Aaron Rodgers breaks collarbone - could miss rest of 2017

Apparition

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

that's your interpretation. many disagree that the hit and plant wasn't unavoidable. It was, then (by definition), unnecessary. It was a very intentional move, and like you have seen from many fans in this thread, arguably unnecessary. The landing of his full body weight on Rodgers was clearly intentional and also completely unnecessary.

It's why he got injured for cripes sake.

.....like he clearly was saying he didnt throw rodgers down not that it was unavoidable.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

On second thought, when I saw the LAND on top of part, yeah it seems illegal. The only possible outcome of hits like that are qb inuries. Especially when you're a 240 pound linebacker.

yea, that was a legal hit. I know why, but he didnt post the full rule.

a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender’s weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player’s arms. 

As I already said, that was as close to a form tackle as you get. he took him to the ground but he never released his initial grasp. it was a hard hit,  but he was clearly wrapped up.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

McCarthy was downright pissed in his presser. Called it both illegal and completely unnecessary. Said there was no reason Barr needed to "pin him into the ground like that." 

lets be honest, if its one of his guys mking that hit hes patting his guys ***. Mccarthys pissed his season is over, while i dont blame him for being upset not a fan of him crying to he media.

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

here's an example of another legal hit. the defensive player didn't wrap the qb up as well as Barr did, but it's very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YltTq146F70

If CMII had taken another 1.5 steps before the hit this would be virtually identical and also illegal. However, it appears he made contact with Palmer while he still had the ball. Timing is a lot different on this play. Equally dangerous for Palmer however, which is why it shouldn't surprise anyone to see even stricter QB rules going forward.

18 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

here's an example of another legal hit. the defensive player didn't wrap the qb up as well as Barr did, but it's very similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YltTq146F70

Yeah Clay has a lot of these, every time I say "man he's right in that gray area, why risk it?" Sure I like it when he does it, but if he got a flag I'd understand. He has a some where he gets the QB in a head lock too that are borderline. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Yeah Clay has a lot of these, every time I say "man he's right in that gray area, why risk it?" Sure I like it when he does it, but if he got a flag I'd understand. He has a some where he gets the QB in a head lock too that are borderline. 

Personally I hate it when he does it because those are quite often dumb penalties and just give up 15yds and gets the opponent fired up. 

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If CMII had taken another 1.5 steps before the hit this would be virtually identical and also illegal. However, it appears he made contact with Palmer while he still had the ball. Timing is a lot different on this play. 

154htab.jpg

ball is clearly out of qb's hand before contact is made.

nor is there anything in the rules as to how many steps the defender is allowed, lol

really reaching now aren't ya ;)

there are plenty of actual examples of Clay getting penalized that are comparable to Barr's hit. I'm not sure what the point of all this is though? I'm well aware this happens across the league and have never implied otherwise.

and 'lol' there actually ARE number of steps explicitly stated in QB hit rules inside the pocket. It is also widely used as a barometer for any type of late hit. That was an odd comment.

154htab.jpg

why didn't Matthews hold up and not hit the qb?

because he can't. he's moving too fast, has too much mass behind him, and cannot change intent or direction in the fraction of a second that is left to him. same with Barr.

the difference between Barr's technique and Mathews', however, is that Barr wrapped his arms around the qb as they both traveled to the ground. which is exactly what the rules reuire the defender to do.

Archived