What are you thinking about?

pwny

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Officially admitted to my local community college for Spring 2024 (January 22nd start). Can't believe I'm going back to school at 37. It's getting real. 😬

I'm graduating this December at age 33. Never too late. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, D82 said:

I haven't taken a class since sometime in early 2008. I'm not overly worried about it just not sure how I'm going to adjust to not having the free time once work's over lol.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I haven't taken a class since sometime in early 2008. I'm not overly worried about it just not sure how I'm going to adjust to not having the free time once work's over lol.

Honestly, it's not too bad. Though I had quite a few online classes so that helped out a lot and kinda made it more of a "go at your own pace" sort of thing. 

• Like 1

Just now, D82 said:

Honestly, it's not too bad. Though I had quite a few online classes so that helped out a lot and kinda made it more of a "go at your own pace" sort of thing. 

My entire program is classroom stuff and they are long classes. Good thing is that they are short terms (8 weeks) and it's 2 terms per semester so it's not overly loaded. My work is really lenient if I have day-time classes so I can adjust my hours as necessary but I'm hoping to land what I can at night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Officially admitted to my local community college for Spring 2024 (January 22nd start). Can't believe I'm going back to school at 37. It's getting real. 😬

2 hours ago, D82 said:

Woooooo old people in school club.  🎉

I went back to school and graduated again in my 30s.  It was a lot harder.  But felt a lot more "earned" at the end than my bachelor's that i basically just cruised through half-assedly right out of high school.  I'm not sure if it was actually harder, or just more demanding, or i just had a different appreciation for work and effort, or even just cared more.  But i was a complete wreck at times, where the first go 'round i don't think i ever took any of it seriously at all.  Made it a lot more satisfying to finish and graduate though.

• Like 5

I'm only going for my associate's so I'm not going full bore into it but it's still a step. I'm going for something in the field I work in so it's a progression to make more money otherwise I'd just keep trying to climb the ladder without but this associate's probably adds another 5-10$ an hour once I complete it.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, D82 said:
21 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I’ll be 45 when I’m done with my Masters. Never stop learning, IMO.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't plan on going further than my associates. A lot of people I've talked to in the IT world say you don't really need it. Now, if I end up with a company who wants me to go further, and are willing to pay for it, I may consider it...but I'm done with school 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yeah.  I'm an idiot.  So i always say, this is it and we're done.  But then it's like...but wait, there's more...

I suspect i'm gonna be that dumbass that just spends my entire life intermittently learning and pursuing whatever credentials.  I'm already positioning myself to fill out the base requirements of another professional credential.  I can't really help it.

6 hours ago, D82 said:

I don't plan on going further than my associates. A lot of people I've talked to in the IT world say you don't really need it. Now, if I end up with a company who wants me to go further, and are willing to pay for it, I may consider it...but I'm done with school 😂

I think it does depend on the field too though.

People i know in IT and Software Engineering, their schooling gets them the connections to start building a resume...and at that point, the field is moving too quickly to even really care about schooling anyway.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think it does depend on the field too though.

People i know in IT and Software Engineering, their schooling gets them the connections to start building a resume...and at that point, the field is moving too quickly to even really care about schooling anyway.

Oh, for sure. I have quite a few connections though thanks to being involved in showing dogs though (a friend works for the Department of Energy now and used to do counterintelligence with the FBI, she just gave me a recommendation for a company to put a resume in - still waiting to hear back on that), also have connections with the local school district IT department who've said they'll hire me once I get my diploma. 

That old saying "it's who you know" really applies. 

• Like 3

For the first time in my life, I tried golf. Well, screen golf as it's apparently a massive thing here in Korea. Turns out, I'm horrible at it. I grew up playing most sports so I'm coordinated enough to be average at most sportsball things, but nope, not this. I didn't even touch the green area around the flag until hole 8 and I still swung out 😂

Kudos to you people that are good enough to play for a hobby. 

On 9/23/2023 at 7:06 PM, ET80 said:

I’m weighing whether or not to get a PhD just because, pending work pays for it. Mostly because I’d love for the elitist blowhards to have to call me “Doctor” while wearing a flannel, jeans, and work boots.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

For the first time in my life, I tried golf. Well, screen golf as it's apparently a massive thing here in Korea. Turns out, I'm horrible at it. I grew up playing most sports so I'm coordinated enough to be average at most sportsball things, but nope, not this. I didn't even touch the green area around the flag until hole 8 and I still swung out 😂

Keep doing it lol. I doubt many people are just immediately good at golf. As someone that started a few years ago, having experience with other sports (baseball in particular) really only helped me make consistent contact. Otherwise, hitting it where you want to hit it is something that takes time and practice. 

Some people just never become good at it though but still have fun w it because it’s a fun social thing 

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Golf is such a weird "sport".  So much of it seems to be, "less is more" and it's about real finesse that doesn't just come naturally.  It seems so simple...like, just hit the ball into the hole.  How hard could it be?  But the answer is...very hard.

Not really my bag.  I don't mind hitting the driving range every once in awhile and just Happy Gilmore swinging at the balls and seeing how far i can hit them.  Mini golf can be an alright waste of time.  But the whole in between, and putting it all together to actually play golf...it's just such a patience taxing endeavor.  Not really for me.  lol.

• Like 1