Aaron Rodgers breaks collarbone - could miss rest of 2017

Apparition

3 hours ago, eagles101 said:

It always blows my mind it the entire nfl is like "clean hit" and the fans of one team go " OMGZZZ HE BURIED HIM 6 feet under, he clearly tried to murder him and frame his family for it what a monster." I mean someone said that the adams hit had people fearing he was dead lmao

Nothing wrong with this hit. Clean.. the outcome sucks, but it happens.. The Adams hit though, to say that was an overreaction by one fanbase is an attempt to flame. That was a malicious and uncalled for hit. 

The rules don't need to be tweaked at all. This play is already technically illegal as written. You need not be baffled any longer.

Explain to me the difference between a RB taking that hit and a QB taking that hit outside the pocket.

The Siragusa rule and all QB protections apply inside the pocket.

You're better off trying to argue it was a late hit.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Guess you can't read. Literally no one said it was dirty. 

This place sucks. So many posters so giddy about this injury and they don't take 2 seconds to read or understand anything.

You want penalties because a star player gets injured. You can't have that. You can't penalize a team because of circumstances. These things happen.

The only argument you have is Barr's headbutt to Adams. What he did to Rodgers was legal.

The only person not understanding things here is you. 

35 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Explain to me the difference between a RB taking that hit and a QB taking that hit outside the pocket.

The Siragusa rule and all QB protections apply inside the pocket.

You're better off trying to argue it was a late hit.

Well this is easy: a QB after releasing the ball is considered defenseless and there is literally an entire subset of rules written to protect them in exactly this scenario. It's been linked and quoted several times in this thread already.

And no, this particular rule explicitly states that it still applies outside the pocket.

51 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Nothing wrong with this hit. Clean.. the outcome sucks, but it happens.. The Adams hit though, to say that was an overreaction by one fanbase is an attempt to flame. That was a malicious and uncalled for hit. 

While i dont think it was as bad as people want to play it off as but the fact that someone tried to act like everyone should have feared for his life is crazy.

20 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The only person not understanding things here is you. 

Yep, sure am. Only one. It's so clear that everyone else knows the rule yet somehow keep getting it completely wrong and me, the guy who actually posted the actual rule from the actual rule book is confused.

You're always so on top of things.

1 minute ago, eagles101 said:

While i dont think it was as bad as people want to play it off as but the fact that someone tried to act like everyone should have feared for his life is crazy.

Not really that crazy. It has never happened in the NFL, but players at the HS level and college have died on the field from football related incidents. It's a dangerous sport... and possible for someone to die from a brutal illegal hit. 

Just now, packerrfan74 said:

Not really that crazy. It has never happened in the NFL, but players at the HS level and college have died on the field from football related incidents. It's a dangerous sport... and possible for someone to die from a brutal illegal hit. 

....its possible to die from any hit legal or not...people have had heart issues and died from a straight hit. So i guess, yes its not crazy to say he could have died in the same way it wouldnt be crazy to say that arron rodgers could have died on the barr hit.

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

And there are player safety rules in place for exactly this reason. The sport is popular because of the elite QBs, it is wise to protect QBs for this reason.

It's why this hit is illegal. Rodgers has landed on his arm 1000 times. But not with a 260lb defenders illegally driving him into the ground and landing on him with his full weight.

This is the result. That's the reason for this exact rule.

Damn. I don't think you would have enjoyed football in the 80's. 

27 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

If Rodgers didn't get injured I doubt people would call that hit illegal.

I don't think it was illegal.  My beef is was it really necessary?  Why tackle a guy who doesn't even have the ball? 

Barr saw an opportunity to get a clean hit on a QB that is capable of beating his team and he took it.   Don't be surprised if this kind of hit is addressed in the offseason.  Remember when Brady was injured in 2008 and the following year a rule was adopted that outlawed defenders going after a QB's lower legs and knees?  

44 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

If Rodgers didn't get injured I doubt people would call that hit illegal.

That's the issue with that kind of hit, the injury rate is monumental. Aaron and Jameis both went down this week from the same type of hit.

Obviously if it was a RB it wouldn't be as big of an issue, but RBs can be replaced. QBs can't.

I'm still under the belief that there's little you can do to change this outcome from happening to another team, but as QBs become more and more mobile and escape the pocket more and more, the NFL may have to update its rules to follow. Every team wants to hit the QB, but backup QBs suck for the NFL's bottom line. That Dallas game last week was the biggest FOX draw of the season, if it was Brett Hundley vs Kellin Moore, the NFL loses millions in revenue.

Welcome to the regular NFL where you don't get 20 plus years of zero injuries to your most important player. Barr didn't do anything we haven't seen a million times in the NFL. QB makes a throw and gets his immediately afterwards. No intent to injure but definitely an intent to throw the QB off his game on the next pass or set of downs. Rodgers has been protected for years by those wearing the zebra costumes and it's cost Dallas, Seattle, Minnesota, Detroit, and Chicago wins. Life goes on. If Thompson is as great as Packer fans think he is the rest of their roster won't miss a beat and the Packers will continue their winning ways.

Archived