Lunatics 2nd Mock Offseason

StLunatic88

I’ve broken down the Cap situation beyond exhaustion at this point, and even I’m budging off the possibility that we are looking at a completely flat Cap nowadays. I’m hoping the League can push it to atleast $190m, but that might be wishful thinking at this point. So while we can move money around, the actual working Cap Space we will have is still limited. I’m going under the assumption we’re looking at $25-30m before Tenders and Draft Picks. 

Free Agents

DeSean Jackson WR

When it comes to the crossroads of top needs, interest in coming here and most importantly contract demands, DJax lines up better than any other Free Agent out there. Throw in that he wont ding us on the Comp Pick formula and this is a great match. He is also at the point in his career that he is suited to be a #4 WR who’s limited routes should help him. I know he has had some injury history, but as Ive pointed out he was still burning secondaries at the end of this season. While he is always a risk to get nicked up, I think he may “recover” a little faster on a contending team unlike the last few seasons. I know some have gravitated toward Ty Williams, but he’s also an injury guy although he is likely still looking to be a featured guy. I’d say TY Hilton is also a possibility, but he came on strong at the end of the year and may be priced out for this roster slot. And the big one everyone is clamoring for is Marvin Jones Jr., which would be great, and everyone got revved up about his quote, but I doubt he has any idea what the Rams Cap capabilities are when that was said.

Larry Warford OL

Its hard to find if Larry wants to come back to the league after opting out of 2020 as a Free Agent, but as soon as jrry brought him up, it just smacked me in the face as a perfect fit. He’s only like 30, so he has some good years left, and this is the type of guy that you actually use the phrase “prove it” deal, where he can show the league he’s still got it, and maybe get one more payday going into the 2022 season. He could slide right into the Guard spot as we move Corbett over to Center and sure up the line. Its going to be very hard to turn what we do have into some dominant unit with the limited capital we have, but this is the type of move that gets us to above average maybe even to good as a whole OL. This should move us to an impressive Run Game unit, with something still to be desired in Pass Pro, but still serviceable at worst (as long as they stay healthy).

Jimmy Graham TE

Does it give anyone else pause that we have suddenly started hearing more and more about who the Rams have looked into as far as possible Trades? Seems like we might be developing some leaks in the FO where it used to be one of the tightest ships in the league. Regardless, I always felt we would be looking into a TE for this year, because both Everett and Higbee both really fell off this season. Graham still shows he has some mid tier TE talent, even if he isn’t the dominant force that he used to be. Obviously he’s not really a blocker, but he can push the middle of the field vertically, forcing LBs and Safeties out of that middle/underneath where Woods and especially Kupp work best. But I feel like we need to have something in the way of a TE Weapon for Stafford, because going from Hockenson to Higbee is not going to cut it. Graham will likely be one of the more expensive acquisitions this offseason, but again he would need to be cut by the Bears and wouldn’t impact the Comp Pick formula that we still need to lean on with the limited future draft picks that we now have.

Geno Atkins DL

I had Allen Bailey in this spot before, and I think there is still a good chance he ends up on the Rams as veteran depth who will be ring chasing, but as I looked more, he is likely a vet minimum guy now. Atkins on the other hand is still likely the rung above that. Not break the bank or anything but not purely minimum either. He was one of the best DTs in the league, but that seemed like a long time ago now. He isn’t much of a run stopper anymore, but he can still get after the QB some, and that would be his role here. Not just in tandem with Donald, but also subbing for him, giving him a little more rest as we start to save AD for the playoff run. Just like Graham, the Bengals haven’t cut him yet, but seems pretty obvious they would, if not just for the Cap Space, but to allow him to chase a ring as he comes to the end of his career.

Von Miller LB

This will be a post draft signing (remember this), after all the legal issues get cleared up and assuming he is in good standing. Also in that case. Most of the league’s contenders will have spent most of their money, and Von will still need to prove he is healthy coming off that injury. He’s not coming for free, but these are the exact situations that Snead likes to keep some money in reserve, that way we can throw a decent chunk at him still and hopefully great a steal for the session as he looks to bounce back for one last major pay day. 

