Chiefs sign G Joe Thuney

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I've been thinking about this lately as well. I can see Veach getting aggressive for one of the premier LTs coming out

I’m thinking a small jump for a guy like Jalen Mayfield, he looks like a good fit for the offense.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Mahomes can win us a game with a bad pass rush, he can’t with a horribly depleted OL. Especially the tackle position where we’ve got nobody but unproven talent or free agent bottom barrel. 

He won a ton of games with bottom barrel FA’s at FA.  I think people are freaking out because of one game where we were forced to start Remmers and Wylie.  If you think about it,  at the start of the season with no opt outs,  that’s our 4th and probably 6th option at Tackle.    I can almost guarantee no one has 6 players capable of playing Tackle at a level to compete with Tampa Bay’s edges.   

Again I think it’s an issue,  I’ve said all season(heck for 2 years now) that it needs addressed heavy in the draft...  but I also think people are overreacting to a game where anybody would have struggled playing with a 4th-6th string.    We don’t need top tier players to fix issues with Mahomes

On 3/15/2021 at 4:23 PM, KC_Guy said:

Thuney at LG, Allegretti at C, any mix of LDT, Durant and potentially Wylie at RG? Could be an option.

Nope. Wylie doesn't grade well at RG and was so much better at LG in 2019. Tardif wanted to play end of last season so he'll be back at RG.

I'd try moving Thuney to LT with draft on LT. He can sit out a year or move to starting some time during year. (there are few I'd trust to start right out. i don't want a project protecting Mahomes.) Then, move Thuney back to LG in 2022 and Wylie can backup.

If we can get Cosmi or better then Thuney stays at LG and Wylie swing guards at backup.

Prefer LT Cosmi, LG Thuney, C Allegretti, RG Tardif, RT Niang/Remmers

But would be fine with LT Thuney, LG Wylie, C Allegretti, RG Tardiff RT Niang/Remmers

I'd let Thuney and Allegretti know if the latter because they'd need to train their body differently so sooner the better.

Remmers graded better than Thuney (2020) and Wylie (2019) at LG. We could also start Remmers at RT and Niang can swing tackles. I think he's a must resign to at least backup LG, RG, RT. If we draft LT then Wylie can backup guard spots. I'd want a C/G backup (Dalman 4th-5th) and a swing tackle like Beachum from AZ and we've got some good depth at low cost. Drafting to take it deeper. Veach will prob find more value for depth.

May be better

Cosmi, Niang, Thuney

Thuney, Wylie, Remmers

Allegretii, fa Mack/draft

Tardif, Wyliie/Remmers/ Mack/Draft

Remmers/ Niang, Rankin

Edited by odendin

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

I’m thinking a small jump for a guy like Jalen Mayfield, he looks like a good fit for the offense.

I really like Mayfield, but I'd wait for whoever. (I think Eichenberg will fall to us). We need to keep our draft capital. We gotta lot of work to do.

5 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I've been thinking about this lately as well. I can see Veach getting aggressive for one of the premier LTs coming out

I think the opposite. They are expecting new players at LT and C, so they put a battle tested veteran between them. Now we really have a logjam at OG. Hopefully at least one can play C. 

4 hours ago, odendin said:

Nope. Wylie doesn't grade well at RG and was so much better at LG in 2019. Tardif wanted to play end of last season so he'll be back at RG.

I'd try moving Thuney to LT with draft on LT. He can sit out a year or move to starting some time during year. (there are few I'd trust to start right out. i don't want a project protecting Mahomes.) Then, move Thuney back to LG in 2022 and Wylie can backup.

If we can get Cosmi or better then Thuney stays at LG and Wylie swing guards at backup.

Prefer LT Cosmi, LG Thuney, C Allegretti, RG Tardif, RT Niang/Remmers

But would be fine with LT Thuney, LG Wylie, C Allegretti, RG Tardiff RT Niang/Remmers

I'd let Thuney and Allegretti know if the latter because they'd need to train their body differently so sooner the better.

Remmers graded better than Thuney (2020) and Wylie (2019) at LG. We could also start Remmers at RT and Niang can swing tackles. I think he's a must resign to at least backup LG, RG, RT. If we draft LT then Wylie can backup guard spots. I'd want a C/G backup (Dalman 4th-5th) and a swing tackle like Beachum from AZ and we've got some good depth at low cost. Drafting to take it deeper. Veach will prob find more value for depth.

May be better

Cosmi, Niang, Thuney

Thuney, Wylie, Remmers

Allegretii, fa Mack/draft

Tardif, Wyliie/Remmers/ Mack/Draft

Remmers/ Niang, Rankin

I am still unconvinced that the team plans on Niang at RT. It's his college position and the public video is all set from a RT perspective, but Niang has all the physical tools of an elite LT and has been in tailored coaching for several months now. It's clear the team sees him as a starter, but not where. The signing of Thuney may be at least in part to buffer his inexperience on the left side. Thuney is an elite pass blocker, which Remmers is not. 

Ideally, Remmers backs up three players. If he has to play LT, he's overmatched. However, he can play a reasonable RT for a couple of months while a rookie learns the ropes. He's not Schwartz, but he doesn't embarrass himself. 

