Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

16 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:
31 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No, I said what I said in plain English:

Can you tell me the next variant is going to be as easygoing on the vaccinated? Let's take it a step back - do you know how variants occur?

I do.

So, tell me. How do variants occur? (I'm building towards something, so humor me).

59 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

I ask this sincerely, from the percentafes i can find, the healthcare industries vaccination rate almost mirrors the general population. Is that correct?

No idea, you provided the stat, but I’d imagine so.  That said, there’s a lot to unpack with that.

”healthcare industries” is a broad group of dozens of professions.  Sure there are doctors, pharmacists, etc that have much more education and such, but that’s hardly everyone.

Every hospital is staffed with unit clerks and STNA’s, which have a diploma/GED and a 2-3 week class.

There’s also housekeeping, dietary, etc which have no medical training at all.

Even with nursing, there’s LPN’s (like a year of post secondary education), RN, APRN, etc.. Education level isn’t the same amongst them.

At the top of that list as far as education are the physicians, and they’re vaccinated at roughly a 96% clip.

https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/ama-survey-shows-over-96-doctors-fully-vaccinated-against-covid-19

My point with all of this is that just because someone works in a healthcare doesn’t mean they know wtf they’re talking about.  But by and large those who actually do know, are vaccinated.  And this excludes the obvious politicalization that’s occurred with the vaccine, which has obviously had an impact.

And in my search, a nurses union in ohio is against mandatory vaccination. is it true theres hesitancy in our own healthcare system?

They want the mandate negotiated between the system and the union, because that’s what unions are for.

That said, mandatory vaccines are nothing new and every single hospital employee has had a number of vaccinations already. This may linger until given full FDA approval and not EUA and will then become mandatory I’d imagine.

To your question about hesitancy, of course there is.  Misinformation, political affiliations, etc all play info this. There are healthcare workers who think Tucker Carlson is a news reporter.  There are idiots in every profession.  I’m assuming you can look around your workplace and see someone and wonder how they manage to walk and chew gum at the same time.  Healthcare isn’t excluded from this.  But, like I said, the people who are actually treating patients, prescribing meds, etc., are vaccinated at an exceptionally high rate.

• Like 2

Of course another way to look at the vaccination rates amongst healthcare workers is 50-60% of an already understaffed position are vaccinated, do believe in the science and are becoming increasingly disgruntled with those who aren’t and their willingness to continue to go above and beyond with overtime, extended shifts, unsafe staffing ratios, etc is waning.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

If they did refuse medical care to the unvaccinated I would imagine most unvaccinated people would stop buying health insurance which would cause even more problems.

Lol cutting off their own nose to spite their face would 100% be on brand for them.

Dead or broke definitely beats a vaccine.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Not defending Beasley at all but one thing that bothers me about people is all they do is talk about getting vaccinated and it cures all and no one is talking about getting healthier.  No one is pushing diet and exercise.  It's only the vaccine.  Why can't all three be done together? I can play devil's advocate and say the people that are fat and unhealthy are holding us back.  They are the ones that are dying.  I still see overweight people throwing garbage into their shopping carts.  We are being offered doughnuts and fast food to get the vax.  And no one bats an eye. So for you to be able to call out Beasley, then we should be able to call out all the people living unhealthy lifestyles that won't change.  If this is a serious respiratory problem then why aren't we going after the smokers?

Again, not defending Beasley, just bringing up a point that bothers me.

One is a shot in the arm (twice).

One is a complete overhaul of lifestyle and behaviors, some which have been in place for decades.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't do these things - but when your house is on fire, is it a good time to mention how your sprinkler system could have prevented the fire? 

No, you put out the fire first. Once that's done, sure - let's talk about installing a better sprinkler system and preventing the next fire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol cutting off their own nose to spite their face would 100% be on brand for them.

Dead or broke definitely beats a vaccine.

And that's before we start talking about splitting off separate healthcare policies for vaccinated only (which needs to happen ASAP). Good luck insuring a group keeping the ICUs at capacity 24/7.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Gonna be blunt - I don't believe you.

So, tell me. How do variants occur?

luckily we live in the age of google, so while i could never give you a technical explanation, heres what i read earlier today to get as familiar as i could. again, the ins and out go well over my head but the overarching theme is simple enough. Maybe it can help you too. 

https://now.tufts.edu/articles/how-viruses-mutate-and-create-new-variants

BUt lets get back to that moronic, dumb, just laughably stupid part of my post that you cut out, because.... well why exactly? Heres the highlights, variants are more likely to be less deadly (yes, google tells me this too). We should turn fats (or just as dumb, those unvaccinated with covid) away today even if we have the beds available, because we may need them at some point. you know what, ill just quote it for you again since you cut it out.

But i dont think you understand what Im saying. We may (or may not) need hospital beds in the future. There could be a more severe, deadly variant in our future (although its less likely that variants become more deadly), or heck, we could have a whole new pandemic. Cause you know, it could happen. So regardless if we have beds available, we should start turning away the fatsos now, so that if and when we need those beds, even if its many, many months in the future, we should do so. The fats will either lose weight and get healthier or they dont which is their own fault. 

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And that's before we start talking about splitting off separate healthcare policies for vaccinated only (which needs to happen ASAP). Good luck insuring a group keeping the ICUs at capacity 24/7.

Oh it could definitely happen.

Health insurers and ASO employers aren’t gonna keep footing astronomical  hospital bills for preventable issues.

For those who don’t know, an ICU bed was 6-7k per night when I worked bedside, and that was almost 7 years ago. That doesn’t include, meds, tests, procedures, etc.  Just the bed and nursing services.