TRADE: LAR send Joe Noteboom OT to JAX for 5th Rounder (#171)

I think we are all projecting this type of deal now, and its really just about who will want to try him out and what we can get in return. This would be JAX’s 9th pick in the draft as it currently stands. And with Trevor Lawrence to protect, they need to invest into the OL. Noteboom is going to be better than most of, if not all of, the middle round LTs day one (they could all be better in the long run). But they need to make sure TL doesn’t get killed in year one (Joe Burrow) and maybe he’s the LT for the long term.

NFL Draft

TRADE: LAR sends #57 to KC for #63+ #136+ #204

KC fell very short in the SB, and they need to make sure they get the few Impact Guys to get back over the hurdle to take full advantage of Mahomes. With only one of their top guys left on the board they jump up and we grab some picks to be able to fill out our roster.

R2/P63 Pete Werner LB Ohio St

At this point I’m not sure who like Werner more, jrry or me. He is just the perfect fit for this defense, especially as we (hopefully) continue to deploy multiple fronts. I think with his Strength, Coverage ability, athleticism and Football IQ that PW can play in just about any LB spot. He would be perfect to team up with Kiser in the middle of an odd front, and while I still think he could play Mike in an even front, he for sure could be a SAM. Either way, he is a 3 down backer, and should be able to be the leader of the defense in short time (something I’m not sure we really have, especially with J3 on the way out)

C3/P101 Tutu Atwell WR Louisville

Like a month ago I questioned someone else’s mock that had him in this range or later, and while I think this is pushing when he will still be available, I think the likes of Eskridge/Wallace/Rodgers are flying past him. And while I think “size concerns” an get overblown, its clearly still a thing when its comes to Davonta Smith, which means its REALLY going to be a thing for Atwell’s draft stock. And unfortunately for him, he wont be able to use the combine to get a John Ross like bump in the 40. I will concede that he will need help creating space off the line, but McVay should be able to scheme it up for him, and he would be a great replacement for Woods on the end around (much more of a threat there). And while I think he will eventually be the Deep Threat this offense needs, when it comes to the 2021 Super Bowl campaign, his biggest impact will be as the Return man, something that has plagued us the past few years.

C3/P103 Jordan Smith EDGE UAB

With very impressive size and especially length he is a prospect that really looks the part already, the question will be will he be able to put it all together. He’s a great athlete, enough so at his size that he can cover as a Rush LB, and has high effort in the run game. He does get swallowed up sometimes, and needs to add some bulk to take on NFL size. His pass rush feels like its mostly on instinct at this point but could be nasty with a real repertoire. His burst is nearly elite, which gives him a very good get off and he closes very well. I like his bend, it looks smooth and natural, not relying on one trait dominating lesser talent. He is still a raw work in progress obviously, but he could be a contributor right away, and grow to a big time splash player.

R4/P136 Olaijah Griffin DB USC

Another guy that i really like his length, and he shows that he knows how to use it at the LOS against receivers. His ability to press and atleast decent play in some zone coverage makes me like him a lot, as it doesn’t limit him to a specific scheme. I really like the way he attacks the ball in the air, not just looking to break up a pass, but actually looks like he thinks he can come down with any ball thrown his way. Now, he hasn’t, and that gets him into trouble some, but I always like that attitude. I believe you can curb that to a positive, but you cant teach it to a timid player. The most desirable trait though, is his willingness to take on guys and put his nose in there for the run game. He has a bit of an injury history, and should have probably returned for another season, but when you can get Warren G’s son, you kinda have to right?

C4/P140 Patrick Johnson EDGE Tulane

At one point people were touting Johnson as a 1st round pick, he is definitely not that. His bend (unlike Smith) leaves a lot to be desired, it was one of the major things he needed to take the leap on to live up to the 1st round hype, he just hasn’t yet. But his speed is very impressive, and the one thing he does better than other similar speed rush prospects (Hamilcar) is convert speed into power in his rush. I do like how he attacks in the run game, he diagnoses very quickly and gets into his fits well enough to disrupt the rush lanes. He can also cover, which will continue to be an important trait to find in LBs for this defense. Adding Werner, Smith and now Johnson to the LB corps really feels like a big step in the right direction. Don’t expect him to be a big time player this year, but would be good depth and special teamer.

