2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

7 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

^I don't think it's easier for small guys to break down defenses. In fact I think it's easier for Kawhi to defend Westbrook than it is LeBron. LeBron might have trouble beating Avery Bradley off the dribble, but it would never be a factor because that would never be a matchup for obvious reasons.

Neither dude player going one on one against Kawhi is gonna be good offense. There is a reason the assists leaders are always dudes under 6'5''. Magic and Wilt are probably the only big dudes ever to lead the league in assists (and Wilt really doesn't count because he could do whatever he wanted when he played). How many times has Bron ever even finished in the top 5/10 in assists?  Probably 3 and the dude has played with the best shooting team ever last year and maybe the year before in two of those examples. And he is by far the biggest outlier since Magic. 

I think the quickness and ball-handling of smaller guys allows them to get defenses out of position more easily than even a guy like Bron. But with Bron even if you are in position it doesn't matter most of the time. Also Bron is a better shooter than Wall/RW so he has that advantage to get defense out of position and he still doesn't get close to their assists #s. And CP3 is kind of super nonathletic and he would put up better assists #s in his sleep than Bron. Bron has a skill or athleticism advantage over every PG and just because he is big it is harder for him to maneuver the court.

I don't think Giannis is any where near Bron or Simmons as playmakers/passers either so that is really only two players.

I have been going in and out of writing this and watching my nieces/nephews (there should be a word that combines both of those words) so this probably rambling .

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nothing........

Sabonis is killing at C, but was used as a PF last year.

Dipo hasn't ever been this good. Could be he just found the perfect spot/opportunity.

Harden is Harden. Of course he was going to be much better as the primary option instead of being the 6th man.

Durant was a monster with and without OKC. 

I'm not talking about Harden and Durant.  I'm just talking about since the beginning of last season.

Victor Oladipo
Domantas Sabonis
Enes Kanter
Ersan Illyasova
Doug McDermott

Neither dude player going one on one against Kawhi is gonna be good offense. There is a reason the assists leaders are always dudes under 6'5''. Magic and Wilt are probably the only big dudes ever to lead the league in assists (and Wilt really doesn't count because he could do whatever he wanted when he played). How many times has Bron ever even finished in the top 5/10 in assists? Probably 3 and the dude has played with the best shooting team ever last year and maybe the year before in two of those examples. And he is by far the biggest outlier since Magic.

I think the quickness and ball-handling of smaller guys allows them to get defenses out of position more easily than even a guy like Bron. But with Bron even if you are in position it doesn't matter most of the time. Also Bron is a better shooter than Wall/RW so he has that advantage to get defense out of position and he still doesn't get close to their assists #s. And CP3 is kind of super nonathletic and he would put up better assists #s in his sleep than Bron. Bron has a skill or athleticism advantage over every PG and just because he is big it is harder for him to maneuver the court.

I don't think Giannis is any where near Bron or Simmons as playmakers/passers either so that is really only two players.

I have been going in and out of writing this and watching my nieces/nephews (there should be a word that combines both of those words) so this probably rambling .

I mean what you say isn't inaccurate, I just don't think it's relevant. My whole point going back years ago is the position is pretty much irrelevant. Assist number don't really mean anything by themselves. I think LeBron is a better PG than anyone else in the league because he makes the best decisions with the basketball, whether that's a pass or a shot. At the end of the day that's what matters. You want a player who can generate high quality shots for himself and then for others, and can do it consistently against the best defenses. That's Shaq, Jordan, LeBron, Duncan etc. If you're gonna have a high volume player, if he can't do that you're not winning anything, and little guys with very few exceptions struggle to do that against elite defenses. The only other way is be like the 04 Pistons.

39 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Guys like Wall and Lillard will never win anything because at the end of the day they dominate the ball as much as LeBron but produce a fraction of what LeBron does.

I think it is more to do with the fact that their teams aren't good enough around them and they also aren't the best players ever. They could definitely win a title in the right situation, maybe even as the best player. Bron has only won three, it is kinda hard to do.

I think it is more to do with the fact that their teams aren't good enough around them and they also aren't the best players ever. They could definitely win a title in the right situation, maybe even as the best player. Bron has only won three, it is kinda hard to do.

I think they only win a title in a reduced role or if the league changes to the point where the best players they're competing with are similar to them. Parker on the Spurs is the only way these guys win titles. Other positions are just better at generating high quality shots against elite defense, it's harder for little shrimps.

12 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

My whole point going back years ago is the position is pretty much irrelevant.

Steph Curry just won two championships as the best player on his team as a PG.

17 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I think LeBron is a better PG than anyone else in the league because he makes the best decisions with the basketball, whether that's a pass or a shot.