2-3 weeks in an icu can easily be a six figure bill.

The private sector will push vaccines if people choose not to get them because it’s costing them a lot of money.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No idea, you provided the stat, but I’d imagine so.  That said, there’s a lot to unpack with that.

”healthcare industries” is a broad group of dozens of professions.  Sure there are doctors, pharmacists, etc that have much more education and such, but that’s hardly everyone.

Every hospital is staffed with unit clerks and STNA’s, which have a diploma/GED and a 2-3 week class.

There’s also housekeeping, dietary, etc which have no medical training at all.

Even with nursing, there’s LPN’s (like a year of post secondary education), RN, APRN, etc.. Education level isn’t the same amongst them.

At the top of that list as far as education are the physicians, and they’re vaccinated at roughly a 96% clip.

https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/ama-survey-shows-over-96-doctors-fully-vaccinated-against-covid-19

My point with all of this is that just because someone works in a healthcare doesn’t mean they know wtf they’re talking about.  But by and large those who actually do know, are vaccinated.  And this excludes the obvious politicalization that’s occurred with the vaccine, which has obviously had an impact.

They want the mandate negotiated between the system and the union, because that’s what unions are for.

That said, mandatory vaccines are nothing new and every single hospital employee has had a number of vaccinations already. This may linger until given full FDA approval and not EUA and will then become mandatory I’d imagine.

To your question about hesitancy, of course there is.  Misinformation, political affiliations, etc all play info this. There are healthcare workers who think Tucker Carlson is a news reporter.  There are idiots in every profession.  I’m assuming you can look around your workplace and see someone and wonder how they manage to walk and chew gum at the same time.  Healthcare isn’t excluded from this.  But, like I said, the people who are actually treating patients, prescribing meds, etc., are vaccinated at an exceptionally high rate.

yup, i saw the same stat about physicians which is fantastic. heres where i saw it, and in the next sentence she claims less than 50% of nurses are vaccinated which is shocking. If thats true, and hopefully even if it was at the time (5 weeks ag), many more have gotten the vaccination. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2021/06/28/covid19-vaccination-rates-are-poor-among-healthcare-workershow-can-we-do-better/?sh=1d44dc82589e

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

One is a shot in the arm (twice).

One is a complete overhaul of lifestyle and behaviors, some which have been in place for decades.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't do these things - but when your house is on fire, is it a good time to mention how your sprinkler system could have prevented the fire? 

No, you put out the fire first. Once that's done, sure - let's talk about installing a better sprinkler system and preventing the next fire.

This, 100%.

Literally no one is saying not to eat better and exercise.  This is common knowledge and universally excepted by everyone except people who think the heart is like a battery and only has so many beats in it.  (You know what genius I’m referring to).  People don’t debate this, they just don’t put it into practice day in, days out for years, even if they are well meaning.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

yup, i saw the same stat about physicians which is fantastic. heres where i saw it, and in the next sentence she claims less than 50% of nurses are vaccinated which is shocking. If thats true, and hopefully even if it was at the time (5 weeks ag), many more have gotten the vaccination. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judystone/2021/06/28/covid19-vaccination-rates-are-poor-among-healthcare-workershow-can-we-do-better/?sh=1d44dc82589e

Yes, it’s pathetic. 

And again, there’s a broad range of nursing professions and education levels too.  That could be a 1 year vocational certificate (LPN) an RN with an ADN, a BSN or an APRN (masters prepared).  But they’re also commonly lumped in together as just “nurses”.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This, 100%.

Literally no one is saying not to eat better and exercise.  This is common knowledge and universally excepted by everyone except people who think the heart is like a battery and only has so many beats in it.  (You know what genius I’m referring to).  People don’t debate this, they just don’t put it into practice day in, days out for years, even if they are well meaning.

Maybe we should say eat better and exercise louder? Maybe yell it even? We dont seem to have a very effective message for it, and heart disease is the long time reigning champ for cause of death in the US. but back to covid, where we may not have been hit quite as hard if we werent so unhealthy as a country.

44 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Why? Because the quickest way for this pandemic to be over is for everyone (barring medical reasons) to get vaccinated. The other things you mentioned are long term solutions that should be mentioned but don’t immediately resolve the issue at hand. Priority #1 is getting vaccinated. 

How does it not immediately resolve the issue?  Everyone who is dying are unhealthy with comorbodities, old people who were going to die anyway or obese people. The way you talk is vaccines are the only thing that matter not getting healthy. 

You do things like drop 5% body fat, get your blood sugars below diabetic levels, get Vitamin D levels up over 60 and we can get this moving along too. It shouldn’t be taken lightly like the entire forum here does. A bunch of fat football fans. 

2 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Maybe we should say eat better and exercise louder? Maybe yell it even? We dont seem to have a very effective message for it, and heart disease is the long time reigning champ for cause of death in the US. but back to covid, where we may not have been hit quite as hard if we werent so unhealthy as a country.

Again, it’s not a lack of information or an issue with misinformation, it’s a matter of being healthy and fit is a day in, day out commitment many people don’t make for a number of reasons.

I hear all the time “my doctor just wants to put me on meds, they don’t want to teach me how to fix my issues with diet and exercise”. The fact of the matter is the info is readily available.  Start moving and stop eating is the tl;dr version.  Buuuuuuuttttttt…… it’s a lot easier and physicians get greater compliance with a daily pill that a prescription of “30 min of moderate intensity cardio, cut the baked goods and refined carbs almost completely, eat hella veggies and don’t drink”.

The correct answer isn’t one or the other, it’s both.  Get the vaccine/mask AND improve your fitness. One is substantially easier though.

• Like 4