R5/P171 Kary Vincent DB LSU

Everone who has watched major college football should know who Vincent is. He has been a big time player for LSU, but he is one of those names that everyone knows but will be dropping in the draft. Most will look at him as a CB and he wont transition very well in the NFL. But I do think his best route is as a Safety. He is a great athlete, with impressive speed and explosion, and he is more of a ball hawk than a cover man. He has a great football IQ and can bait QBs. We keep cycling through Safeties, I think he would be a sold addition to that group, and probably be an asset right away, although his ceiling is very limited.

R6/P204 Alaric Jackson OL Iowa

I will always take a chance on Lineman for certain schools, and Iowa is at the top of that list. And a 4 year starter/contributor is a guy who can help you. Jackson is both of those things. He is mostly maxed out as a Tackle, and would probably be a liability there long term, But I think he has real potential as a Guard, especially in a Zone system. He is a smart player, with impressive natural power, although he is limited Athletically, he would have pertly enough on the inside of the line.

R6/P206 Tedarrell Slaton DL Florida

Talk about a big boy! He is massive, but carries it very well and it doesn’t weigh him down during reps. He is very good with his leverage, but thats about all he uses to make an impact at this point. Limited moves, (swim and a bull) but is decent with what he has. He can collapse the pocket when single teamed. You would think he would be better as a run stuffer at that size, but thats what I like about him. I think he should be, it is just a fundamentals tuning and a bit of an attitude adjustment. If you can get him to realize he should be nominating the run game (and thats the path of success/$$ for him) he has the tools to do that. Would be a nice rotational guy in the middle in the future.

R7/P247 Larry Borom OL Mizzou

Honestly I have been surprised at the lack of any Draft Buzz at all around Borom. He was a difference maker in the Run Game in the SEC. As much stock as you want to put into PFF grades (especially at the college level) he did grade out as their second highest OT in the SEC. He dominated some top level talent in his time there. It seems some aren’t enamored with his athleticism, but I think he has plenty of it, it just wasn’t the style of Offense that Mizzou used the past few years, they lean more on the power game and he excelled there. But has shown that he has the athleticism to get outside and downfield to make an impact. Only giving up like 1 sack as an OT in the SEC is a decent accomplishment. He has the versatility to be a Guard or Tackle. He is probably a project lineman, but is worth the investment at this point to me, especially as a potential replacement to Big Rob next season.

This to me feels like a realistic offseason, using our limited Cap Space to pick up some veterans who will want to ring chase, but have already cashed in big time. Adding an important Vet Lineman on both sides of the ball, a pair of additional weapons for Stafford, and then taking advantage of a situation that combines injury/cap hit/legal issues for one of the all time best rushers in the league (who admittedly may be over the hill). And the Draft is less about filling big holes in the roster, especially as far as starters go, but picking up additional capital to fill out the back of the roster. That should bolster the special teams, help our Stars and Scrubs roster if some of those stars miss some time, and keep us afloat as we look to kicking it into top gear as we hit the playoffs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Von Miller would have to be high on our list if he escapes serious trouble with the NFL.

Yea, that’s really the only thing I’m still worried about. I’d be absolutely shocked if the Broncos don’t cut him. And I think we will earmark like $6-8m that we won’t touch in the hopes he is cleared. And if he isn’t, it’s room to trade for someone else. (And I see a lot of fans not understanding that and screaming why aren’t we spending it)

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I don't see much value in Jimmy Graham at this point, though.

Being completely honest, I don’t either. But I see the Ertz rumor (real or not) and see how much Stafford has “depended” on a TE and feel like McVay will do whatever Stafford wants at this point.

I get it and agree it's a pretty realistic mock. The thing I don't like is you traded our backup LT and didn't draft anybody you think can play there. Unless McVay and Carberry are 100% sold on Anchrum Jr that's a pretty big hole with a 39 year old tackle that's taken a few dings last year. He's been amazingly healthy just not sure I want to go into the season without a successor, again unless we think Anchrum is the guy which is a whole other debate. 

