Saints and Raiders successfully appeal COVID penalties, will not lose draft picks

Dome

So basically the league applied pick penalties to look tough on Covid-19 early on.     But once the season is done, and all the games are in the bank - just kidding, folks. 

It's not a deal breaker either way, but it shows you where the league's really at in terms of player safety.  Everything they do is geared at getting the games in - so they get paid the TV $.     If Covid-19 was a problem next year, then I suspect those penalties would have stayed.  Because there's a vaccine, and a path to returning to normal life (yay!)....ok, we'll just take your $, no picks - because there's no deterrent function that needs to continue for 2022.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 7

Just now, Broncofan said:

So basically the league applied pick penalties to look tough on Covid-19 early on.     But once the season is done, and all the games are in the bank - just kidding, folks. 

It's not a deal breaker either way, but it shows you where the league's really at in terms of player safety.  Everything they do is geared at getting the games in - so they get paid the TV $.     If Covid-19 was a problem next year, then I suspect those penalties would have stayed.  Because there's a vaccine, and a path to returning to normal life (yay!)....ok, we'll just take your $, no picks - because there's no deterrant function that needs to continue for 2022.

What about the Saints covering up injuries? I guess that's not frowned upon?

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

What about the Saints covering up injuries? I guess that's not frowned upon?

Those past penalties were kept - because injury reporting is a requirement in the CBA (and the increasing revenue generated from wagering).    There's still a need for ongoing deterrence.  There isn't one for Covid-19.

If you mean this year, the Saints haven't been penalized for non-reporting.  They could get dinged for Michael Thomas - but generally, there's usually an investigation by now.  They may get a pass given how unusual Covid was (even though it's pretty clear you shouldn't hide injuries like Thomas had on the injury report, Covid or not).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

OK now that's confusing.  Raiders win appeal, Saints don't?   Can't wait to hear the reasoning.

@Dome - might need a title change (sorry).

Edited by Broncofan

I think you should lose picks for things that actually give you an on field advantage in the game, not for not following Covid protocols (fine them) or not reporting injuries (who cares, besides bettors). Now if you suit up Julio Jones in the playoffs and pretend he is part of your Bears team that would be unfair and you should be punished. Or if you stole a playbook. Or if a player gets hit for PEDs, that's when losing picks should happen. In my opinion anyway.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think you should lose picks for things that actually give you an on field advantage in the game, not for not following Covid protocols (fine them) or not reporting injuries (who cares, besides bettors). Now if you suit up Julio Jones in the playoffs and pretend he is part of your Bears team that would be unfair and you should be punished. Or if you stole a playbook. Or if a player gets hit for PEDs, that's when losing picks should happen. In my opinion anyway.

I don't have a problem with it because the league needed to show that Covid-19 measures were non-negotiable.   There's only 1 way to send the message there.   Otherwise, the season completing, let alone completing with all games, would certainly have been at risk.    

The other part - the league will do everything it can to protect its revenue stream.  It's why there's a policy on injury reporting.  It's not for competitive advantage - it's to keep the perception that gambling is done on a transparent basis.    The more that wagering and daily fantasy sports income helps the NFL - the more it's in their interest to have full and transparent reporting.     In this case, it's beyond just protecting income - without games, or fewer games - major lost revenue.  The league can't sit idly by if teams aren't following protocols meant to reduce risk of losing said games.     It's also why I wasn't surprised to hear the news that the pick penalties were dropped on appeal - they served their function, and it's not like this type of deterrence is needed next year.

Having said that, it's just so typical of the NFL to be inconsistent in how they penalize for what sounds like similar infractions.   The Wheel of Misfortune method again rears its ugly head for the NFL lol.

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Blows my mind that the Titans didn't lose a pick too

I think the fines applied if anyone in org didn’t follow.   The picks were for coaches / FO violations, and usually more than 1.   IIRC the Titans players took the fall (wink wink) for organizing those sessions off site. 

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

OK now that's confusing.  Raiders win appeal, Saints don't?   Can't wait to hear the reasoning.

@Dome - might need a title change (sorry).

We didn’t want that pick anyways. 

Rog Goodell eat my shorts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

We didn’t want that pick anyways. 

Rog Goodell eat my shorts.

It's pretty easy to see why NO signed Taysom Hill to that 4/140M voidable year extension, just to troll the league's cap rules (and rules in general) wherever they can.  It's a relationship of mutual contempt there.

• Like 3

Just now, Broncofan said:

It's pretty easy to see why NO signed Taysom Hill to that 4/140M voidable year extension, just to troll the league's cap rules (and rules in general) wherever they can.  It's a relationship of mutual contempt there.

At some point Payton has to know that Goodell is looking for any reason to bring his hellfire down on the Saints and stop giving him ammunition. Kamara should’ve been fined by the team months and months ago.