? Week Seven: Bucs (2-3) @ Bills (3-2)

deuces22wild

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

That could get interesting.   I'm pretty sure his youngest son will be finishing high school this year.  I do believe the rumors he wants to coach again.  It wouldn't be the first time a team hired a head coach twice.  I believe the last time was the Raiders with Art Shell.  Gruden was horrible at talent evaluation,  he had no business bringing in Bruce Allen.  However, he certainly got the most out of the roster.  I think he goes where a team already has an established young QB.  I don't think he ll go to a team who is in the m8dst of a total rebuild.  He drafted Cadillac instead of Rodgers with Greise and Simms on the roster.   I think the more productive tape the better for Gruden to feel comfortable coming back into the league.  I can't blame because it will probably be his last shot being a head coach.

I highly doubt we go that direction. We'd have a new GM and that GM would need to had pick a coach they were comfortable with, not be forced to pick Gruden. Hey, on the off chance we get Gruden for round 2 maybe he brings is media buddy Rex Ryan. Man, that would be one heck of a mouthy coaching staff. How many unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on the coaching staff each game?

not  surprise and I hope he is right. however, anything less then 9 wins and smitty wont be the only one,on thin ice.

Everyone goes down with the ship ayy? He is too loyal to Smith. They go back to the Jacksonville days. However, Smith will not be back if the D keeps up the way they are. Licht will be re upped on a 1 year prove it deal if that and you know he's gonna want Smith gone. Or Licht will be let walk and we'll get a new GM who puts Koetter on a leash (look at the Colts) and that GM will basically say Smith is gone.

I like loyalty.  However, with such a public endoresement of Smith, I do believe even more that Koetter has to get to 9  wins.  I think 9 wins and defense remains lower third, Licht and Koetter survive only.  

Anything less then that, the Glazers have proven to be very unpredictable.  I would not compare them to Irsay.  The Glazer family courted Bill Parcells twice, traded for a head coach, and hired a coach from Rutgers.  Pretty crazy history.  Glazers dont mind paying head coaches to leave.  I believe Lovie comes off the books this year.  Im sure there was some type of offset in place when he took the Illinois job.

9 is the magic number.  Anything less and Pandora s box will be open, IMO.

I like loyalty.  However, with such a public endoresement of Smith, I do believe even more that Koetter has to get to 9  wins.  I think 9 wins and defense remains lower third, Licht and Koetter survive only.  

Anything less then that, the Glazers have proven to be very unpredictable.  I would not compare them to Irsay.  The Glazer family courted Bill Parcells twice, traded for a head coach, and hired a coach from Rutgers.  Pretty crazy history.  Glazers dont mind paying head coaches to leave.  I believe Lovie comes off the books this year.  Im sure there was some type of offset in place when he took the Illinois job.

9 is the magic number.  Anything less and Pandora s box will be open, IMO.

All good points, and to your point of the Glazers being unpredictable, that's why none of us have a clue what's going to happen. 

Unless this team just implodes and the offense becomes a train wreck, specifically the offense, I think Koetter is safe. 7, 8, 9 wins, I think he gets a min of 3 seasons. We've circulated HCs too much and I think the Glazers know that. Difference with Koetter is he isn't an inexperienced kid, military wanna be or retread playing football 20 years in the past.

Koetter deserves time, but the thing that will do him in is his inability to part ways with friends when he needs to and his pride to hand the offense to Monken and just focus on the team. Those two points are yet to be seen, but we'll find out soon enough.

I think the biggest wildcard this offseason is the GM. Will Licht return?

Shorty,

I believe Koetter is the safest of the 3.  He gets major marks for developing the best Qb drafted and played for th team in history (Steve Young Im omitting because his time with the team was awful).

For the concern about the offense, this is a bonanza during the Dungy days.  A 4th quarter output was the equivalent of 2 full games under a Dungy offense, and that isn t a lie.  Also, Winston is not regressing.  He is flawed and there are bumps along the road, but he s not Freeman, Leftwich, Glennon, or Dilfer.  Not even close.

Koetter keeps this a top 10 offense and can keep scoring mid 20s rest of the season, I think he returns.  Pat Murray may be the key for Koetter holding his job, ironically.  They get 9 wins, I think Licht gets 1 more year.  Smith needs a big finish because the best case scenerio is he ll have 2 years with an uneven defense, which isn t a good look.  And that is the best case scenerio, which seems pretty unattainable right now.