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’m just going to continue a little bit here, and break down some of the position areas as they would stand after this offseason;

Backfield

The QB position is obviously Staffords under almost all circumstances, as he has fought through some pretty serious injuries in the past few years. But in the off chance that one of those happens a little worse, I don’t love our backup QB situation, honestly I don’t like it at all while some seem to be OK with it. I went and rewatched every drive from Wolford, and honestly he made like 3 good/impressive throws the whole time. This is not getting into a Goff conversation, thats who only time I’m mentioning him is just to say its not about him. While Wolford presents that fun and at times LB/S freezing ability to take off with the ball, thats what was giving him the opportunity to completely some wide open completions. And as I said in the past, the league catching up to him now that there is some tape (especially now that he/McVay would be less likely to call designed runs than before) because most backups, even lifetime average ones, get figured out pretty quickly. I don’t think we shoul be spending real money on the backup QB position, but I don’t like having Wolford as the only option there.

When looking at the RB position, I really like the tandem of Akers/Henderson. Cam looked like he finished the season as a legitimate lead back, and Henderson was coming on before that injury. Fully healthy I think they are set to really be the focal point of this offense, especially without trying to fit the square peg that was Brown into the round hole of this offense. I would like us to find a Vet RB going into Training Camp though. One that will really be a camp invite and compete with some UDFA RBs for that 3rd spot. We don’t need a change of pace back in that spot, I’d be more inclined to find a bit more a bruiser there, because if Akers is out, I don’t trust Henderson to get goal line/short yardage stuff done. Plus I’m always in for us to be using more of a FB in this offense too.

Receivers

The additions in this offseason (Jackson/Graham/Atwell) really gives some depth to this offense. Unfortunately Engram was a dud for us, and will likely look good out the gate when he signs elsewhere next year. But we have to move on, and if we weren’t financially tied to Higbee I think he’d be gone too. I wouldn’t expect too much out of Graham, but if he could catch 30-40 balls and 5-6 TDs it would be worthwhile for 2021. But if we plan on Stafford being around beyond 2022, we will likely need to find a new weapon there. I don’t expect Jackson to have some huge impact year, and look like the 27 y/o DeSean again. But if he can connect on a huge play every few weeks, he’s going to keep every defense honest. And possibly the most impactful add of this group, on a week to week basis might be Tutu, but as a Return Man. Just having someone who knows what to do, and maybe get a net 7+ Yards, vs being to scared to catch a ball and giving us starting position on the 11 yard line will be massive for this offense.

Offensive Line

The dream scenario would be to fully revamp this line. But the more I look at it, the more it doesn’t seem possible. I know many have Future LT at the top of their list, but that is a luxury pick, and we don’t have those type of picks to spare. The few Top 100ish pick need to have some Impact on this year. And to take a guy who may not ever see the field there is kind of a waste. You’ll say “what if Whit gets hurt again?” Well then we are in trouble, but I don’t think that a Chandler Brewer (or some of the vet street FA with LT experience) would be doing any worse than a 4th round Rookie could do in that spot. We definately will take lineman, but I don’t think its going to be high unless they are looking to have them start this season (like a Quinn Meinerz). Corbett is likely just a stop gap at center, and Warford is probably a 1 year, maybe a 2nd high dollar contract. So yes we will be right back in this position going into 2022, but this is the route we have chosen. I think both Evans and Edwards probably could be contributors in the long term, maybe even Corbett proves he is a good enough Center to resign, but right now, were focused on doing the best we can for 2021, and figure the rest out later.

Front 7

Donald will always be the focal point of this Defense, but we may really be scrambling for replacement talent after this season. If we could pull this off (plus another ring chaser like Bailey) that would be a dominant looking Lineman group. Robinson and Brockers are both very good at what they do, and adding Atkins gives us another legitimate pass rusher from the inside. Plus the lesser names of Gaines and SJD were both very good contributors this year (check how how they stepped up in the playoff game, amongst other strong performances) But like I said, I think we are going to have to use those Brock and A-Rob contracts to make some cap space in ‘22.

