• Jaylen Waddle
    • Micah Parsons
    • Mac Jones
    • Kyle Pitts
    • Rashawn Slater
    • Patrick Surtain
    • Caleb Farley
    • Other

To give us more time to discuss the first, most important pick, I will start discussion on it now.

I base this poll on the premise that the first six picks, in whatever order, include Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Sewell, Chase, and Lance. I feel that's very probable both in real life and in this mock. Speaking for myself, if any of these players fall to 7, they would be the pick.

This poll also assumes that there is no trade down available. If those players are gone, trading down would be the best option and I'd try to do so. But let's assume we can't.

Edited by Superduperman
  • Like 2

I went with Rashawn Slater. I think he can play any position on our line outside of LT/C and upgrade it to a pro-bowl level.

Decker/Slater/Ragnow long-term is the starting foundation of that Dallas like Oline from a few years ago. Low risk, long-term success type selection. 

• Like 2

I went with Pitts. He's not a TE, he's a WR and arguably WR1. We aren't that far off from a competent offense despite the overhaul at key positions (Stafford > Goff; KG, Marvin, Danny> Tyrrell, Breshad, etc.). A proper RT and two guys (maybe 3 if we add picks and someone is BPA) in a deep WR class could practically solidify this side of the ball for 2-3 years other than at QB (and maybe Goff plays beyond expectations). 

I don't love Parsons for the character concerns and there are some question marks on his overall game (every prospect will have those but he's not a slam dunk). I don't love the size/durability of Smith/Waddle. The best ability is availability and I don't want to take a flier on guys who are already question marks on how often they'll get on the field. 

Not opposed to Slater or Sewell if they are available. #7 seems a bit high for Slater as I'm assuming there will be other guys available on the board. 

Mac Jones: Someone (maybe it was TL? Maybe it was Simba) had suggested we draft Tua and then try to auction him off. We could make a similar approach with Mac Jones, assuming that someone will like him but may be willing to risk having him drop. Maybe the Pats FFMD group wants him but doesn't want to trade up and hope he drops to them at #15. Depending on who is sitting there, it's at least something to ponder. 

My thought on Parsons is that his character concerns don't put me off him very much, assuming what we know publicly is all there is. It's not a good look but on a NFL team you have to have some mean guys, even a-holes. Look at Richie Incognito, he's still in the league at age 38 despite being a well-known bad guy. The Lions have always focused on good-guy community heroes and I feel they've suffered for it.

Edited by Superduperman

3 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

My thought on Parsons is that his character concerns don't put me off him very much, assuming what we know publicly is all there is. It's not a good look but on a NFL team you have to have some mean guys, even a-holes. Look at Richie Incognito, he's still in the league at age 38 despite being a well-known bad guy. The Lions have always focused on good-guy community heroes and I feel they've suffered for it.

I would want to see something that shows Parsons to be a bit more apologetic, humbled and wanting to turn a leaf. 

I didn't quite get that from his statements about being 17-18, wanting to be a father (or is going to be a father), etc. When he was in a leadership position at PSU he bullied the crap out of this kid to a near criminal level. If he wasn't a star player I wonder if it would have gone a different route and if he would have stayed on as a member of the team. 

He doesn't have to be a boy scout or squeaky clean but it does make me question him as a leader and whether he really has grown up and matured in the way we need. This pick is a foundational player that is going to be expected to be a banner carrier for the new regime. Whether they want to be or not, they are going to have to be a leader in the locker room. 

I draw the line at sexual assault. I want no part of Parsons. I also don’t want Pitts. I hope someone else makes that mistake. Mac Jones is not a top 10 talent for me. 

That leaves my choice out of your choices to Smith, Waddle and Slater with no trade back. There has been a distinct focus on speed at WR with this new front office, so I’m taking Jaylen Waddle. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

The best kind of leader on any NFL team is the one who leads the way in kicking the **** out of everyone, that's my opinion. I don't want apologetic, humble guys out there, I want ***-kickers

I'll take an a** kicker but I'd prefer someone who is going to lead by example, not simulate raping a teammate while doing things that would 110% have him kicked out of school if it was against a member of the opposite sex at PSU. I'm not saying Parsons has to be a wimp but acknowledge the issues, apologize for the position it has put you and the school in, "I'm going to grow from this experience and prove to teams that I am a leader on and off the field". I would be more comfortable with the kid off the field with a different approach. That's all. 

If you want to take the player because he's a stud on the field, that's cool. FFMD does allow you to throw that kind of thing out in a Madden-esque fashion. If we're trying to think of a realistic situation/what would the Lions do, I'm not 100% sure they'd be sold on Parsons. 

You've reserved the right to overrule the majority and make your pick based on how you see it. That's fine - just saying there is a case to be made against taking him. We wound up with Jarrad Davis over Reuben Foster for a reason and he dropped to #31 for a reason. 

A case could be made for most of those players. I wouldn’t take Parsons. I also wouldn’t take Jones this high. They have a starter and a backup. I would prefer the selection of a QB later. They don’t need to hit on QB this year. They will be picking high next year and likely 2023 as well. Both years with sufficient capital to get a good prospect. 

Logic says Slater, even if a bit high however I would take Pitts. Regardless of 11 or 12 personnel he doesn’t leave the field. Fast, big, strong, versatile. In my view he’s the best football player on the board.

As I’m not a participant, just the occasional voice from the peanut gallery, I won’t participate in the poll.

1 minute ago, Superduperman said:

In retrospect, what's the difference? I'd rather take the risk on the guy who can play instead of the guy who can't.

One guy just got paid $7M to join a new coaching staff after being misplayed in Detroit for a few years while the other has been in and out of the league. 

Just now, Superduperman said:

🙄

If you want to pick Parsons, go for it. He's a good player at a position of need. 

He's also the complete opposite of what the team has talked about in terms of character and leadership. What I hope for, especially if Detroit does take him, is that we're all wrong about him and he becomes that leader on and off the field the team/organization needs.