Miami Dolphins Free Agency Thread

Emerica

The cutting of Kyle Van Noy, his release I believe stumped most of us, at the time the only thing I could thing of is the need/want to make cap space yet teams can creatively make space in other ways. However this has occurred to me and it is purely speculation, perhaps he was the main player behind the alleged Tua "controversy" in the locker room. IF this is true, as a team leader, and Tua is the franchise QB I can see how that might be the catalyst for the organization to make this move. I can see how Van Noy might have the criticism he did as well, playing his entire career with  Matt Stafford, Tom Brady then half a season with Fitz (who was definitely more polished at the time). The guy is used to strong QB play, remember Fitz was playing great when the change was made.   

Obviously its over and done, and this is beating a dead horse, but from a place of trying to make sense of the move this at least provides me an explanation that is palatable.  

Edited by Phinsesq
accidentally left out Stafford
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While technically not  2021 Free Agent's ( potential 2022 Free Agents ), I would really like to see our Front Office make a play for a couple of players that could be on the way out from their current teams ( additionally, we are 4th in the league right now in 2022 Cap room with over $63M available )

LB Leighton Van Der Esch Cowboys;  Cowboys drafted 2 LB's in 2021 ( Parsons and Cox ) and will not have the Cap room to re-sign Van Der Esch in 2022.  Perhaps we could throw them a 2022 5th round pick for him ( we have two 4th rounders, 1 5th, and 2 6th's ).  He has been a top 100 NFL player and is only 26 yrs old, and despite coming off of neck surgery for Stenosis he still had a solid season with 10 games, 57 tackles, 1 sack, 1 forced fumble.

#74: Leighton Vander Esch (OLB, Cowboys) | Top 100 Players of 2019 | NFL - YouTube

RB Marlon Mack Colts;  With the productive play of Johnathan Taylor and Mack's injury ( achilles tendon tear ) plus the presence of RB Achiem Hines, Mack is likely expendable for a 6th or 7th round pick or perhaps even a player  such as DT Benito Jones ( who will be a Dolphins 2022 FA ).  Mack will be 26 yrs old, is from South Florida, and rushed for over 1k yards in 2019 with a 4.4 ypa.  

Marlon Mack 2019 Colts Highlights - YouTube

OG Nate Herbig Eagles;  Why would the Eagles let go of a top 15 rated OG that is only 23 yrs old?  They are a bit strapped for Cap room and they will presumably covet 2022 draft capital for a move up to land a QB.  He was an undrafted free agent in 2019 so could possibly be attained with a 2022 4th or perhaps even a 3rd round pick.  That may sound like a lot to some, but he is a very young known commodity that PFF rated as the 13th best player at his position (LG) last season.  He is versatile with experience at LG, RG, and has the capability to be a starting C going forward, and is a scheme fit playing his best in a power / gap scheme.  He would be an immediate upgrade over Kindley at LG in 2021 and could move to Center in 2022 and beyond which would give Kindley 1 more year to prepare to be a starting LG for 2022 and beyond.

Nate Herbig vs Rams - YouTube

Edited by Swampbilly

I don't think the Cowboys have any interest in moving on from LVE.  They want to get rid of Jaylon Smith, who has the dreaded combination of high cap hit and poor on-field production.  

Mack doesn't move the needle for me.  I'm not against a RB upgrade at all, but Mack isn't the type of game-changer that would warrant spending any future assets on.

If Herbig can play C, I would welcome this one.  If not, then just roll with Jackson/Kindley/Skura/Hunt/Eichenberg with Davis/Fluker/etc as the depth and backup plans in case one of the youngsters falls flat.  

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I don't think the Cowboys have any interest in moving on from LVE.  They want to get rid of Jaylon Smith, who has the dreaded combination of high cap hit and poor on-field production.  

Mack doesn't move the needle for me.  I'm not against a RB upgrade at all, but Mack isn't the type of game-changer that would warrant spending any future assets on.

If Herbig can play C, I would welcome this one.  If not, then just roll with Jackson/Kindley/Skura/Hunt/Eichenberg with Davis/Fluker/etc as the depth and backup plans in case one of the youngsters falls flat.  

Cowboys didn't pick up LVE's 5th year option, so until they have a deal in place with a team for Jaylon Smith to clear the Cap for LVE then LVE is the odd man out.

A 7th to kick the tires on Mack is worth it IMO.  He isn't a game changer but if he returns to his 2019 form he would be an upgrade over any RB on our roster.

The Eagles plan for Herbig was for him to transition to Center, but his performance last season at OG and their Cap status could put him out of their price range.  Maybe Kindley will step up this season, but if not we can't depend on him being a starter worthy OG.  He made the starting lineup on an abysmal OLine last season, but he didn't look good on any consistent basis.

Edited by Swampbilly

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I mostly agree with you on things, but you're out there on this one LOL.  Smith had 152 tackles last season, 5 pass def, 1 INT, 1.5 sacks.  His only season under 100 tackles was 2017. His 2020 Cap hit was under $6Mil, and he made the Pro Bowl.  Cowboys are keeping that type of production.  LVE is a gonner IMO.

Edited by Swampbilly

On 6/2/2021 at 2:01 PM, Swampbilly said:

I mostly agree with you on things, but you're out there on this one LOL.  Smith had 152 tackles last season, 5 pass def, 1 INT, 1.5 sacks.  His only season under 100 tackles was 2017. His 2020 Cap hit was under $6Mil, and he made the Pro Bowl.  Cowboys are keeping that type of production.  LVE is a gonner IMO.

Tackle stats are borderline worthless. Go check out what he did in the pass game.  He was routinely roasted.  Venture over to the Dallas forum to find out how bad he was.

On 6/4/2021 at 1:12 PM, hrubes20 said:

Tackle stats are borderline worthless. Go check out what he did in the pass game.  He was routinely roasted.  Venture over to the Dallas forum to find out how bad he was.

The entire Cobwoys Defense was bad.  I don't feel tackle stats are worthless but I understand they certainly don't tell the whole story......Nevertheless they are indicative of LB production and your statement was about Smith having poor production.  I will decline to view the Cowboys forum because Fanatics are often blinded by their passion / rage LOL.......just observe all the Aaron Rogers HATE in the Packers forum ( even before he demanded a trade ).

Overall I understand that despite having a ton of tackles and making the Pro Bowl that Smith didn't have an amazing year and is overrated.  He still had a better year than LVE and doesn't have the dreaded Cervical Spinal Stenosis that will cut short his career that LVE has.  Again, the Cowboys declined to pick up LVE's 5th year option, so perhaps they plan to bring back LVE long term for a cheaper amount than the 5th year option sum but I doubt that's the case.  Despite Smith's performance I don't expect to see LVE on the Cowboys roster for 2022.

I think Smith and LVE are both outstanding LB's as long as they are placed in the proper scheme and used correctly.

edit: appears the Cowboys have had calls from teams inquiring about trades for both players 

Cowboys trade rumors: Leighton Vander Esch, Jaylon Smith have both garnered interest from teams in 2021 (msn.com)

Edited by Swampbilly
update