See I don't know what we are talking about now. I thought we talking about getting rid of little guys. My basic point is that the PG skillset is super valuable and tends to favor little guys possessing that ability just because of size so I didn't think little guys are going away ever. Boris Diaw and Kyle Anderson are just good as passers as Lebron, they just have no where near the athleticism/skillset for it to matter. I'm not sure what that last sentence has to do with anything but pretty sure there was a point in my mind that was supposed to back up.

31 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I mean what you say isn't inaccurate, I just don't think it's relevant. My whole point going back years ago is the position is pretty much irrelevant. Assist number don't really mean anything by themselves. I think LeBron is a better PG than anyone else in the league because he makes the best decisions with the basketball, whether that's a pass or a shot. At the end of the day that's what matters. You want a player who can generate high quality shots for himself and then for others, and can do it consistently against the best defenses. That's Shaq, Jordan, LeBron, Duncan etc. If you're gonna have a high volume player, if he can't do that you're not winning anything, and little guys with very few exceptions struggle to do that against elite defenses. The only other way is be like the 04 Pistons.

Lebron turns the ball over wayyyyy too much to be the best PG in the league. 

^I mentioned Curry as an exception because of his shooting. He and Magic are the only exceptions.

See I don't know what we are talking about now. I thought we talking about getting rid of little guys. My basic point is that the PG skillset is super valuable and tends to favor little guys possessing that ability just because of size so I didn't think little guys are going away ever. Boris Diaw and Kyle Anderson are just good as passers as Lebron, they just have no where near the athleticism/skillset for it to matter. I'm not sure what that last sentence has to do with anything but pretty sure there was a point in my mind that was supposed to back up.

Yea, the skillest is super valuable, my initial post is asking if there are more players with that skillset in superior frames, would small guys with the skillset slowly get pushed out of the league given how the league has evolved and pushed out certain type of players? I said it was a longshot, but was just curious what people thought.

31 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I think LeBron is a better PG than anyone else in the league because he makes the best decisions with the basketball, whether that's a pass or a shot.

last thing about this. There is no way Lebron wins his last ring without Kyrie. They couldn't guard him because his quickness and ballhandling advantage over the bigger players that were guarding him. He was just as important offensively as Lebron and I think Isaiah will be as well if they have any shot to win.

28 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm not talking about Harden and Durant.  I'm just talking about since the beginning of last season.

Victor Oladipo
Domantas Sabonis
Enes Kanter
Ersan Illyasova
Doug McDermott

Illyasova played a grand total of THREE games with Westbrook. Of course getting more playing time he will put up better stats.

Kanter is the same guy he has always been. Nothing has changed with him.

Sabonis is playing C unlike last year and is no longer a rookie.

Did Dipo play like this during his Magic days?

McDermott is essentially the same player. But him more than anyone on the list could have been affected by Westbrook.

Westbrook like any ball dominant PG will make you adjust your game a bit, but it isn't all that different from guys like LeBron either. 

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

^I think Kidd-type PG is the only one that can survive. Basically a lower volume ball mover who makes good decisions and can shoot the ball 5 times or 20 times depending on what the team needs. High volume PGs have never made any championship impact in the NBA since Magic. Curry is the only exception and anyone who could shoot the way he can will be an exception at any position. Guys like Wall and Lillard will never win anything because at the end of the day they dominate the ball as much as LeBron but produce a fraction of what LeBron does.

Thats why I think the Lonzo Ball hype is funny.  I see a lot of randos (not here) talking about Lonzo being the next superstar like Curry if he gets a feel for his shot.  But to me Lonzo's best bet is to become one of those elite role-players where he plays good team defense keeps the ball moving and keeps his shots down.  He could be special in that way but not special in the way that you go to Lonzo to get a bucket himself when you need it.

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Illyasova played a grand total of THREE games with Westbrook. Of course getting more playing time he will put up better stats.

Kanter is the same guy he has always been. Nothing has changed with him.

Sabonis is playing C unlike last year and is no longer a rookie.

Did Dipo play like this during his Magic days?

McDermott is essentially the same player. But him more than anyone on the list could have been affected by Westbrook.

Westbrook like any ball dominant PG will make you adjust your game a bit, but it isn't all that different from guys like LeBron either. 

You're crazy! It's shown that he's made them worse. Maybe it's coaching! But Sabonis was used as a spot up shooter for no reason!

he was roaming the perimeter instead of eating in the paint. Dude is a monsters crashing the boards.. you can't compare Rw impact to Lebron... He neutered them in worse ways than Lebron does his teammates. 

Archived