Pro Day/ Combine testing times:

Ozzy

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Stronger arm, more athletic, more accurate, less shaky under pressure, less prone to turnovers, and a far quicker, compact, and technically sound release. 

Less shaky under pressure?  What pressure did he go up against this year outside of Costal Carolina?  Sam Darnold faced more pressure situations playing two games in either his RS FR or RS SOPH year than Wilson faced this entire season at BYU this past season.

Less prone to turnovers?  When this past year?  Because the two seasons previous Zach Wilson threw 23 TDs and 12 INTs, notably as a SOPH had 11 TDs and 9 INTs that season.  But yeah Sam had some INT issues but it is not like Wilson didn't when looking at his entire career.

Mind you Sam Darnold had his pro day in the rain and threw some dimes in the rain.  Not sure Zach Wilson could have done that, and they were on the move and off balance throws.  But yeah Wilson has a more talented throwing arm all around, but both have similarities as prospects.  

Just now, Ragnarok said:

He doesn't have two years of Adam Gase ruining him.

True, not sure when Gase was considered the QB whisperer he clearly is not, what with Jay Cutler one year and he did not throw many INTs?  That makes Gase great?  I guess it could be that year Denver got to the Super bowl and he was the OC as if Peyton Manning as your QB had nothing to do with it.  Either way Darnold did not have much around him so regardless of the coach few if any QBs would have succeeded there.  Poor OL and few if any weapons and little to no run game. 

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Less shaky under pressure?  What pressure did he go up against this year outside of Costal Carolina?  Sam Darnold faced more pressure situations playing two games in either his RS FR or RS SOPH year than Wilson faced this entire season at BYU this past season.

I'm not talking about big games. I'm talking about defensive pressure. Darnold did not handle defensive pressure well. He was shaky in the pocket.

Less prone to turnovers?  When this past year?  Because the two seasons previous Zach Wilson threw 23 TDs and 12 INTs, notably as a SOPH had 11 TDs and 9 INTs that season.  But yeah Sam had some INT issues but it is not like Wilson didn't when looking at his entire career.

Darnold had problems with fumbling and INTs. And his turnover problems got worse as his college career progressed. Wilson, on the other hand, cut down on his turnovers in his final year.

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, not sure when Gase was considered the QB whisperer he clearly is not, what with Jay Cutler one year and he did not throw many INTs?  That makes Gase great?  I guess it could be that year Denver got to the Super bowl and he was the OC as if Peyton Manning as your QB had nothing to do with it.  Either way Darnold did not have much around him so regardless of the coach few if any QBs would have succeeded there.  Poor OL and few if any weapons and little to no run game. 

Evidently Peyton vouched for him.  He was also the OC for Josh Freeman when he had a good year.  

That said, I really do think Darnold would have had a massively different trajectory if he had gone to even a semi-functional team/system.  I would not be surprised if he had a Tannehill-type resurgence in his career assuming he goes somewhere functional.

Unfortunately I still see people blaming Adam Gase for Sam Darnold’s poor play and it’s like somehow they refuse to watch the games and see the actual issues in Sam’s regression.

It’s like he holds no responsibility for playing bad and even when people do acknowledge it they still blame everyone else. 

“Yeah he was bad but he didn’t get any help”

That statement needs to stop at “Yeah he was bad”

Edited by KingOfNewYork
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Unfortunately I still see people blaming Adam Gase for Sam Darnold’s poor play and it’s like somehow they refuse to watch the games and see the actual issues in Sam’s regression.

It’s like he holds no responsibility for playing bad and even when people do acknowledge it they still blame everyone else. 

“Yeah he was bad but he didn’t get any help”

That statement needs to stop at “Yeah he was bad”

I'm in agreement. Gase is a bad HC, but he didn't ruin Tannehill. Tannehill's numbers actually improved under Gase. And when Tannehill landed in a great situation, his numbers skyrocketed. Yes, Darnold hasn't been surrounded by talent. That's a fair critique. But he hasn't performed well under Bowles or Gase. And I think the simplest explanation is that he just isn't an effective starting QB. Could a QB guru save his career? I won't put it out of the realm of possibilities, but I wouldn't bet a Day 2 pick on it.

57 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm in agreement. Gase is a bad HC, but he didn't ruin Tannehill. Tannehill's numbers actually improved under Gase. And when Tannehill landed in a great situation, his numbers skyrocketed. Yes, Darnold hasn't been surrounded by talent. That's a fair critique. But he hasn't performed well under Bowles or Gase. And I think the simplest explanation is that he just isn't an effective starting QB. Could a QB guru save his career? I won't put it out of the realm of possibilities, but I wouldn't bet a Day 2 pick on it.

I feel like even with more talent around him he would at best be Goff level and even the Rams knew that wasn’t enough. 

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

What does this mean? Like, Lance can curl more in the gym? 

Are you joking?  Ok then I am the only one impressed about the physical progression of Trey Lance since last time he played a full season of football.

031221.S.FF.PRODAY.jpg

49ERS_TALK_TRADE_032621.jpg

Trey-Lance-Philadelphia-Eagles-Pro-Day-N

Used to look like this.

GettyImages-1230923604-e1615630236499.jp

There is a reason he wore a log sleeve t-shirt on and and long gray leg tights with shorts.  

merlin_2860739.0.jpg

Zach-Wilson-1-1024x682.jpg

Lucky for Zach Wilson he is a good athlete in terms of mobility and can without question throw on the move so maybe it does not matter.  But one frame is built right now to take a hit more than the other one is.  Wilson's shoulders are a little on the narrow side as well along with his overall frame.  Is it everything no, but it is a box to check.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There is a reason he wore a log sleeve t-shirt on and and long gray leg tights with shorts.  

merlin_2860739.0.jpg

Zach-Wilson-1-1024x682.jpg

Lucky for Zach Wilson he is a good athlete in terms of mobility and can without question throw on the move so maybe it does not matter.  But one frame is built right now to take a hit more than the other one is.  Wilson's shoulders are a little on the narrow side as well along with his overall frame.  Is it everything no, but it is a box to check.

What...is the reason?  We've seen a lot of QBs wear exactly that for pro days.

Also, his shoulders are a little narrow?  Really?

You've made some good points about Lance, but on these, I think you are trying to force things to fit your narrative.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

What...is the reason?  We've seen a lot of QBs wear exactly that for pro days.

Also, his shoulders are a little narrow?  Really?

You've made some good points about Lance, but on these, I think you are trying to force things to fit your narrative.

It wouldn’t have mattered how Zach Wilson looked at his pro day. I think it was pretty evident throughout the draft forum the mind was made up on Lance being “the better” prospect after Lance’s pro day.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Are you joking?  Ok then I am the only one impressed about the physical progression of Trey Lance since last time he played a full season of football.

Bruh, I had to ask. I’ve never, not once, seen someone  look at or compare arm strength of a QB that wasn’t related to throwing...You just mean the overall physique, which makes a little more sense. Strictly looking at “stronger arm, physically” threw me off.