2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

Looking back at it, overall the Cavs had a two year window to win a title (that window closed when Durant made the move and they failed to hire a real coach, with the latter maybe not even mattering) and they won once. That's great for any team, especially a team that has never won one.

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

I literally see 7 teams that can beat the cavs in a 7 game playoff series.

warriors

rockets

spurs

thunder

wolves

celtics

raptors

Assuming they carry over their current play into the postseason. They did not do that last year and played much better in the postseason when people doubted them, even though things weren't as bad as this year but worse than the year before. It's all a matter of whether you believe they can do it again when postseason begins.

2 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I literally see 7 teams that can beat the cavs in a 7 game playoff series.

warriors

rockets

spurs

thunder

wolves

celtics

raptors

I could easily see the Bucks beating them if Parker acclimates after coming back from injury.

1 minute ago, Mossburg said:

Assuming they carry over their current play into the postseason. They did not do that last year and played much better in the postseason when people doubted them, even though things weren't as bad as this year but worse than the year before. It's all a matter of whether you believe they can do it again when postseason begins.

If they carry over their current play then they'd get beat in the 1st round.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

If they carry over their current play then they'd get beat in the 1st round.

True, but I mean their current play as of the entire season, which is what their record is and is the average of a lot of slumping and some good play in the middle. Their current CURRENT play extrapolated across the season they might not even be a playoff team lol.

Shabazz Napier's player should make CJ McCollum available.  Portland should be quietly shopping him to see what kind of package they could get.  They need a jolt and I think everyone would agree Lillard and CJ together aren't going to get them too far in the West.

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Shabazz Napier's player should make CJ McCollum available.  Portland should be quietly shopping him to see what kind of package they could get.  They need a jolt and I think everyone would agree Lillard and CJ together aren't going to get them too far in the West.

I'm not ready to say those two can't get them far in the West. With the current roster? Sure, but they need to make some upgrades at SF and PF. Who exactly could they get for CJ that will make them a contender? 

40 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You aren't trading Shumpert, Thompson, or Smith without getting back bad contracts as well or attaching assets to them.  You are stuck with those 3.

My point/core principle remains the same though.

34 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Looking back at it, overall the Cavs had a two year window to win a title (that window closed when Durant made the move and they failed to hire a real coach, with the latter maybe not even mattering) and they won once. That's great for any team, especially a team that has never won one.

Oh absolutely! I'd go back and do it all again for one title. Almost anyone would. That said, I'd go full firesale mode now and try to rebuild, especially in Cleveland. This isn't a big market/appealing free agent destination, even with the best player on the planet.

31 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

True, but I mean their current play as of the entire season, which is what their record is and is the average of a lot of slumping and some good play in the middle. Their current CURRENT play extrapolated across the season they might not even be a playoff team lol.

It’s honestly quite pathetic the way we’re playing defense right now. Literally nobody cares right now including Lebron. It’s almost like we’re seeing the same gave up Lebron we saw in the bahstahn playoff series before he left. 

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not ready to say those two can't get them far in the West. With the current roster? Sure, but they need to make some upgrades at SF and PF. Who exactly could they get for CJ that will make them a contender? 

No idea, that's why I said quietly shop and see what's available.  Don't trade him just to trade him, but see what could happen.

The problem with upgrading those positions is...they don't have any good tradeable assets besides McCollum and Lillard.  Maybe Zach Collins + 1st round pick + Evan Turner could get back a solid SF or PF that fits with Lillard-McCollum, but that seems more unlikely.

We've seen a bunch of star level players traded in the last year, including some surprises.  Kick the tires and see what you could get.  If nothing entices them, then keep chugging along.

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

And teams like the Cavs that go all in and ignore the future usually have small windows. They rather re-sign veteran players that give them a chance to win now, but eventually those veteran players become useless. They had a good run at it, and still may make the finals with a few tweaks to the roster. What sucks is they gave up on a guy who would have been the future in Kyrie once LeBron left or retired. 

Archived