The real question mark is at C. Is Allegretti penciled for that spot? He played it in college and has the whole offseason to prepare. Is Thuney an option? Do they plan to hire a FA? Do they plan to rely on the draft? Do they plan to throw players at the position and hope one sticks? Is there a plan A, or are they still hoping something develops? 

The signing of Thuney means that at least a few players will not survive camp. Wylie is likely toast. Rankin is probably on his last shot. LDT may have to win his position back just to make the roster. We had the most depth at OG. Now we have another player at he front of the depth chart. heads will roll.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

5 hours ago, samsel23 said:

He won a ton of games with bottom barrel FA’s at FA.  I think people are freaking out because of one game where we were forced to start Remmers and Wylie.  If you think about it,  at the start of the season with no opt outs,  that’s our 4th and probably 6th option at Tackle.    I can almost guarantee no one has 6 players capable of playing Tackle at a level to compete with Tampa Bay’s edges.   

Again I think it’s an issue,  I’ve said all season(heck for 2 years now) that it needs addressed heavy in the draft...  but I also think people are overreacting to a game where anybody would have struggled playing with a 4th-6th string.    We don’t need top tier players to fix issues with Mahomes

That’s the problem, they said the same thing about Andrew Luck. “We can let the OL deteriorate, Luck is so good he doesn’t need top tier talent” all of a sudden the guy is retiring at 30 because the hits he took early in his career ruined him. 

Mahomes is a beast I agree, but this is two years in a row now where he’s had an injury concern because he was running for his life per usual and somebody smashed him. Yeah he can make great plays on the run, but now it is getting excessive.

Right now we’re down to 4th and 6th options at OT, it’s like the SB but for a whole season. We need 1st stringers ASAP.

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

I really like Mayfield, but I'd wait for whoever. (I think Eichenberg will fall to us). We need to keep our draft capital. We gotta lot of work to do.

I mean yeah you or me that makes sense. But this is Brett Veach we’re talking about, he wanted to trade up to number one overall for Mahomes. Will he hold back and watch a guy he likes get drafted before he can get there? Especially with the inherent need at Tackle, idk. Anything is possible 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I am still unconvinced that the team plans on Niang at RT. It's his college position and the public video is all set from a RT perspective, but Niang has all the physical tools of an elite LT and has been in tailored coaching for several months now. It's clear the team sees him as a starter, but not where. The signing of Thuney may be at least in part to buffer his inexperience on the left side. Thuney is an elite pass blocker, which Remmers is not.

"Niang should be the favorite to lock down the right tackle position in place of Mitchell Schwartz. Our friends over at Touchdown Wire also agree with that assessment. Really, it’s Niang’s training with BX Movement that tipped us off, as his taped work has predominately been on the right side. There’s also his ability to speak fluent french that will give him instant chemistry with another returning player, right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif."

Niang worked with BX Movement throughout the season.

I think I'm going to plan RT Niang. It's possible KC released Fisher because they like the tape but I think you invest a 1st on Justin Case because we can't have another out of position lineman playing LT. He's still NFL untested.

8 hours ago, odendin said:

"Niang should be the favorite to lock down the right tackle position in place of Mitchell Schwartz. Our friends over at Touchdown Wire also agree with that assessment. Really, it’s Niang’s training with BX Movement that tipped us off, as his taped work has predominately been on the right side. There’s also his ability to speak fluent french that will give him instant chemistry with another returning player, right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif."

Niang worked with BX Movement throughout the season.

I think I'm going to plan RT Niang. It's possible KC released Fisher because they like the tape but I think you invest a 1st on Justin Case because we can't have another out of position lineman playing LT. He's still NFL untested.

I have seen all this and I agree with most of the premises, I even posted some BX video, but I'm not convinced. Working Niang up as a LT is exactly the sort of thing the team would keep secret if possible. The key is that there is no reason, of which I am aware, why he could not be LT. He has the physical tools, the BX Movement trainer, and an awareness of the roster situation. Even if he just started working on LT today, that gives him a solid foundation for mini-camp and beyond. Moreover, the trainer will give the FO a good feel for his potential.

I have no issue planning with Niang as RT. All the world thinks that is reasonable. I just say, hedge your bets. At the very least, it's a viable fallback position.

In other news, Trent Williams re-signs with SF and the Chiefs tender Wylie, likely the minimum tender. Trent Williams was a nice speculation, but only that. Wylie has been versatile and loyal, so I hope to see him back. 

Edited by onejayhawk

12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Mahomes predated Veach, who came on in July after Mahomes was drafted in April.

J

Veach was pushing for him for almost a year before the draft. He was pushing everybody in the room to trade up, didn’t want to wait, thought we should jump up to the top 5 in the draft to get him.

Dorsey said no and waited till he got a better deal at 10th overall 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I'm standing by my opinion that we draft at least 2 OT's quickly in the upcoming Draft. We need a LT and backup to both starters. OT's in house leave much to be desired.

Remmers, if he re-signs, is a perfectly acceptable backup. We have a project OT in Prince Tega Wanogho. So, what we really need is a starting LT. After the big three, I see exactly one ready-to-play LT in the whole draft pool, and about three more who might be ready to start this year. BTW, none of them are named Radunz.

J