How to handle the (potential) return of the SuperSonics

pf9

On 1/24/2021 at 7:04 PM, pf9 said:

The NBA is thinking about expanding again, and Seattle seems like a shoo-in.

The team will probably be a revival of the SuperSonics, but it should be in more than just name.

The history (1967-2008) of the original SuperSonics should belong to the new version exclusively. This would make the Thunder an expansion team that began play in 2008.

Yes I know a 15+-year suspension of operations (depending on when expansion happens) would look weird. But the Thunder owners were wise to not take the Sonics name with them to OKC. So it would be like the Sonics went into hibernation in 2008, and didn't come out of it for more than a decade.

I believe I read somewhere that the thunder have already released the rights to Sonic records and stuff. 

I think they can easily add a team in Seattle and Las Vegas and split the league into 8 divisions with 4 teams per division

West:

California: Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Warriors
Western Division: Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Phoenix
Middle West: Utah, Denver, OKC, Memphis
SouthWest: Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, New Orleans

EAST:

Southeast: Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte  
North Central: Minnesota, Indiana, Chicago, Milwaukee
Northeastern: Toronto, New York, Brooklyn, Boston
Midwest: Cleveland, Detroit,  Washington, Philadelphia 

Seems to make sense to me

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Ya'll arent reading my posts

I don't think in any way, shape, or form that adding an expansion team in Las Vegas hurts the image of the NBA or its brand. Especially since other sports leagues have just added teams there and they have a nice, new stadium that's ready to host a team. I personally would love to see a team in Las Vegas and if we're being honest they probably deserve one more than Seattle does. 

Seattle had a franchise and failed to secure the funds for a new stadium to keep them there. Las Vegas already has a brand new stadium to host a team and as we've seen with the Raiders stadium if a new stadium needs to be built the city will build a magnificent arena for them. 

I also think it's a nice spot for an expansion team because the city has been so thirsty for sports that they'd really rally behind a new team. Las Vegas is in the middle of the desert, how many local hockey fans do you think there were before the Knights came to town? Now everyone in the city loves hockey and loves the Knights. Not to mention Vegas is a hot spot city with cheap flights from and to any other city in the United States. So you'd give fans of opposing teams a chance for a weekend getaway where they also get to see their team play the Vegas team. 

Edited by NYRaider

Add in Seattle and Vegas. 32 teams, 8 divisions of 4 teams. No conferences. 

1. Northwest: Seattle, Portland, Golden State, Sacramento
  2. Southwest: LAL, LAC, Vegas, Phoenix
  3. Middle America: OKC, Denver, Utah, Memphis
  4. South: Houston, SAS, Dallas, NO
  5. Atlantic: Orlando, Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte
  6. Metro: NYK, Brook, Boston, Philly
  7. Northeast: Washington, Cleveland, Toronto, Indiana
  8. Midwest: Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis 

The schedule is:

8 games vs each division rival (24 games) (one 3 game home series, one 3 game away series, on two game there/back series)

A two game series vs every other team (56 games) 

80 game season in total. Do a playin for the playoffs. 

On 1/31/2021 at 9:39 AM, NYRaider said:

How many lakes do they have in Los Angeles? I live here and I will tell you there aren't very many. 

If we're being honest though Utah should've been the Hornets considering Utah is the beehive state. And New Orleans should've been the Jazz as that's the Jazz capital of the world IIRC. But it's too late for all of that now. 

A hornet isn't a bee.  If it were the wasp nest state, you might be onto something, but that doesn't have quite the ring.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:39 AM, NYRaider said:

How many lakes do they have in Los Angeles? I live here and I will tell you there aren't very many. 

If we're being honest though Utah should've been the Hornets considering Utah is the beehive state. And New Orleans should've been the Jazz as that's the Jazz capital of the world IIRC. But it's too late for all of that now. 

Well if they have more than 1 Lakers could work and the name LAkers could be construed as a name for the LA area. I get it that it's just a name but that one in Utah really clashes with the whole area there. I guess the brief time that the hornets were in NO would have been the time to make the switch.