Athlete or Fan?

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i ran cross country in high school and had a promising future. then i discovered sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

hey man, it was the 70's.

The '70's were great...from what I remember!  I discovered girls, beer and played bass guitar (not very well) in a southern punk rock band...think of Lynyrd Skynyrd crossed with The Clash!

I started as an athlete but moved around so much during my high school years (3 different high schools) that I ended up as a fan. I was really good at baseball and being a left hander always intrigued the baseball coaches. Moving around and being a walking bean pole didn't help my confidence and I didn't make many friends. I finished high school at 6'5" and I was so skinny.

Joined the military after a few years of being a rebellious kid and they kept me around 225lbs with all the running and PT.  I currently weight close to 290lbs. I carry it really well and people think I'm 250-260 tops. I'm done running (I want to save my knees so I can still walk if I ever approach the vikedaddy years) but I go on long hikes and walks into the gators infested parks here in Florida. Orlando Wetlands is my favorite. 

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

The '70's were great...from what I remember!  I discovered girls, beer and played bass guitar (not very well) in a southern punk rock band...think of Lynyrd Skynyrd crossed with The Clash!

Should I Stay or Should the Devil Go Down to Georgia....

Athlete.

Add me to the football/wrestling club in HS. Was All-conference in both sports my Junior and Senior years. Qualified for the state tournament my Senior year at 140 lbs, we also made it as a team to state that year. Graduated HS around 165-170 lbs (my football weight). 

Played football in college at the D3 level but never cracked the lineup. I also wrestled for a semester but football was always my first love. By the time I graduated college I was up to 210 lbs.

31 now and I'm 225 lbs, trying to get back down to the 210-215 range and I'm 5'11".

• Like 3

Athlete 

Originally I'm from Texas, played running back in high school. Decided to stay pretty close to home for college so committed to playing at Oklahoma. By the end of college I was 6'1" and 220lb and ran like a bucking bronco. I'm 35 now though and my playing days are coming to an end

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Athlete.

Add me to the football/wrestling club in HS. Was All-conference in both sports my Junior and Senior years. Qualified for the state tournament my Senior year at 140 lbs, we also made it as a team to state that year. Graduated HS around 165-170 lbs (my football weight). 

Played football in college at the D3 level but never cracked the lineup. I also wrestled for a semester but football was always my first love. By the time I graduated college I was up to 210 lbs.

31 now and I'm 225 lbs, trying to get back down to the 210-215 range and I'm 5'11".

The battle is real. I never played college sports myself, but participated in high school sports as a middling participant that helped the team but wasn't special. The best varsity place I ever got was second place on the swim team. There was another guy on the team that I never was going to beat, but I sometimes beat the best guy on the other team.

I also played tennis. Never played organized football on this side of junior high. 

I am solidly in the fan camp nowadays having realized years ago that I can now only live out my sports dreams vicariously through the athletes for which I root.

I graduated high school around 165 too. I was still around 165 when I graduated college, but took a severe turn for the fat my first year out of college owing to having a decent paying job that gave me plenty disposable income and little desire to cook for myself. That battle is real, no doubt. I peaked at around 225 fat pounds, but am currently at 182 (according to my scale today). It is only a matter of time before I start sitting still too much and my pants start feeling tight enough again to get me to bother myself to move more. I've been doing good with the moving lately, which is why I am currently towards the lower range of my weight fluctuation.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I am solidly in the fan camp nowadays having realized years ago that I can now only live out my sports dreams vicariously through the athletes for which I root.

I think most of us are now in the fan stage haha but it is fun to read about people's athletic backgrounds!

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The battle is real. I never played college sports myself, but participated in high school sports as a middling participant that helped the team but wasn't special. The best varsity place I ever got was second place on the swim team. There was another guy on the team that I never was going to beat, but I sometimes beat the best guy on the other team.

I also played tennis. Never played organized football on this side of junior high. 

I graduated high school around 165 too. I was still around 165 when I graduated college, but took a severe turn for the fat my first year out of college owing to having a decent paying job that gave me plenty disposable income and little desire to cook for myself. That battle is real, no doubt. I peaked at around 225 fat pounds, but am currently at 182 (according to my scale today). It is only a matter of time before I start sitting still too much and my pants start feeling tight enough again to get me to bother myself to move more. I've been doing good with the moving lately, which is why I am currently towards the lower range of my weight fluctuation.

I lost a lot of weight in the Marine Corps after high school. However, after my Marine days were behind me, I ballooned up to nearly 350. My weight yo-yo'd for years. I'd lose 30 pounds and gain 40. Lose 40 and gain 50, and so on, and so on. Finally got things under control over the last 6 or 7 years and now stay around 230. It's an everyday struggle though. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I lost a lot of weight in the Marine Corps after high school. However, after my Marine days were behind me, I ballooned up to nearly 350. My weight yo-yo'd for years. I'd lose 30 pounds and gain 40. Lose 40 and gain 50, and so on, and so on. Finally got things under control over the last 6 or 7 years and now stay around 230. It's an everyday struggle though. 

wow, impressive.

18 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I lost 45 pounds in boot. Best diet plan ever lol