If the Packers struggle without Rodgers, is it an indictment on Ted Thompson?

RoellPreston88

53 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

So you think it's unreasonable to think we should have been in more superbowls than one while we have the greatest QB to ever play the game? With Rodgers we're a SB contender and without him were a bottom 10 team. Two issues here backup QB isnt where it should be or the rest of the roster isnt where it should be. Both those issues fall on Ted and/or coaching staff. Someone has to be held accountable. The biggest praises for Belichick is his ability to hold people accountable and his ability to change both qualities Ted and coaching staff(Mac & Dom) lack. This GB team is Rodgers and the roster has been built around the success of Rodgers. Rodgers plays great we win, Rodgers plays bad/average we lose, Rodgers gets injured and GB doesn't win at all. I don't think this structure is by design but rather poor performance by Ted. The scouting department has lost a lot of talent in recent years which I think has hurt this team but Ted doesn't bring in new talent. Imagine having a roster built around Defense where if Rodgers plays bad we can still win. GB has the 8th and 11th largest cap hits for WR(Cobb & Nelson). NEs top 3 WRs don't equal Cobbs cap hit. Rodger inflates WRs numbers and we shouldn't be paying our WRs top dollar because most of their success is due to Rodgers. Jordy, Cobb and Adams aren't game changers its the guy throwing them the ball. Spend that money on defensive playmakers and give Rodgers more opportunities. Something has to change at the end of the season and if people want to continue to ride with Ted then Dom and or Mac need to be the change.

I don't think the actual specific reasons it's only been one super bowl are on either McCarthy or Thompson and replacing them is as likely, if not more, to be a step backwards as forward.

You are also being misleading with the money for NEs WR if you don't count TE too.

I also don't think this is a bottom 10 team without Rodgers. If the rest if the roster was somewhat healthy, I think this is a 9-10 win team because I think Hundley will be decent.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I want to dogpile onto HZ's post...in a good way.

For the defense, it's either talent or scheme or both.  Injuries obviously hurt, but that is true for every team, not just GB.

I believe that TT drafts good enough defensive talent, Dom just doesn't use it correctly.  That is my belief.  And it will only be proven right if Dom moves on, a new guy comes in and the same defenders all of a sudden play better.  Burnett is a good player.  HHCD is a good to great player.  Clay was a great player, now he is good.  Perry is a great player.  Daniels is a great player.  Clark is a good player.  ILB's are average to good.  Corners are average to good.  We should see better results.

HZ is right...Rodgers will make any offense work and he doesn't even need great talent at WR.  He(Rodgers) can win despite scheme and lesser talent.  But, he needs a defense if he is going to truly contend for another title.

this

I too think it is time to move on from Capers.  From what I heard a while ago Capers defenses look great in his first season but go down hill every year after.

11 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I too think it is time to move on from Capers.  From what I heard a while ago Capers defenses look great in his first season but go down hill every year after.

Personally, I think the happy medium between both sides is to fire Capers and replace him with Darren Perry.

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Personally, I think the happy medium between both sides is to fire Capers and replace him with Darren Perry.

I'd take that as a starting point, you bet.  Ideally I'd like your guys Bowles, but he may not be available.  Perry's done a very good job and the guys know him.  Great suggestion.

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's exactly why this type of move should happen now so you can evaluate a guy like Perry over the next 9 weeks to determine whether he sticks or you have to go outside the org to find new blood in the offseason.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

That's exactly why this type of move should happen now so you can evaluate a guy like Perry over the next 9 weeks to determine whether he sticks or you have to go outside the org to find new blood in the offseason.

They'd just keep him. I don't want inside hire there myself.

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think that's a fair evaluation. Off-season install and scheme planning are large parts of the job.

3 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't think that's a fair evaluation. Off-season install and scheme planning are large parts of the job.

Yeah we'd just see the same stuff. Maybe a spark from it, could happen. But a lot of the same scheme stuff.

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Except the Packers aren't the organization that does that.  They're not going to react that way.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

You are also being misleading with the money for NEs WR if you don't count TE too.

I also don't think this is a bottom 10 team without Rodgers. If the rest if the roster was somewhat healthy, I think this is a 9-10 win team because I think Hundley will be decent.

This is true. Robs getting 7.5 this year and 11 next year. Gronk is a game changer. 

I guess we'll find out how good this team is without Rodgers coming out of the bye. We might have every starter minus Rodgers playing. I dont know if that makes us one of the healthiest or least healthiest teams.

54 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Careful what you wish for

I think our base talent alone would prevent any further dip. Talent gets you so far on d, scheme improves that talent, individually and more so as a whole. We are missing the latter.

52 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except the Packers aren't the organization that does that.  They're not going to react that way.

Well yea, it's not going to happen, but it should. It would send a message that accountability still matters after repeated poor performance. Much like any other job.

Archived