Raiders sign RB Kenyan Drake (2 years, up to $14.5, $11M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It looks ugly because the defense is so far away from being good. That money could buy you a high end starter on defense. That said, we have to see how the defense comes together as we progress.

The defense won’t even have to play if we can milk the clock with Drake and Josh.

I like the move.  It was very obvious to me that Jacobs is not and elite, workhorse back and never will be.  He needs a complimentary back to really get the most out of who he is as a player and Drake is a rock solid 2, although I see him being used as a 1A.  

Time to move on from Richard....

I’m not a fan to be honest. He’s a good RB, but seems a lot of money for a 2nd RB...

not sure what he’s going to get, but I was hoping for Lindsey after Denver released him. I could be totally wrong, but I imagine the contract would be less than what we gave Drake.

I always liked Drake as a player and his contrasting style to Jacobs is something I like. But 11 mill guaranteed to a backup RB is alot. He needs to be 1,000+ yards from scrimmage for him to be worth that, imo.

Gruden hasn't proven to be a creative enough of a playcaller for me to think he will adequately get both guys their touches, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I’m not a fan to be honest. He’s a good RB, but seems a lot of money for a 2nd RB...

not sure what he’s going to get, but I was hoping for Lindsey after Denver released him. I could be totally wrong, but I imagine the contract would be less than what we gave Drake.

just 2m more then Richard. Imagine that money going to Witten, Drake has a new element to the offense. 

2 hours ago, Roninho said:

Which high end starter on defense we could have gotten for 5.5 mio?

Exactly.... I thought we all said the game plan should be to target some guys we really like to get an impact and then fill out the rest with good deals over time.  We still have money to spend so stick to the game plan and be smart and thrifty... but if a good deal I’d there pounce on it!

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The biggest thing about adding Drake is that it will help keep Jacobs fresh throughout the season. We won't have to give him 30+ touches a game anymore. 

Yes!  And I expect to run the ball more in general and Throw to the backs more.  I expect to see drake me that Bowden failed to be.  We could see drake flexing out to slow presnap.... it lets us be creative.

It may be a bit rich, but with Drake we get an additional starter. Richard and Booker were nice complements but nothing more. When JJ gets dinged up, he slows down, and those two couldn't effectively pick up the load. Drake is a legit weapon in both the running and passing game. Definite upgrade. maybe he is getting a million more than you would like, but he is 27 and in his prime.

4 hours ago, Roninho said:

Which high end starter on defense we could have gotten for 5.5 mio?

Not saying I am against this signing but if I had to choose between Desmond King for $3.5 and Drake for $5.5 I choose King.  No reason why we could not have signed both.  I would have like to have signed King over Brown also.  If we go out and spend $10 on a slot CB I will be pissed.

5 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I always liked Drake as a player and his contrasting style to Jacobs is something I like. But 11 mill guaranteed to a backup RB is alot. He needs to be 1,000+ yards from scrimmage for him to be worth that, imo.

Gruden hasn't proven to be a creative enough of a playcaller for me to think he will adequately get both guys their touches, but we'll see. 

I see him getting around 800 rushing and receiving yards and I'm okay with that.