Week 7: Ravens (3-3) at VIKINGS (4-2)

swede700

On 10/17/2017 at 2:39 PM, berlin calling said:

at this point, absolutely. Harbaugh to me does not have what i want in a head coach, he should be involved in game planning and be able to adjust on the side line if necessary, yet he just seems to watch the games in front row w/o really participating much. probably just does not have any experience in defensive nor offensive playcalling so he rather leaves it to his coordinators. keeps adding coordinators he is friends with and sticks with them no matter what.

fans are calling for Dean Pees head for years now and all the FO does is feed him with free agents and draft picks, yet he still is unable to field a top5 unit. he can't scheme to his players strength and will just try to force them in his system. didn't develop any young players really all the years he has been here.

while the offense has suffered numerous injuries, i still won't give Mornhinweg (the OC) a pass since all his playcaling is absurdly bad. you would think with Flaccos arm and speedy wide receivers he would rather go deep than dink and dunk yet the latter is all he seems to have in his playbook.

soooo... every year since the SB is the same ol' 7-9/8-8 bs, the FO / owner seem to be content with being just good enough. would rather see them tank for 1-2 years and get some young creative minds in as coordinators than just missing the playoffs again (where we do not have any business to be in anyway).

@berlin calling you might get your wish, as he got the dreaded vote of confidence....

Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti expressed confidence in coach John Harbaugh, general manager Ozzie Newsome and quarterback Joe Flacco after his team was upset at home by the Chicago Bears to fall to 3-3.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21091060/owner-steve-bisciotti-confident-baltimore-ravens-coach-gm-qb

13 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Interesting. It might be just an attempt to bolster Harbaugh's confidence (no sense in having a demoralized HC who knows he's going to lose his job in January) and deter any speculation about his firing. If I were the Ravens, I'd be quietly scouting other candidates while paying lip service to Harbaugh so as not to distract him or the team. That's not a very nice thing to do - but remember, I'm pretending to be the Ravens here. ;)

On 10/17/2017 at 2:39 PM, berlin calling said:

at this point, absolutely. Harbaugh to me does not have what i want in a head coach, he should be involved in game planning and be able to adjust on the side line if necessary, yet he just seems to watch the games in front row w/o really participating much. probably just does not have any experience in defensive nor offensive playcalling so he rather leaves it to his coordinators. keeps adding coordinators he is friends with and sticks with them no matter what.

fans are calling for Dean Pees head for years now and all the FO does is feed him with free agents and draft picks, yet he still is unable to field a top5 unit. he can't scheme to his players strength and will just try to force them in his system. didn't develop any young players really all the years he has been here.

while the offense has suffered numerous injuries, i still won't give Mornhinweg (the OC) a pass since all his playcaling is absurdly bad. you would think with Flaccos arm and speedy wide receivers he would rather go deep than dink and dunk yet the latter is all he seems to have in his playbook.

soooo... every year since the SB is the same ol' 7-9/8-8 bs, the FO / owner seem to be content with being just good enough. would rather see them tank for 1-2 years and get some young creative minds in as coordinators than just missing the playoffs again (where we do not have any business to be in anyway).

The bolded is something I would definitely take issue with. I'm not someone who has an issue with a CEO-style head coach who lets his assistants run things. But if a HC is not involved with playcalling, it is imperative that he hire good assistants. I'm not around the team to know whether or not these guys are good, but the product on the field in the last 5 years hasn't exactly inspired confidence.

However, I don't think that's where all the blame should lie. Frankly, I'm not all that impressed with the collection of talent on the Ravens roster. If it were me, that's where I would focus most of my frustration. That can partly be blamed on injuries, but not solely. Drafting got a little better more recently, but going back 5 years to the guys who should be the foundation of the team, I'm not seeing much. A number of guys either struggled in Baltimore (T. Smith), already moved on to a new team (Osemele) or are even completely out of the league (Elam).

They seem to have a lot of good older vets and are bringing in some younger guys now, but the middle core of guys in their prime is lacking. They haven't supplemented that well in free agency either from what I've seen. When 30-year olds Mike Wallace and Danny Woodhead are two of your bigger FA additions, something needs to be fixed. Maclin was a good pickup, but they need more signings like that. Many more.

This game makes me nervous. The Ravens have an opportunistic defense and with no Diggs again, I could see Keenum struggling. As long as he doesn't turn it over the Viking should be able to win, but if he plays like last week, I could easily see the Ravens creating a couple turnovers which could lead to easy points. 

30 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

This game makes me nervous. The Ravens have an opportunistic defense and with no Diggs again, I could see Keenum struggling. As long as he doesn't turn it over the Viking should be able to win, but if he plays like last week, I could easily see the Ravens creating a couple turnovers which could lead to easy points. 

On the road, I'd be nervous. At home, I feel pretty confident. Turnover margin and special teams will be key though. Can't allow them to get big plays there....

Todays biggest goals should be to stop Alex Collins who currently holds the largest YPC numbers in the NFL this season. While limited use and splitting time with Buck Allen, he still poses a threat. Allen also is a threat to us, but we have been stout against pass rushing backs so far this season limiting Riddick and Cohen to virtually nothing. Making Flacco stick to the passing game should be a big deal. They have a depleted offensive line and our pass rush is still very strong. Should see Rhodes basically spying an injured Maclin, but is by far their best receiver when healthy.

Their version of Linval Joseph is back this week also, Brandon Williams, who will be a force in the run game. He does have a foot injury which can effect him in the trenches. Elfien, Berger, and Sirels are put up to a test again this week. Going to be hard to get the pass game going, Jimmy Smith and Brandon Carr are about the best pair of CB's this year along with Lardarius Webb in the slot has been solid at holding back people, but I believe I did here his actually PFF numbers are not great. Hopefully Thielen can get 'er going today.

Archived