The headliner at the LB spot is obviously Miller, and as stated, its all dependent on the legal situation. The Rams would have to be one of the favorites to get him in, and there is not many other ways to rehabilitate your stock than being a LB rushing with AD. But the real gem to be is Werner, as he would be a game changer as a ILB, and would allow our other downhill guys to be more impactful. And we also have some future talent when you combine Lewis already on the roster with Johnson and Smith, all three have high end potential, and could be contributors in different ways. This weakness could turn into a strength real quick with a good draft and Lewis staying healthy.

Secondary

Were always going to be in good shape with Ramsey at one Corner (although we better keep winning or it might be an issue real quick). And I really like D-Will, but will we sign him long term? Or will we be trying to roll the dice over and over of finding some guys off others scrap heaps? I feel like there are always sold in CBS though out the middle of the draft, like Griffin in this one, and since we do have Jalen, all we need is that component complimentary piece. The real concern now comes in at the Safety spot, as we lose another Pro Bowl talent. I like the youngsters we have to fill in there, but I think we are still going to feel J3’s absence. Those are some big shoes to fill. We are going to need like 3-4 young talents to step up this year to keep the Secondary as a strength of a defense. But again, one of the best CBs in the league will make up for/disguise a lot of things.

Specialists

We all know how great Johnny Hekker can be, and we all now feel atleast comfortable with Gay Kicking, but the biggest change here is going to be at the Coordinator position. Its going to be hard to see anyone being worse than Bonamego was last year, Protection, coverage, returns all were just horrid. So much so that our All-Pro Kicker looked like he didn’t deserve to be on a Roster at times (just making sure he wasn’t blocked). The one thing I didn’t show us addressing here was Long Snapper, which I’d Love to have McQuaide back, but we cant really pay that spot much more than the minimum. And finally having that return man should get rid of a lot of headaches. 

Just some overall thoughts where we would net out in this type of offseason. I think this would make us a serious Super Bowl contender, if we can get relatively lucky with Injuries once again in 2021. But a few key ones, could really sink us, especially in a division that seem to continue to get stronger,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Offensive Line

The dream scenario would be to fully revamp this line. But the more I look at it, the more it doesn’t seem possible. I know many have Future LT at the top of their list, but that is a luxury pick, and we don’t have those type of picks to spare. The few Top 100ish pick need to have some Impact on this year. And to take a guy who may not ever see the field there is kind of a waste. You’ll say “what if Whit gets hurt again?” Well then we are in trouble, but I don’t think that a Chandler Brewer (or some of the vet street FA with LT experience) would be doing any worse than a 4th round Rookie could do in that spot. We definately will take lineman, but I don’t think its going to be high unless they are looking to have them start this season (like a Quinn Meinerz). Corbett is likely just a stop gap at center, and Warford is probably a 1 year, maybe a 2nd high dollar contract. So yes we will be right back in this position going into 2022, but this is the route we have chosen. I think both Evans and Edwards probably could be contributors in the long term, maybe even Corbett proves he is a good enough Center to resign, but right now, were focused on doing the best we can for 2021, and figure the rest out later.

A guy like Radunz can come in and start at LG from day 1 upgrading the position and be the long term LT. There are others like him as well who could do the same. 

8 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

A guy like Radunz can come in and start at LG from day 1 upgrading the position and be the long term LT. There are others like him as well who could do the same. 

I think I find that type of list to be a lot shorter than you do.

Could Radunz? Maybe but he plays very upright (one of his biggest improve to needed areas) and that would be very bad for a guard. Some still see Clemsons Carman as an OT, I think he is going to have to be a Guard. Alex Leatherwood could probably be that type of guy, but he is much more of a Power blocker than the Zone we run (thats nearly all Bama lineman). Maybe James Hudson could be that guy, but I haven’t seen much of him that translates to Guard with Cincinnati’s offense. Vera-Tucker could definitely be that, but I think he’s long gone. Unless we make the move to Trade away Big Rob, and then have the ability to go trade up for Jalen Mayfield to be the RT for a year or two, then I don’t see that many Future LTs that can just slide into the guard spot.

