If the Packers struggle without Rodgers, is it an indictment on Ted Thompson?

RoellPreston88

46 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Sure it's had issues. But the point is he's getting praised for that trade when he was screwing up at that group before. But that's not the way it'll be portrayed at all but you guys 

Before HaHa the Packers were starting MD Jennings and others for quite some time. I would have praised TT if he had made a trade to improve this position. Acknowledging a mistake and looking to improve/fix it. 

26 minutes ago, RoellPreston88 said:

Before HaHa the Packers were starting MD Jennings and others for quite some time. I would have praised TT if he had made a trade to improve this position. Acknowledging a mistake and looking to improve/fix it. 

Fair enough. He also had a borderline star who's career should have never ended when it did. That doesn't justify him not fixing it soon enough. But again, you can pro con for days like that.

4 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

How many years did Nick Collins look like a miserable safety before he broke out?  I mean, people act like we held onto players like MD Jennings for 5+ years.  I think at most, Jennings was the one who stuck the longest.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

How many years did Nick Collins look like a miserable safety before he broke out?  I mean, people act like we held onto players like MD Jennings for 5+ years.  I think at most, Jennings was the one who stuck the longest.

Nick Collins was one of the most athletically gifted Safeties to ever play in the NFL and was pretty raw coming into the NFL. The guy had elite speed and could actually run down some of the fastest guys in the NFL and make unbelievable breaks on the ball. He was actually a better center fielder than Earl Thomas.

21 minutes ago, strat1080 said:

Nick Collins was one of the most athletically gifted Safeties to ever play in the NFL and was pretty raw coming into the NFL. The guy had elite speed and could actually run down some of the fastest guys in the NFL and make unbelievable breaks on the ball. He was actually a better center fielder than Earl Thomas.

And he stunk out loud at first, that's all he's saying. If Nick never gets better someone could say they stuck with him too long, etc etc.

This is just another discussion that's confounded by the fact that too many guys have gotten hurt. Randall and Rollins have excellent rookie years and then come out last year with a season ending injury for Randall and several other constant nagging injuries for Rollins including an incident where he was carted off the field.

I cannot say this enough: fire the strength and conditioning staff. The philosophy is not working.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is just another discussion that's confounded by the fact that too many guys have gotten hurt. Randall and Rollins have excellent rookie years and then come out last year with a season ending injury for Randall and several other constant nagging injuries for Rollins including an incident where he was carted off the field.

I cannot say this enough: fire the strength and conditioning staff. The philosophy is not working.

How long ago did they do this? They didn't outside hire though, I know they tried all this new age this and that too. 

They can all get canned, but I think we tried to change stuff up and same damn crap.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

How long did they do this? They didn't outside hire though, I know they tried all this new age this and that too. 

They can all get canned, but I think we tried to change stuff up and same damn crap.

That's the ultimate problem. You can send a bad employee, or one that's a bad fit for your company, to continuing education in the hope that they'll learn some new stuff and turn it around; but at the end of the day, you'll be lucky if their performance is better than a marginal improvement...

Admittedly, that last bit is personal experience as I've been on both sides of the coin. It's rough, but it's quite the learning experience.

Just now, Joe said:

That's the ultimate problem. You can send a bad employee, or one that's a bad fit for your company, to continuing education in the hope that they'll learn some new stuff and turn it around; but at the end of the day, you'll be lucky if their performance is better than a marginal improvement...

Admittedly, that last bit is personal experience as I've been on both sides of the coin. It's rough, but it's quite the learning experience.

I wonder how much is how we practice bc of how Mike wants to plus the new CBA stuff.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

I wonder how much is how we practice bc of how Mike wants to plus the new CBA stuff.

That's a great point and a point of concern for the 31 other teams, but a good S&C staff can get around most of those issues. Ours cannot.

A more direct concern here is the kind of injuries we've sustained. It's not as if one guy has a bum knee, another with an elbow problem, and one with a shoulder or neck concern. It's a rash of hammy issues in particular, which screams that those players just aren't in proper condition; and it's not due to laziness either...JMO

44 minutes ago, Joe said:

That's a great point and a point of concern for the 31 other teams, but a good S&C staff can get around most of those issues. Ours cannot.

A more direct concern here is the kind of injuries we've sustained. It's not as if one guy has a bum knee, another with an elbow problem, and one with a shoulder or neck concern. It's a rash of hammy issues in particular, which screams that those players just aren't in proper condition; and it's not due to laziness either...JMO

Is it even a lot of hammys this go round? I don't ever pay attention that close, but I thought we didn't have many hammys this year.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

?

Nick Collins showed flashes in year 1, took a step back in year 2, but closed out strong, and a budding star after.

This also happened during rebuilding years (Sherman's GTFO season and year 1 of MM). 

M.D. Jennings never really showed flashes, and played extensively in years we were contenders. 

The situations are in no way comparable, and would have warranted completely different approaches. 

7 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

And he stunk out loud at first, that's all he's saying. If Nick never gets better someone could say they stuck with him too long, etc etc.

You never really regret holding onto players with Collins caliber of athleticism/talent is what strat was saying... especially if you compare that trait of his to the other's we ultimately failed on. 

3 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

You never really regret holding onto players with Collins caliber of athleticism/talent is what strat was saying... especially if you compare that trait of his to the other's we ultimately failed on. 

Purely running numbers, McMillian and Collins are very close athletically. Not saying that you're wrong, but this isn't so cut and dry. 

I think this probably fits here. Would it be a good move for Ted Thompson to have traded for Kelvin Benjamin? We may have an extra third round pick and always end up with at least one seventh in the draft. Is he a player who could help this receiving corps and would you have paid a 3 and 7 for him?

also, a 4th for Ajayi, would you?  Do we have the players on our roster after Jones? 

Archived