HUNDLEYMANIA!

ThatJerkDave

We have an Aaron Rodgers thread.  We have an Aaron Jones thread.  It is time for Hundleymania! 

When it comes crashing down on Aaron Rodgers' collar bone and he is hurt inside, Brett Hundley takes a stand, he won't hide.  They hurt his friend, and they hurt our pride, Brett Hundley is the man, he won't let it slide.  HUNDLEYMANIA!

Here's what I expect, and then what I want to see from Hundley

What I expect

1. Hundley will not be given an opportunity to throw on 1st and 2nd/long early in the game, which sets him up for failure
  2. Hundley will get the ball out quickly, sometimes too quickly, but the offense will play "on time" in most cases.  This is very different from Rodgers, who doesn't hit the middle/short pass or dump-off.
  3. There will be a lot of "defined" reads off play action when he does pass; he will not be asked to survey the entire field.  Think that 30 yard pass vs chicago off play action roll out where there's a couple TEs as options.
  4. McCarthy will over-use the WR screen plays trying to get the ball out and manufacture a running game without an OL.
  5. Hundley struggled with accuracy coming off the bench.  I expect that he'll need to make a play with his legs, or scramble for a pass before he settles into the game.

What I want to see:

1. Hundley improving week to week.  Even if it's small improvements, that will help him to build confidence.  As long as Hundley is "improving" this team has a chance to go on a run late in the season.  Most of this is not on Hundley, incidentally.  A bigger part of Hundley "improving" will be the health of the O-line increasing, and the offense gelling around Hundley.  Which means coaching and playcalling, and chemistry from the receivers. 
  2. I was really REEALLLY encouraged by the conversations that Hundley was having with Adams and Jordy on the sideline.
    1. The next step to that will be for Hundley to dictate the conversations rather than just asking for input, and start to be the leader of this team.  He did a great job in the post-game press conference, and expect reports out of practice this week or during the bye to focus on how Hundley is starting to lead the team.
  3. Zone read runs.  Jones/Hundley should be a good combo for this, and possibly Williams/Hundley as well.  These are viable 3rd and 5 to 3rd and 8 plays for this team.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I hope Mac let's Hundley go down swinging. Seemed like every other play in the 4th Q was a screen to Monty or Jones.

Maybe this actually can help Adams/Jordy/Bennett in the short term. Maybe Hundley gives them that 50/50 ball that Aaron passes on and let's them make the play.

With the state of the OL and MN's defense Hundley was running for his life.  NO's D isn't as good and fast like the Vikes' so perhaps Brett will have more than 2 seconds to scan the field and pass the ball this Sunday.

I have to believe this offense will adjust. If McCarthy and this offensive staff thinks Hundley is just going to run the same offense as Aaron... they should lose their jobs. Last time when aaarin went down they realized what they need to do, focus on Lacy.

I'm going to guess they run the ball more (probably with very mixed results) and make the game small for Hundley until he proves he can affectively operate the offense to a degree that McCarthy can truly open it up.

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I have to believe this offense will adjust. If McCarthy and this offensive staff thinks Hundley is just going to run the same offense as Aaron... they should lose their jobs. Last time when aaarin went down they realized what they need to do, focus on Lacy.

I'm going to guess they run the ball more (probably with very mixed results) and make the game small for Hundley until he proves he can affectively operate the offense to a degree that McCarthy can truly open it up.

I disagree, at least as it pertains to Hundley running the same offense as Aaron.  He's been training to run this exact same offense his whole career.  He's not athletically limited, and there's no plays he "Can't" run that Aaron can.  He won't be nearly as effective, and he brings a bit more pop in the athleticism department than Aaron.

To me, trying to run the ball before your QB is established as a threat is a great way to set up 3rd and 8.  Mac needs to let Hundley throw on 1st down, when he's set up for success.

Our Defense is not gonna hold up vs NO like they could vs Minnesota.  Hundley will need to score in his first start.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I disagree, at least as it pertains to Hundley running the same offense as Aaron.  He's been training to run this exact same offense his whole career.  He's not athletically limited, and there's no plays he "Can't" run that Aaron can.  He won't be nearly as effective, and he brings a bit more pop in the athleticism department than Aaron.

To me, trying to run the ball before your QB is established as a threat is a great way to set up 3rd and 8.  Mac needs to let Hundley throw on 1st down, when he's set up for success.

Our Defense is not gonna hold up vs NO like they could vs Minnesota.  Hundley will need to score in his first start.

Oh I agree, we are going to run the same offense... but it's going to be different (maybe very different). Because they will be focused on different route combinations. With Favre and McCarthy we were a heavy slant team (Jennings, Jones, etc).

Rodgers is a different QB so it evolved. My point is for Hundley to be successful they need to evolve the offense to him. Maybe that's more read option, maybe that's more shotgun. Run the offense but adjust it to Hundley's play style.

I agree though... you need to throw. The running game isn't strong enough to take on 8/9 in the box.

3 minutes ago, packerjmf said:

Anyone else concerned with Hundley's pocket awareness? I know he had a poor offensive line during the preseason and against Minnesota, but it's something he struggled with in college as well:
http://www.dailynews.com/2014/10/05/sacks-continuing-to-pile-up-for-brett-hundley-ucla/

I think you have to be concerned with that and Hundley's inaccuracy. He missed high... a lot. Those tend to be INTs. How much is that coming off the bench cold in a bad situation and how much is just Hundley's play style?

I think Hundley is talented enough, can win and be a starter. But just like in 2008, McCarthy is going to need to make it easier on Hundley. Do what McVay is doing for Goff. Give Hundley clear and easy reads. Run combination routes that will make for a clear open target.

This will get Hundley in rhythm and make it so he doesn't need to think as much.

22 hours ago, Green19 said:

Oh I agree, we are going to run the same offense... but it's going to be different (maybe very different). Because they will be focused on different route combinations. With Favre and McCarthy we were a heavy slant team (Jennings, Jones, etc).

Rodgers is a different QB so it evolved. My point is for Hundley to be successful they need to evolve the offense to him. Maybe that's more read option, maybe that's more shotgun. Run the offense but adjust it to Hundley's play style.

I agree though... you need to throw. The running game isn't strong enough to take on 8/9 in the box.

Teams are now gonna stack the box and dare Hundley to beat them with their arm.  No team was gonna do be foolish and do that when we had #12.

23 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Teams are now gonna stack the box and dare Hundley to beat them with their arm.  No team was gonna do be foolish and do that when we had #12.

True... but teams with young inexperienced QBs are finding success on offense. Look at Goff, Watson, etc. McCarthy needs to structure his offense to Hundley now.

The days of second reaction plays, toying with the playcall at the line of scrimmage are gone. Hundley needs clear, open reads... until he gains some level of comfort.

Make the field smaller for him. If defenses stack the box, that's fine. Let Hundley throw... but structure it so he sees success.

13 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, Green, but also remember our OL is a mess so let's hope the guys we have in there can give Hundley time to throw.  

Oh I know... it's not pretty. But I'd imagine we are going to do a lot of short stuff so the rush isn't an issue.

Then when they press because they can't get to Hundley, you start double moving them.

Archived