But my point was, with this offseason that I laid out picking up Warford who would be a Starter at Guard, we then don’t need to fill that hole, and I wouldn’t waste another pick for a potential LT (we might be in the Noteboom situation all over again)

I think were more likely to hope Whit stays healthy one more year, or go out and get another Vet LT on the downside of their career who wants to Ring chase. Or find that type of high upside LT next year in the 2nd that we hope that we can coach up real quick. But having Whit, I don’t see that as a Top 3 or maybe even Top 5 need for 2021, and If I remember correctly, were all in to win now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think I find that type of list to be a lot shorter than you do.

Could Radunz? Maybe but he plays very upright (one of his biggest improve to needed areas) and that would be very bad for a guard. Some still see Clemsons Carman as an OT, I think he is going to have to be a Guard. Alex Leatherwood could probably be that type of guy, but he is much more of a Power blocker than the Zone we run (thats nearly all Bama lineman). Maybe James Hudson could be that guy, but I haven’t seen much of him that translates to Guard with Cincinnati’s offense. Vera-Tucker could definitely be that, but I think he’s long gone. Unless we make the move to Trade away Big Rob, and then have the ability to go trade up for Jalen Mayfield to be the RT for a year or two, then I don’t see that many Future LTs that can just slide into the guard spot.

But my point was, with this offseason that I laid out picking up Warford who would be a Starter at Guard, we then don’t need to fill that hole, and I wouldn’t waste another pick for a potential LT (we might be in the Noteboom situation all over again)

I think were more likely to hope Whit stays healthy one more year, or go out and get another Vet LT on the downside of their career who wants to Ring chase. Or find that type of high upside LT next year in the 2nd that we hope that we can coach up real quick. But having Whit, I don’t see that as a Top 3 or maybe even Top 5 need for 2021, and If I remember correctly, were all in to win now.

I agree on Radunz and Carman. Hudson couldn't play OG. I think Leatherwood could in our system. He has the athleticism to play in a zone scheme. Slater and Vera-Tucker definitely could, but both are long gone. Liam Eichenberg, like Leatherwood, could probably pull off starting at OG too. But I have a feeling we'll have better options than a rookie.

• Like 1

Im not here to argue with you about Djax because i get it and it definitely makes sense. That being said, i really feel like we will sign him and then look back at the end of the year upset that we didnt get another speed guy because he will inevitably be injured.

Other than that, would LOVE if this is how our offseason went.

17 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

We are in win-now mode, but having a viable back up LT this season is a Top 5 need IMO; more so because of Whit coming off an injury and being 39. If he goes down, we would be lucky to get 10 wins. I'm on board with drafting a LT with one of our first 3 picks this year. 

10 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

We are in win-now mode, but having a viable back up LT this season is a Top 5 need IMO; more so because of Whit coming off an injury and being 39. If he goes down, we would be lucky to get 10 wins. I'm on board with drafting a LT with one of our first 3 picks this year. 

So you’re willing to take a guy with our Top picks who might not ever see the field in 2021?

Doing that over some LBs that we desperately need, or a weapon that could be a boost to the offense, or even a lineman that could actually fit a immediate need (IOL)? I guess I’d rather take our chances and get an impact player for now. Because as I’ve said, outside of the Top 8 OTs, who could all be gone before we have our first pick, probably wouldn’t be any better for 2021 than Brewer or some other vet street FA. 

We passed on the ability to make luxury picks, pretty much every impact player we can add, we have to. That’s basically all remaining Cap Space and Top ~100 picks. 

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StLunatic88 said:

So you’re will to take a guy with our Top picks who might not ever see the field in 2021?

Doing that over some LBs that we desperately need, or a weapon that could be a boost to the offense, or even a lineman that could actually fit a immediate need (IOL)? I guess I’d rather take our chances and get an impact player for now. Because as I’ve said, outside of the Top 8 OTs, who could all be gone before we have our first pick, probably wouldn’t be any better for 2021 than Brewer or some other vet street FA. 

It would certainly follow our trend of drafting a year ahead of need (Van Jefferson, Taylor Rapp, Bryce Hopkins, etc)

I just wouldn't feel comfortable with trading Noteboom and rolling into the season with no one behind Whit besides Anchrum or Evans. I'd be interested in hearing what Street FA's could be brought in, but we likely need to see who gets cut.

• Like 1