Pre-Start of League Year Mock

Louis Friend

Since Brad Holmes took over as GM, we knew a rebuild was underway. The best way to rebuild is to build through the draft and cut big contracts up front.

Obviously moving Stafford for Goff/picks was his big splash as GM. But letting Golladay/Okwara walk could end up being good for the team as well. There is little doubt we'll get a 3rd rd comp pick for Golladay (possibly a later round comp pick for Okwara depending on his contract and other league signings) as he's the biggest name FA WR since Godwin/Robinson were tagged, and I don't see the Lions making any big free agency moves with a reduced cap this season.

We've already decided to release Desmond Trufant and Christian Jones, I think a number of players are also on the chopping block. I would cut ALL of them. 

Cuts- cap savings in 2021/cap savings in 2022

Danny Shelton $4,000,000

Nick Williams $4,700,000

Justin Coleman $4,942,000/$11,029,000

Joe Dahl $2,850,000

Jesse James $2,142,000/$7,179,000

Chase Daniel $2,300,000/$5,750,000

This creates $20,934,000 in capspace this season and $23,958,000 next season.

Draft Picks-

Brad Holmes has set us up draft wise over the next 3 drafts. Gaining additional picks all 3 years, as well as possible comp picks from not tagging Golladay/Okwara and possibly grooming potential coaching candidates.

2021:

1st

2nd

3rd

3rd (via Rams)

4th 

5th

2022:

1st

1st (via Rams)

2nd

3rd 

3rd (comp)

4th

5th

6th

7th

2023:

1st

1st (via Rams)

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

We are looking at AT LEAST 4 to 5 day 1 and 2 picks the next 3 drafts with the legit possibility of more. 

Roster to build around as of today:

Offense-

QB- Jared Goff

RB- D'Andre Swift/Kerryon Johnson

WR- 

LT- Taylor Decker

LG- Jonah Jackson

C- Frank Ragnow

RG-

RT-

TE- T.J. Hockenson

Slot-

WR- Tyrell Williams

Defense-

DE-

DT-

DT-

DE- Trey Flowers

LB- Jamie Collins (restructured)

LB-

LB-

CB- Jeff Okudah

FS- Tracy Walker III

SS-

CB- Amani Oruwariye

Special Teams-

K-

P- Jack Fox (ERFA)

LS- Don Muhlbach ('FOLYFE)

Team Needs-

WR

ROL

EDGE

IDL

LB

S

RB2

TE2

QB2

K

2021 Draft Picks (no trades)

#7. Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU- He's definitely in play at #7 and with Golladay walking, WR is a massive hole for the Lions. They can fill up one spot for the next 5 years on a rookie contact with best WR in the draft. Chase/Williams/Cephus/?????

#41. Dillon Radunz, OT NDSU- Radunz is an incredibly tackle with great ability and decision making. He will help solidify our OL. OL-Decker/Jackson/Ragnow/Vaitai/Radunz

#72. Jabril Cox, LB LSU- With our LB needing a complete overhaul, picking one of the best and most versatile LB in the draft is a luxury. Cox can play in both man and zone. He's a great building block for that unit. 

#88. Shaka Toney, DE Penn State- I love this guys quickness and consistent effort. His frame is questionable at the next level, but I have no doubt our new coaching staff can put him in the right situation to get after the QB. 

#102. Marlon Tuipulotu, DT USC- 3 down DT with solid fundamentals but no real go-to moves. He's a solid rotational guy, like Penisini.

#136. Amari Rodgers, WR Clemson- Slot receiver built like a running back. He's a very physical player. He can fill the Danny Amendola and FB roles for us. 

Free Agency-

I don't see the Lions spending much in free agency. Salary cap is much smaller this season and will jump next offseason, as well as the possible comp pick interference. I could see them signing one or two impact guys on smaller contracts this offseason. 

John Johnson S- I'm much less confident on our safeties than most around here. I think we need to start all over there. John Johnson is a good start. 25 yr old, possible pro bowler. Familiarity with Holmes/Pleasant from the Rams. Will pair nicely with our young CBs in the secondary. 

Kenyan Drake RB- Is not the lead back most expected him to be. But can still be a damn good RBBC with someone like Swift. This is Kerryon's prove it year. Adding some competition and depth to the roster cannot hurt.

Sheldon Rankins DT- Dan Campbell knows this guy and Rankins can earn his next big contract here without anyone really in his way.

Troy Hill, CB- 30 yr old corner but can still compete with others around him. Good guy for Oruwariye/Okudah to learn from and compete with. 

