Goodbye Matthew Stafford

Superduperman

On 2/6/2021 at 12:14 PM, Karnage84 said:

On a semi-related note, could McVay's time with Stafford be considered tampering? We had a number of teams who were interested in making the trade. It seems like Stafford's personal time with McVay helped both sides determine that LA was the best fit. It isn't a rumour or anything that Stafford was available but my understanding is that you can't be talking directly to a guy who is still under contract. 

Based on available information Stafford went for dinner with McVay after the trade. According to an interview he bumped into a Rams lineman who said the Rams should make a play.  After the trade McVay called Stafford and they went for dinner.

People need to quit the assumptions that Stafford and McVay somehow engineered this. 

10 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Based on available information Stafford went for dinner with McVay after the trade. According to an interview he bumped into a Rams lineman who said the Rams should make a play.  After the trade McVay called Stafford and they went for dinner.

People need to quit the assumptions that Stafford and McVay somehow engineered this. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/02/rams-lions-matthew-stafford-sean-mcvay-cabo

Given how much the Lions and Rams want this to work out, I doubt that we'll see a closer look into this on a definitive basis. However, it's not like this can be entirely dismissed. 

- A number of NFL folks were in Cabo, including Andrew Whitworth, McVay and Stafford

- Albert Breer reported they had "accidentally run into each other" before the trade

- Stafford and McVay have a common connection - Kelly's brother/McVay's friend/Buffalo WR coach Chad Hall (Not sure if he was in Cabo). The Staffords and McVay already had a prior relationship as a result. 

If I'm going on a trip somewhere and I have friends that I know are going to the same place, we're going to reach out and try to connect. 

I'm happy he went where he went and I hope things work out on both sides. I just hope the Lions don't get burned because of tampering rules somehow. 

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Given how much the Lions and Rams want this to work out, I doubt that we'll see a closer look into this on a definitive basis. However, it's not like this can be entirely dismissed. 

- A number of NFL folks were in Cabo, including Andrew Whitworth, McVay and Stafford

- Albert Breer reported they had "accidentally run into each other" before the trade

- Stafford and McVay have a common connection - Kelly's brother/McVay's friend/Buffalo WR coach Chad Hall (Not sure if he was in Cabo). The Staffords and McVay already had a prior relationship as a result. 

If I'm going on a trip somewhere and I have friends that I know are going to the same place, we're going to reach out and try to connect. 

I'm happy he went where he went and I hope things work out on both sides. I just hope the Lions don't get burned because of tampering rules somehow. 

This isn't really like FA. I would assume the Lions gave Stafford and his agency permission to speak to other teams since they were trying to make a deal. Assuming that's true, it wouldn't be tampering. It's a problem with FA because there's that short window right at the beginning of FA where many of the top guys sign. If you can negotiate before that window and work on convincing the player, you're gaining an advantage that only the player's previous team is supposed to have.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

This isn't really like FA. I would assume the Lions gave Stafford and his agency permission to speak to other teams since they were trying to make a deal. Assuming that's true, it wouldn't be tampering. It's a problem with FA because there's that short window right at the beginning of FA where many of the top guys sign. If you can negotiate before that window and work on convincing the player, you're gaining an advantage that only the player's previous team is supposed to have.

All of that is fair - I just find it hard to believe that Stafford and McVay just "happened to run into each other" despite previous connections. Because the story has changed a bit and become less believable, it feels like either side (or both sides) are massaging the story so that it's a bit less blatant. I've never been to Cabo but I have been to a resort town (Punta Cana). The probability of me just "running into someone" that I knew would have been quite slim unless we were staying at the same resort. Even then, the resorts are just so big. 

Either way, not making a big deal out of it. It's a good fit for both sides. Looking forward to getting the Goff era started. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I have more faith in Staffords statement than the media speculation. 95% of what media reports has some level of error right up to blatant untruths. They have a vested interest in generating attention. It’s the quiet time and everyone has space to fill.

Stafford didn’t do anything wrong so why would he lie? Why would he omit it if he had bumped into McVay prior to the trade. if they did bump into each other why would it matter? It’s another big assumption for people to jump to conclusions about wrong doing. You know he’s a private person and doesn’t do anything to creàte publicity or intrigue, it’s just really out of character for him. As for the personal connections I don’t see the relevance. I don’t know many people who, on vacation, attempt to link up with friends of a family member. I certainly have never made a point of hanging out with acquaintances on vacation. 

I have bumped into people in numerous locations by chance. Only once did I get together with someone I had casually bumped into. You said you haven’t been to Cabo and referenced Punta Cana. About the only commonality is they’re resort towns. Cabo has fewer visitors, far fewer European visitors, and more celebrity hang outs. It is a huge weekend draw for Californians. It’s far more likely for individuals to not leave a resort in the Dominican Republic than it is in Cabo just due to the nature of the place and the way it’s set up.

One other important point. If L.A. was where Stafford wanted to go he simply could’ve told the Lions he wanted to be in California. Based on reporting Stafford only stipulation was not N.E. 

I just see this as the media stirring the pot. The fact it’s even newsworthy is humorous. 

Edited by diehardlionfan