Raiders sign RB Kenyan Drake (2 years, up to $14.5, $11M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

• 5 months later...
7 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

anybody else underwhelmed by his usage so far? he's basically just doing richard's role but isn't as good a pass protector. he's going to get paid a lot next year too

He's probably one of those players that ends up being a playoff X Factor. There's probably a bunch of plays that Gruden has for him that hes saving for later in the season. The thing though is you have to make the playoffs for that type of thing to matter

• Like 1

The investment hasn't been great with Drake so far. I thought he would be so much faster and quicker. To me he looks slow out there. I think he is who is he as far a rushing the ball but hes been everything they could have wanted catching the ball. He did have some terrible blitz pick ups and lack of picks up against the Dolphins that pretty much got him benched.

Edited by agarcia34

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

The investment has been great with Drake so far. I thought he would be so much faster and quicker. To me he looks slow out there. I think he is who is he as far a rushing the ball but hes been everything they could have wanted catching the ball. He did have some terrible blitz pick ups and lack of picks up against the Dolphins that pretty much got him benched.

i dont know what he's done that Richard couldn't though. he's run the same types of routes that Jalen did. he's been unimpressive as a rusher (albeit behind a line that doesnt open may holes). and his pass pro like you said is a problem. and if you're going to be a 3rd down back... that's kind of a big deal

i rationalized the signing (which i didnt like) with the anticipation that he would get a lot more usage... basically combining and absorbing the roles of Booker and Richard. instead he's basically just been richard but worse

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

The investment hasn't been great with Drake so far. I thought he would be so much faster and quicker. To me he looks slow out there. I think he is who is he as far a rushing the ball but hes been everything they could have wanted catching the ball. He did have some terrible blitz pick ups and lack of picks up against the Dolphins that pretty much got him benched.

from an RB perspective it doesn't look like he does very well seeing holes. It's almost like he has that same problem that Darren Mcfadden or like Trent Richardson used to have. It's also not really good as a pass blocker. That's sad it's looking more like he was brought in to be like a gadget player like Lynn Bowden was supposed to be. Which is where I get the special plays idea. But who really knows

21 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

He'll be fine I think the OL being bad has not helped him get to the 2nd level.

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I look as Drake more as a weapon than a true RB. I think we will see his true role when Jacobs is back. 

i dont know what that means. he just runs simple routes of the the backfield. maybe splits out wide and runs simple routes from there. nothing other scatbacks like richard dont do

7 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i dont know what that means. he just runs simple routes of the the backfield. maybe splits out wide and runs simple routes from there. nothing other scatbacks like richard dont do

Hybrid RB/WR that will motion out and run routes in two back sets. I don’t think we’ve been able to run our compete offense with Josh out. Gruden has something in mind, it’s the whole reason he brought in Bowden last year. 

Edited by Geezy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

how many times were drake and josh sharing the field against baltimore?

Not sure I was at the game having a blast, wasn’t really focused on personnel. 

thats just been my rationale since we drafted Bowden. Who was a hybrid player in college.

Edited by Geezy
  • Like 1