update it.

That said, would having the players name hyperlinked to over the cap help?

Like what I've done with the draftees where it directs you to YouTube to view highlights

7 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

For me I'd like to have the hyperlink tied to PFR stats myself but I'm looking at all the options for this.

Just now, DoleINGout said:

My free agent bid sheet seems to not be working right. This morning I started to put in the new bids for the new round but now it is all errors from the drop downs and the sheets arent filled with numbers on the contract except the base salary amounts I started working on this morning

Log out and wait a few minutes.  Then log back in to see if that fixes it.

Repeat as necessary. 

Sincerely,  

TCMD Help Desk

• Like 2