Let’s talk Free Agents

pwny

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Pretty sure he's regressed but unless we have the inside track on one of the DL from NYG in FA he'd be one of the better vets available.

If u want a young prove it guy I'd do a 2 year 6 million for solomon thomas.  Coming off an acl for injury if I recall but perhaps a change of scenery and scheme will do him good

17 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

If u want a young prove it guy I'd do a 2 year 6 million for solomon thomas.  Coming off an acl for injury if I recall but perhaps a change of scenery and scheme will do him good

I don't want a young prove it guy coming off an ACL. Our interior DL is garbage outside of Hamilton. 

11 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Lot of Seahawks ties on offense. I agree.

Don’t really see the appeal with Carson. Feel like we already have a decent but not all that dynamic all-rounder at RB. Carson seems redundant. Behind Robinson, I’d just want to go with cheap backup/depth, and spend the rest of the roster spots on young guys with some dynamic element to complement Robinson and fit what Urban is gonna want to do. 

I mean, if you’re getting Carson for pennies, sure, whatever. But no interest in paying for what he brings. 

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I don't want a young prove it guy coming off an ACL. Our interior DL is garbage outside of Hamilton. 

Short isn’t exactly a “sure thing” either at this point. Who knows how much he’ll actually see the field, or how effective he’ll really still be. 

I’d be fine with either of Short or Solomon on appropriate deals. We have room to give some guys a shot there, because of how bad our interior DLine looks. 

But with either guy, ultimately any real solutions there are probably going to have to come via the draft. If that’s the market we’re in. 

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Short isn’t exactly a “sure thing” either at this point. Who knows how much he’ll actually see the field, or how effective he’ll really still be. 

I’d be fine with either of Short or Solomon on appropriate deals. We have room to give some guys a shot there, because of how bad our interior DLine looks. 

But with either guy, ultimately any real solutions there are probably going to have to come via the draft. If that’s the market we’re in. 

Obviously a 32 year old Kawaan Short who's battled injuries isn't a solution. But he still shows that pass rush ability when he's healthy and on the field. I'd rather bringing in a guy like that than a guy who's never done it and been largely a bust of a 1st round pick.

We need depth and guys who can push the pocket on the interior. Had none of that last year. Short in that type of a rotational role would be intriguing to me.

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Obviously a 32 year old Kawaan Short who's battled injuries isn't a solution. But he still shows that pass rush ability when he's healthy and on the field. I'd rather bringing in a guy like that than a guy who's never done it and been largely a bust of a 1st round pick.

We need depth and guys who can push the pocket on the interior. Had none of that last year. Short in that type of a rotational role would be intriguing to me.

I honestly don’t think it’d even be a problem to have both guys. And realistically, you still may not really get anything you can rely on out of it. Lol.

We need all kinds of help. Be that in the form of an unreliable oft-injured old guy with questionable gas left in the tank. Or a younger disappointing more or less bust of a high pick. Or both. 

Short is probably the sort of piece that’d fit better somewhere that has the personnel to actually just look at him as luxury rotational depth though. I wouldn’t turn down some useful help there...I’m just not sure how much of that he’d really be.

with Solomon Thomas...you’re probably getting absolutely nothing more than a spare/depth player as he’s shown to date. And I think you ought to be pencilling him in as such if you’re going for him. But at least maybe you’ve got a slightly younger guy and if he’s healthy, maybe a guy you can rotate more reliably. But who knows on that either. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I honestly don’t think it’d even be a problem to have both guys. And realistically, you still may not really get anything you can rely on out of it. Lol.

We need all kinds of help. Be that in the form of an unreliable oft-injured old guy with questionable gas left in the tank. Or a younger disappointing more or less bust of a high pick. Or both. 

Short is probably the sort of piece that’d fit better somewhere that has the personnel to actually just look at him as luxury rotational depth though. I wouldn’t turn down some useful help there...I’m just not sure how much of that he’d really be.

with Solomon Thomas...you’re probably getting absolutely nothing more than a spare/depth player as he’s shown to date. And I think you ought to be pencilling him in as such if you’re going for him. But at least maybe you’ve got a slightly younger guy and if he’s healthy, maybe a guy you can rotate more reliably. But who knows on that either. 

Fair enough.

Im just over the "buy low/potential" guy who hasn't done **** so far in the NFL and assuming a change of scenery (to Jacksonville of all places) gets him on track. Maybe this new coaching staff will actually be able to do some of that here. But with how atrocious our interior was last year outside of Hamilton and Costin, I want guys who've done it before. I do personally think that Short could come here, be a good vet for the young guys while also pushing the pocket/doing some nice things in limited snaps.

I'm not going to act like I've watched a lot of him the last couple years, but I do remember when he was a wrecking ball in the middle for a few years there. At 32, I like to think if he can somehow stay healthy there's some value there.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fair enough.

Im just over the "buy low/potential" guy who hasn't done **** so far in the NFL and assuming a change of scenery (to Jacksonville of all places) gets him on track. Maybe this new coaching staff will actually be able to do some of that here. But with how atrocious our interior was last year outside of Hamilton and Costin, I want guys who've done it before. I do personally think that Short could come here, be a good vet for the young guys while also pushing the pocket/doing some nice things in limited snaps.

I'm not going to act like I've watched a lot of him the last couple years, but I do remember when he was a wrecking ball in the middle for a few years there. At 32, I like to think if he can somehow stay healthy there's some value there.

Frankly, I don’t think anyone has watched much of Short in the last couple years. 

But yeah. I get being over the whole “reclamation project” routine. I wouldn’t want to put any faith or expectation in that. It’s the sort of thing you go into expecting what they’ve been, nothing more...and drawing up your depth chart accordingly. Anything more they actually deliver, you treat as a bonus. 

And hopefully our new staff can deliver some of that. But even those staffs that have a track record of getting those guys going...generally don’t rely on that as a roster strategy. It’s like a side hustle. And that’s part of why it can work...by removing expectation, while providing opportunity.