Bears sign Andy Dalton

beardown3231

4 hours ago, dafreak said:

Chances are Dalton has one of the best statistical years at QB as any Bear in history...The bar isnt that high...

3800 yards and change is the most yardage any Bears QB has ever passed for and that was Erik Kramer around 1996-97.  So yeah, the bar isn't set very high at all.  Cutler also had one year of 3800 plus yards.

I was actually one who was in favor of getting Dalton last year when Pace got nervous and jumped on his trade for Foles.  Had to talk myself into believing it might actually work but I was wrong.  Whatever magic Nick once had is all but gone now.

Dalton's career stats as far as cmp %, td/int ratio, ypa aren't all that much different than Trubisky's but he does have an edge as far as experience and I doubt he'll struggle as much with reading defenses and decision making so I see him as slightly better.

Dalton has a chance of becoming a difference maker in this offense provided Nagy and his guy can do a far better job of scheming it and calling plays.  We keep hearing how Mitch's ability or lack thereof limited what Nagy could use out of his massive playbook. 

I'm not entirely convinced of that but I guess we'll find out.  What continues to gall me is that he refuses to give up calling plays when he's never shown any real genius for it even when he was at KC.  Andy Reid typically called plays himself. That pisses me off.

On 4/7/2021 at 2:31 AM, soulman said:

3800 yards and change is the most yardage any Bears QB has ever passed for and that was Erik Kramer around 1996-97.  So yeah, the bar isn't set very high at all.  Cutler also had one year of 3800 plus yards.

I was actually one who was in favor of getting Dalton last year when Pace got nervous and jumped on his trade for Foles.  Had to talk myself into believing it might actually work but I was wrong.  Whatever magic Nick once had is all but gone now.

Dalton's career stats as far as cmp %, td/int ratio, ypa aren't all that much different than Trubisky's but he does have an edge as far as experience and I doubt he'll struggle as much with reading defenses and decision making so I see him as slightly better.

Dalton has a chance of becoming a difference maker in this offense provided Nagy and his guy can do a far better job of scheming it and calling plays.  We keep hearing how Mitch's ability or lack thereof limited what Nagy could use out of his massive playbook. 

I'm not entirely convinced of that but I guess we'll find out.  What continues to gall me is that he refuses to give up calling plays when he's never shown any real genius for it even when he was at KC.  Andy Reid typically called plays himself. That pisses me off.

I was thinking the same but then I realized that Nagy calling plays this year might be for the best because now that Mitch is gone he will have no more excuses now if the offense sucks.

We will have a pretty good idea after 2021 if Nagy is a fraud or if he is legit and warrants more time as HC of this team

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I was thinking the same but then I realized that Nagy calling plays this year might be for the best because now that Mitch is gone he will have no more excuses now if the offense sucks.

We will have a pretty good idea after 2021 if Nagy is a fraud or if he is legit and warrants more time as HC of this team

Good point deserves a good pint.  🍻  😄

• Like 4