Koetter is safe to stay. The fact that Winston is having his best season to date statistically alone will keep DK around. Its the defense where they will make changes at. I can see Mike Smith getting canned and we having to go get a new DC yet again. My personal belief is that he isn't to blame 100%. Guys are just blowing assignments, not tackling, and the talent is devoid at DE. All this falls on Licht IMO

Licht failed to address the defensive depth/needs for years. That being said Smith has GOT to get his defense on the same page. Its like one half of the field, usually Grimes side, has good communication and the other side is just lost in the sauce. You need good DE's to make a defense GO and we have none. I'd bring Licht back for a 1 year extension depending how we finish the season. The next four games are winnable with CAR, NO, NYJ, and Miami. We go four straight we're 6-4 and we are back in playoff contention. Hell 5-5 even puts in wild card talks but none of these games are gimmies. I just know TB is capable of beating them IF they can put a halfway decent defense out there. Winston is doing his best with no running game yet again and we blow games because no stops. The only thing Smith has going for him was that we had success last year and finished #1 on third down defense. So even if we do finish near the bottom of the league I think he somehow survives but would be on a tight leash.

Yeah. I don't see Koetter going anywhere. He was given a promotion specifically for Jameis. And Jameis is ballin'. And our offense is one of the best in the league, in terms of yards.

It's the defense that needs a lot of work. I can't imagine we'll take many (if any) offensive players in the draft next year. I posted our defensive draft picks since 2013. It would be tough for any DC to turn that mess into a great defense. But Smitty pulled it off for the second half of last season. So there's hope he can do it again. Remember how bad the defense was at the beginning of last year?

41 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yeah. I don't see Koetter going anywhere. He was given a promotion specifically for Jameis. And Jameis is ballin'. And our offense is one of the best in the league, in terms of yards.

It's the defense that needs a lot of work. I can't imagine we'll take many (if any) offensive players in the draft next year. I posted our defensive draft picks since 2013. It would be tough for any DC to turn that mess into a great defense. But Smitty pulled it off for the second half of last season. So there's hope he can do it again. Remember how bad the defense was at the beginning of last year?

Yeah that was crazy, i couldnt believe he did that , because i didnt see much talent at all , but i think that was a minor miracle and i dont think it can happen again

the one thing we were good at last year that we arent this year (and its really pissing me off) is 3rd down defense, like damn its 3rd and 14 and we let them get a first , how does that even happen

41 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yup we let the Rams hang 30 on us last year and they were awful on offense. I'm still holding out hope that they can turn it around. They had a 5 game stretch of good football and ended the year on the strong note. I guess we'll wait and see but these next four games are key. Need to win these four games and IMO are winnable.

9 minutes ago, indifference said:

Yup we let the Rams hang 30 on us last year and they were awful on offense. I'm still holding out hope that they can turn it around. They had a 5 game stretch of good football and ended the year on the strong note. I guess we'll wait and see but these next four games are key. Need to win these four games and IMO are winnable.

that was the game last year that i kinda gave up on the season haha because our defense was so bad and we let an atrociously bad offense do that to us, if we would have won that game we would have made the playoffs

anyway , all of a sudden after that our defense some how all got it together miraculously , i hope thats the case again , i just dont see it

I think koetter needs to give up playcalling and focus on the team itself. And evaluate the defensive scheme and alignment and talent. 

Jason licht did not do a good job purging the DLine and adding talent where it was needed. 

The worst was him trading up for aguayo when the kid Jacksonville took  from Maryland who is balling out right now. Yannick ngauke. 

9 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

I think koetter needs to give up playcalling and focus on the team itself. And evaluate the defensive scheme and alignment and talent. 

Jason licht did not do a good job purging the DLine and adding talent where it was needed. 

The worst was him trading up for aguayo when the kid Jacksonville took  from Maryland who is balling out right now. Yannick ngauke. 

Baker over Campbell looking like a head scratcher as well. Dude has 10 sacks right now and the Bucs DL as a whole has 2 or 3. Licht is definitely on the hot seat and anything below 7-9 he is gone.

1 hour ago, indifference said:

Baker over Campbell looking like a head scratcher as well. Dude has 10 sacks right now and the Bucs DL as a whole has 2 or 3. Licht is definitely on the hot seat and anything below 7-9 he is gone.

Yeah. When you evaluate his drafts, 2014: he chose sims in the 3rd round over deonte Freeman. 

Asj over Jarvis Landry. 2014 outside of Evans has been a wash. 

2015: winston hasn't progressed to the franchise qb status. Still he's an average starter in this league with the hopes of taking the next step.  Alexander, smith and Marpet were Home runs  

2016: this is looking like another wash Hargreaves and aguayo are busts  Spence needs to be in a 3-4  

2017: TBD  but we neglected two huge needs at RB , CB and DL  

Add in of his 4 offseasons , he's had 1 good draft. A few washout free agent signings and he's failed to evaluate a pass rush, running back and kicker. 

Archived