Colts re-sign WR TY Hilton

Blackstar12

5 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Imagine the Ravens being linked to every quality receiver on the market. And then getting none of them. And several of them taking less money to go to worse teams. 

more to do w/ system than QB IMO. Guy was an MVP, but WRs (and everyone) are trying to cash in next offseason so they're looking to maximize their 1yr stats. Going to (1) and unfamiliar team and (2) an unfamiliar run-first team regardless of QB is not appealing for rational reasons.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Imagine the Ravens being linked to every quality receiver on the market. And then getting none of them. And several of them taking less money to go to worse teams. 

Every quality receiver? They weren't linked to any of them really outside of Juju, Hilton and Watkins. They never made an offer to Golladay because it was going to be way outside their range and they knew it. They will regret it when they have subpar seasons and when the Ravens hand them an L..

10 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

And your takeaway from this is that nobody wants to play with....Lamar Jackson?????? lmfao

Let's just take a step back for a second:

Maybe if he learns how to throw a pass to someone other than Mark Andrews WRs would want to play there.

Ravens have terrible WR's right now, so Lamar doesn't throw to them, he instead throws to his All-Pro TE, who gets open for him - and you're actually criticizing Lamar for that? And somehow this same line of thinking is also why WR's, who are clearly better than Willie Snead or Miles Boykin or even Marquise Brown, wouldn't sign there to become the #1 target for a guy who already force feeds his #1 target? Weird.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And your takeaway from this is that nobody wants to play with....Lamar Jackson?????? lmfao

Ravens have terrible WR's right now, so Lamar doesn't throw to them, he instead throws to his All-Pro TE, who gets open for him - and you're actually criticizing Lamar for that? And somehow this same line of thinking is also why WR's, who are clearly better than Willie Snead or Miles Boykin or even Marquise Brown, wouldn't sign there to become the #1 target for a guy who already force feeds his #1 target? Weird.

I agree with this post but I don't think Brown is terrible, they began to use him more creatively at the tail end of the season getting him the ball quickly and allowing him to use his speed.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He's not terrible, I would say he's just wildly inconsistent right now.

Hollywood was pretty darn good at OU. It could be that Roman doesn't know how to use him correctly. 

I know I wouldn't want him as a Coordinator. We tried that already. Didn't work for very long. 

8 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hollywood was pretty darn good at OU. It could be that Roman doesn't know how to use him correctly. 

I know I wouldn't want him as a Coordinator. We tried that already. Didn't work for very long. 

oh 100% he doesn't know how to utilize anyone properly in the pass game. But beyond that he's had problems with drops too. He came on down teh stretch and I hope he can continue that moving forward but so far it's been a roller coaster.

1 hour ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

I can’t speak from any kind of insider knowledge. But I think Hilton felt the love from the locker room and fan base this week and finally made the decision. Whether it is the correct decision is tbd.

Hilton had said last year that he wanted to make this next contract his last contract. Also made it clear he wanted to pass on his knowledge to the next guy (i.e. Harrison to Wayne; Wayne to Hilton; Hilton to Pittman?)

Pittman is really talented and I expect him to become a star. Hilton is a great guy to mentor him on technique, etc.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

more to do w/ system than QB IMO. Guy was an MVP, but WRs (and everyone) are trying to cash in next offseason so they're looking to maximize their 1yr stats. Going to (1) and unfamiliar team and (2) an unfamiliar run-first team regardless of QB is not appealing for rational reasons.

it's a business decision. NYG had to pay big to get their guy now and not be a 1 year deal. If I'm a WR I'm not changing teams in a down cap year especially knowing it will only got up huge every year from here. Chemistry with the players already on the team and staying in a system to maximize your usage and probably your next payday. Would like to see AB go to the Ravens. Having family there and a chip on his shoulder would make the Ravens, must see tv. 

31 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I wouldn’t. He throws the ball less than any other QB. And he’s extremely inefficient throwing to his WRs. His success throwing has been dinking and dunking it to Andrews, who is elite at finding soft spots in zones and eating teams up. Jackson can’t throw accurately down the field on his limited attempts. Why would I want to play in that offense with that QB?

Ravens have terrible WR's right now, so Lamar doesn't throw to them, he instead throws to his All-Pro TE, who gets open for him - and you're actually criticizing Lamar for that? 

I’m not criticizing him for throwing to Andrews at all lol. I’m saying he’s bad when throwing outside the numbers to his WRs. Like, kind of god awful. Not sure that’s debatable.

And somehow this same line of thinking is also why WR's, who are clearly better than Willie Snead or Miles Boykin or even Marquise Brown, wouldn't sign there to become the #1 target for a guy who already force feeds his #1 target? Weird.

I think those WRs would be fine with traditional QBs. Brown will still drop passes, but he’d be a stud with a Mahomes/Brady/Aaron.

Whether it’s the systems fault or the QB’s fault, no WR is gonna want to play in Baltimore unless it’s purely about winning. WRs are notoriously selfish. Hard to sell a guy on “blocking” and trying to catch wobblers from a below average passing QB. Lamar is a good football player and very tough to stop. But he doesn’t do his WR’s any favors. 

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

Maybe if he learns how to throw a pass to someone other than Mark Andrews WRs would want to play there. Lamar Jackson is the main reason nobody wants to play in Baltimore. 

I mean, we’ve seen a lot more passing ability out of Lamar than we have coaching ability from Roman...

Warner, Baldinger, Smitty, essentially Dez, all ripped him. 

I’d say Roman (as both a poor pass play designer + run game prominence + heavily reliance on tight ends) had more to do with it than Lamar would. The way you talk, you’d think Jackson was moonballing balls over player’s heads like Trubisky. He’s a fine passer. 

21 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

oh 100% he doesn't know how to utilize anyone properly in the pass game. But beyond that he's had problems with drops too. He came on down teh stretch and I hope he can continue that moving forward but so far it's been a roller coaster.

I’m willing to concede that it might be more scheme-based. I want to see Jackson operate in a traditional offense. I have a feeling it’d be a disaster, but I’m curious to see if it would help or hinder him as a passer.