Colts re-sign WR TY Hilton

Blackstar12

56 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Too much talk about TY passing up on the Ravens and not enough talk about how the heck does TY get nearly the same money on a 1-year deal as Will Fuller. 

Will Fuller is suspended for the first game of the season, and has missed 27 games in 5 seasons 

Hilton has missed 11 games in 9 seasons 

Also the Colts have/had $39 million in cap space

• Like 1

Yeah I really don't get how this is an indictment against the Ravens. Similar to Juju, in a year where the cap is reduced, there are still lingering questions related to Covid, and the cap is set to explode next season. Why would you one) want to learn a new offense and two) not want to try to maximize your production in the system you are familiar with for a bigger payday next season?

I mean, outside of Golladay who is the exception and not the rule, wide receivers really didn't get paid this off-season. Why do you think Allen Robinson was so willing to sign his franchise tag? It wasn't because he was thrilled to be catching passes from Andy Dalton. It just makes sense this year for most receivers to take short term deals on their current teams in hopes of that familiarity translating into production and a bigger long term contract next year. 

7 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Yeah I really don't get how this is an indictment against the Ravens. Similar to Juju, in a year where the cap is reduced, there are still lingering questions related to Covid, and the cap is set to explode next season. Why would you one) want to learn a new offense and two) not want to try to maximize your production in the system you are familiar with for a bigger payday next season?

I mean, outside of Golladay who is the exception and not the rule, wide receivers really didn't get paid this off-season. Why do you think Allen Robinson was so willing to sign his franchise tag? It wasn't because he was thrilled to be catching passes from Andy Dalton. It just makes sense this year for most receivers to take short term deals on their current teams in hopes of that familiarity translating into production and a bigger long term contract next year. 

I mean, it’s definitely saying something against the Ravens. Juju and Watkins are coming off down seasons (statistically) in those same offenses. TY produced basically the same amount, just played in 15/16 games in 2020 instead of 10/16 in 2019. Down from 2018, either way. Familiarity didn’t translate into production for them then. If these were guys joining new teams in 2020, struggling to fit, and then trying to run it back with a little bit of experience in the system - that’d make sense.

Meanwhile, Diggs exploded in a new offense. Jefferson had no issue learning it in Minnesota. Robby Anderson and D-Hop didn’t seem to have any issues. Of course learning a new offense and being a new system is a factor (in comparison to having multiple years in one offense) but to say that that’s scaring players away...is an overstatement. 

For guys looking to cash out, it doesn’t make sense to go to an offense where the top receiver’s getting 100 targets. Meanwhile in a place like Pittsburgh, Claypool, Johnson, and Juju all saw over that (109, 128, 144). 

Edited by Yin-Yang