Matt Prater, K- Re-signed to a 1 year deal to compete with UDFA K. 

Offense-

QB- Jared Goff/David Blough

RB- D'Andre Swift/Kenyan Drake/Kerryon Johnson

WR- Ja'Marr Chase/Geronimo Allison

LT- Taylor Decker/Tyrell Crosby

LG- Jonah Jackson

C- Frank Ragnow/Evan Brown

RG- Halapoulivaati Vaitai/Logan Stenberg

RT- Dillon Radunz/Matt Nelson

TE- T.J. Hockenson/Hunter Bryant

Slot- Amari Rodgers

WR- Tyrell Williams/Quintez Cephus

Defense-

DE- Shaka Toney/Julian Okwara

DT- Sheldon Rankins/John Penisini/Kevin Strong

DT- Da'Shawn Hand/Marlon Tuipulotu

DE- Trey Flowers/Austin Bryant

LB- Jamie Collins (restructured)/Shaun Dion-Hamilton

LB- Jahlani Tavai

LB- Jabril Cox

CB- Jeff Okudah/Mike Ford

S- Tracy Walker III

S- John Johnson/Will Harris

CB- Amani Oruwariye/Troy Hill

Special Teams-

K- Matt Prater

P- Jack Fox (ERFA)

LS- Don Muhlbach ('FOLYFE)

Obviously, not a superbowl team, but added 3 building blocks in the draft and 1 in free agency. Continue developing young players in a cap strapped season. 

• Like 2

I do love the pairing of Chase and Rodgers. I just don't think Rodgers is going to go that low (I'm expecting he'll be a 2nd-3rd round guy). He's also not a FB type, he has a Deebo Samuel type build and would be that kind of player IMO. He could be very effective as a Golden Tate-esque guy. 

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

I do love the pairing of Chase and Rodgers. I just don't think Rodgers is going to go that low (I'm expecting he'll be a 2nd-3rd round guy). He's also not a FB type, he has a Deebo Samuel type build and would be that kind of player IMO. He could be very effective as a Golden Tate-esque guy. 

We really haven't used a FB in the traditional sense but I think Anthony Lynn can be creative with players and wants to play more physical football which plays to Rodgers skillset. I see him moving around to different roles and being more of a gadget player for us. I have a hard time placing him. I could see him going anywhere from 3rd-5th rd. I'd be surprised if he went later, but it is a deep WR class. 

If Chase is there at 7 he better be the pick.

I like the draft overall. I think what they do in free agency will depend how the $$$$ roll out. They won’t be going after big money players but it’s possible with a reduced cap some mid tier players will be value signings 

I think this is a realistic type outcome. 

Keep in mind that the compensatory pick formula compares players you're signing to players you're losing. If you sign a top FA, it cancels out a top FA you lose. But if you sign a player who was cut, it doesn't count against the formula. Basically, if you want to make sure you get the comp picks for Golladay and Okwara, you shouldn't sign any high-priced FAs. Sign guys who were cut by other teams.

Edited by jrry32

15 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I'm starting to like Chase as my #1 target if we pick at #7, that's assuming the QB's are gone of course

I'm thinking more and more that the top 3 will be gone by #7, if not by original teams than by a trade up. I think Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Sewell will definitely be gone by #7. I thought Chase would be gone by #7 but I'm not so sure with how deep this draft is at WR and looking at team needs of teams before us.

I'm not a big fan of most the players in the top 10 of this draft compared to other drafts. For qb and outside of Lawrence, I'm kind of a fan of Jones, but that's neither here or there for this mock draft. At 7 and your draft, if Chase is there you have to take him unless the staff is high on Jones as well. I like how you took a high round pick on OL. I think this is about as good as it could get for us in the draft without significant moving around. For me, I think the ideal situation would be to move back and gain more draft capital for next year.

Looking at this lineup for next year though...ouch. Although the right way to go, it's going to be one of those years where I spend about 15 minutes watching an entire game on 32x speed. It's not going to be pretty.

Overall I like. I agree with maybe not signing Johnson so we save cap and get a golladay comp pick. So many cuts next week I cant wait!! but yeah crazy to think someone actually had a job putting talent together for this team. THEY FAILED SO BAD lol...

13 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Not a fan of offense at all in any mock.  Just not.

I do like Rodgers at 136.

Also good write up on future value Detroit has in drafts.

I'm not really fan of offense in top 10 either, but who do you see on D who is worth a top 10 pick? Parsons?
I feel like we are almost certain to take on offensive skill position for our 1st unless a trade down happens.