NFL has no approval process for owners who transfer their team to family members

DigInBoys

On 2/15/2021 at 8:09 PM, Starless said:

Good grief, the level of boomer bs in this thread is damn near nauseating.

Anyway, the ownership model of pro sports in this country is a joke and the Packers are the only team that gets it even halfway right. 

they're literally the perfect example of why leagues don't even need billionaire owners 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rich homie said:

I tend to find that outside of the United States (and Canada) pro sports are run just like any other business, in that they're regulated just by regular old laws instead of the rules they choose to impose on themselves as a league. 

For instance, if a player signs a contract with a team, that contract is binding for both parties. A team cannot just tear it up or ship it away without the players' consent like what happens all the time in the US. Similarly, leagues can't have arbitrary restrictions for young players based on when they graduated secondary school; the ability for 14-17 year olds to play professionally is regulated almost entirely by child labor laws.

All these points essentially mean that owners just have much less power in sports outside of the US. Outside, owners and players are fighting the same labor vs management battle that everyone else is, whereas in the US the owners have complete control of almost every aspect of the battlefield.

Well most major soccer teams are losing money and only continue to exist due to billionaires pumping money in the club. 

I actually like regulations in the NFL like the salary cap and revenue sharing. Your team might suck, but your team will not go bankrupt or relegated to 3rd division. 

33 minutes ago, Roninho said:

Well most major soccer teams are losing money and only continue to exist due to billionaires pumping money in the club. 

I actually like regulations in the NFL like the salary cap and revenue sharing. Your team might suck, but your team will not go bankrupt or relegated to 3rd division. 

I don't know what "most major soccer teams" means considering there are tens of thousands of professional soccer teams around the world, and probably hundreds of thousands of semi-pro/amateur teams within league pyramids. At least before the pandemic the vast majority of them have been skating on by just like every other business. 

Forced parity measures like the salary cap and revenue sharing only work in a closed, well controlled system. Consider how England, a mini-country slightly smaller than the state of Alabama, has over 100 full time professional soccer teams, as well as around 7000 other teams that play in the same league system. Compared to only 30/32 in the US, there's no way to enforce parity or revenue sharing in those kinds of situations.

Interesting topic.

It would definitely behoove the owners to include a clause that if you purchase a team, you cannot transfer it to a family member for any reason. Bad owners are bad for the league and bad for business. And some of the worst owners (in all sports) have been untalented hacks who inherited the team from their daddy. 

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hey man....they probably paid $90k+ over 4 years to be able to use that word correctly in a sentence. Let them have their moment

I paid that much over twice that time ...and I can order a pizza if asked.