Let’s talk Free Agents

pwny

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Think he'd be an underrated option. He has his injury issues (which are big) but he'd be a great fit with Chark/Shenault.

The health makes me lean against it but wouldn't surprise me if we have interest.

I don’t like the fit at all. I think he’s a potential target, but all the splits he’s had with Watson suggest that he needs to be alongside a true game franchise #1 to actually provide value to an offense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

I don’t like the fit at all. I think he’s a potential target, but all the splits he’s had with Watson suggest that he needs to be alongside a true game franchise #1 to actually provide value to an offense. 

I don't disagree. I just think the type of skillset makes sense and I expect us to grab at least one legit receiver via FA or draft.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I don't disagree. I just think the type of skillset makes sense and I expect us to grab at least one legit receiver via FA or draft.

I think we will too. 

AJ Green, Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay, TY Hilton, Sammy Watkins, Marvin Jones, Corey Davis, Will Fuller, Curtis Samuel, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Nelson Agholor.

One of those is almost assuredly going to be a member of the Jags next year. I just think that a lot of them, particularly the WR2/3 types are going to be fools gold unless they go to a team with a great #1 aside them. And as much as I like Chark and hope he has a long future here, I'm not sure he's that type of receiver.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pwny said:

I think we will too. 

AJ Green, Allen Robinson, Chris Godwin, Kenny Golladay, TY Hilton, Sammy Watkins, Marvin Jones, Corey Davis, Will Fuller, Curtis Samuel, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Nelson Agholor.

One of those is almost assuredly going to be a member of the Jags next year. I just think that a lot of them, particularly the WR2/3 types are going to be fools gold unless they go to a team with a great #1 aside them. And as much as I like Chark and hope he has a long future here, I'm not sure he's that type of receiver.

ARob, Godwin, Davis, Samuel, Agholor, and Golladay peak my interest the most.

TY is interesting and the Marvin Jones/Bevell connection may be something.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:48 AM, pwny said:

ARob had 3 drops on 150 targets….

I mean, technically, i guess that is correct.  ARob did indeed drop balls, plural.  3 times is plural.

5 hours ago, pwny said:

He’s not coming back. 

But yeah.  He's not coming back here.  He's going somewhere with an established QB.  Sad.  But totally understandable.  He's wasted too much of his career already, with bad QBs, and waiting on unproven guys to "break out".

5 hours ago, pwny said:

Yeah.  I'm not in on Fuller for this team.  I don't really see the fit.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Even the splits stuff and need to be complemented by a real #1 as pwny mentions aside, I don't really see Fuller as the right type of skillset in the first place either.  I think we're still missing the same sort of receiver "skillset" we've been missing for years...since ARob left.  And Fuller is not that.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

ARob, Godwin, Davis, Samuel, Agholor, and Golladay peak my interest the most.

TY is interesting and the Marvin Jones/Bevell connection may be something.

This is mostly my list as well. I’m kinda iffy on Davis, but if any of the guys who haven’t developed into #1s can, its going to be him. Agholor I feel is going to get a massive payday that he doesn’t deserve from some team who thinks his hands are fixed and wants those deep chunk plays, but at the right price he’s an option. Samuel is a really good option for any team that wants to play positionless football, like I assume we will do a decent amount of. The other guys I see as #1 options that would work well alongside Chark.

Hilton and Green are decent options if the team is also planning on taking a guy in the 2nd/3rd who they think will need an extra year to develop like Chark did. Some veteran leadership and a bridge to the future isn’t terrible. 

EDIT: I wouldn’t hate Marvin Jones either. Just not sure he’d be atop my list of not for the familiarity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pwny said:

This is mostly my list as well. I’m kinda iffy on Davis, but if any of the guys who haven’t developed into #1s can, its going to be him. Agholor I feel is going to get a massive payday that he doesn’t deserve from some team who thinks his hands are fixed and wants those deep chunk plays, but at the right price he’s an option. Samuel is a really good option for any team that wants to play positionless football, like I assume we will do a decent amount of. The other guys I see as #1 options that would work well alongside Chark.

Hilton and Green are decent options if the team is also planning on taking a guy in the 2nd/3rd who they think will need an extra year to develop like Chark did. Some veteran leadership and a bridge to the future isn’t terrible. 

EDIT: I wouldn’t hate Marvin Jones either. Just not sure he’d be atop my list of not for the familiarity. 

Agreed on Agholor. I think there’s the potential for a big mistake to get made there...based on some false assumptions about what he is now. 

Also think the bolded with respect to Marvin is an important thing to watch out for in general, when it comes to free agency. 

Familiarity is a positive. And it can be especially useful in certain positions/roles in giving a more concrete projection of how they’re likely to perform in a particular system. But have to be wary of overemphasizing that value. Good players, and especially solid vets who have experience and productive results in multiple schemes over their career, are going to get “caught up” quickly enough. Don’t want to be using familiarity to move guys up the priority list much when it comes to top-end FAs with big money involved. Would rather those guys be targeted by priority on their merit independent of the familiarity. 

When it comes more “depth guys” and filling out the roster with smaller deals...that’s where I think familiarity can be more of an impact decision making factor. Less time getting your filler up to speed, and helpful to have around to work with others making a scheme/system transition. Don’t mind a coach bringing along some of “his guys” like that to get some extra mini-assistants on the field as go-betweens and known commodities. Not having to worry about your depth/rotational guys and how they’ll fit is worth a few extra bucks on those smaller deals.