What's Up With Sammy Watkins?

bzane

On 12/17/2017 at 6:04 PM, Car_Ramrod said:

Great great read. I'd be surprised if he left LA for more money. Especially from those that are rebuilding like Chicago, SF, and others. 

We either sign him to a deal or tag him. There's no way we gave up a second round pick just for him to walk at the end of the season. 

I was thinking about that as well (sidenote: great Super Troopers reference) but can you really franchise tag a dude that in 15 games has 39 receptions on 70 targets for 593 yards? The 8 TDs is solid... but man, tough for me to imagine ya'll shelling out roughly $16 million to keep him around.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I was thinking about that as well (sidenote: great Super Troopers reference) but can you really franchise tag a dude that in 15 games has 39 receptions on 70 targets for 593 yards? The 8 TDs is solid... but man, tough for me to imagine ya'll shelling out roughly $16 million to keep him around.

My assumption is that they'll try to lock him up after the season. I would be surprised if he's franchised, but it's not completely off the table.

Just now, jrry32 said:

My assumption is that they'll try to lock him up after the season. I would be surprised if he's franchised, but it's not completely off the table.

If he wants to be there I'm sure ya'll will make it happen. My WR corps is dog-poop and Adams is now off the market so I've got my eyes on Watkins and Allen Robinson, although the latter is coming off a torn ACL.

Just now, G08 said:

If he wants to be there I'm sure ya'll will make it happen. My WR corps is dog-poop and Adams is now off the market so I've got my eyes on Watkins and Allen Robinson, although the latter is coming off a torn ACL.

Meredith is a good player. Paul Richardson wouldn't be a bad option. He's a cheaper version of Sammy (with less upside).

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Meredith is a good player. Paul Richardson wouldn't be a bad option. He's a cheaper version of Sammy (with less upside).

I like Meredith quite a bit (wonderful UDFA hedge to Kevin White) but he's coming off a torn ACL / potentially damaged MCL.

I just need my Bears to take a page out of your Rams' and the Eagles' book... Trubisky needs some weapons ASAP.

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I like Meredith quite a bit (wonderful UDFA hedge to Kevin White) but he's coming off a torn ACL / potentially damaged MCL.

I just need my Bears to take a page out of your Rams' and the Eagles' book... Trubisky needs some weapons ASAP.

In that case, you need to find your Sean McVay. ;)

26 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not franchising Sammy after tonight. He didn't make the plays that a #1 WR has to make.

Yeah I don't really want to either. And it's not just because of tonight. His only real big game all season was against San Fran. He may have had 8 TDs but only had one 100 yard game and almost every game he had three catches or less. 

3 hours ago, RamRod said:

Yeah I don't really want to either. And it's not just because of tonight. His only real big game all season was against San Fran. He may have had 8 TDs but only had one 100 yard game and almost every game he had three catches or less. 

If he doesn't want to re-sign a reasonable deal, I transition tag him.

EDIT: After seeing the cost of that, I'm not so sure about that.

Never wanted to franchise him to begin with and after tonight just offer him a contract but definitely not as much as we're paying Woods. Maybe sign a vet on a prove it deal but if not going into next year with Woods, Kupp and Reynolds works for me. With Cooper and Thomas behind them and maybe a vet.

The question is, if we extend his contract or franchise him what's the plan for him next year ? If he's underused like this season, there's no need to sign him. 

Yesterday Watkins got 4 target, 1 target drop between his hands but even if he made the catch i think the DB would broke the ball and another target he beat the DB but Goff underthrown the deep pass...1 target in the endzone that should be holding by Jones and 1 big catch in the 3rd i think. 

That's not enough production ! you can't only blame him for the poor target number, it's also on Mcvay and Goff fault. 

On 1/7/2018 at 5:00 AM, Flounch said:

The question is, if we extend his contract or franchise him what's the plan for him next year ? If he's underused like this season, there's no need to sign him. 

Yesterday Watkins got 4 target, 1 target drop between his hands but even if he made the catch i think the DB would broke the ball and another target he beat the DB but Goff underthrown the deep pass...1 target in the endzone that should be holding by Jones and 1 big catch in the 3rd i think. 

That's not enough production ! you can't only blame him for the poor target number, it's also on Mcvay and Goff fault. 

The Rams are reportedly going to franchise Watkins. That's a lot of coin with the lack of production and injury history during his first four years. When Sammy was in Buffalo a lot of people said we weren't using him correctly and he needed more touches, but after 4 years in the league I think that it's hard to use that excuse still. If he was consistently getting open he would be targeted a lot more and he would be putting up all pro caliber numbers, which is what he needs to be doing if he wants to be paid in the top 5 at his position. McVay is a great offensive mind and Goff is young and talented QB. There should be no excuses on Sammy's part. He needs to step it up. Maybe the franchise tag will be the motivation he needs to play better and secure a long term deal with a ton of guaranteed money.

Archived