? Week Seven: Bucs (2-3) @ Bills (3-2)

deuces22wild

How much of it was scheme and how much was execution today?

There’s so many missed tackles and blown assignments. For example:

- Kwon has a spy on Taylor, Taylor takes off, Kwon misses his tackle, first down and a huge gain.

- McClain follows the post too far inside and leaves the wheel route wide open in his deep third.

- Third and nine at the end, we miss 3 good opportunities to tackle the ball carrier. It included at least two over pursuits which allowed the runner to cut back.

Theres also been a few that are bad calls. Think not having a flat defender in a third and long. They threw in the flat and picked it up.

Our defensive problems are well documented, but our coaching staff has made some baffling decisions. Why was Noah Spence encouraged to lose 20lbs when he was pushed around in the run game all last season? Why do we persist with Conte? Why do none of our young players seem to be getting any better?

Licht doesn’t have a contract after this year. He’s going to have to be bold to save this season and his job, but I just don’t see him firing Smith in season after what he did at the tail end of last season.

8 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

How much of it was scheme and how much was execution today?

There’s so many missed tackles and blown assignments. For example:

- Kwon has a spy on Taylor, Taylor takes off, Kwon misses his tackle, first down and a huge gain.

- McClain follows the post too far inside and leaves the wheel route wide open in his deep third.

- Third and nine at the end, we miss 3 good opportunities to tackle the ball carrier. It included at least two over pursuits which allowed the runner to cut back.

Theres also been a few that are bad calls. Think not having a flat defender in a third and long. They threw in the flat and picked it up.

Our defensive problems are well documented, but our coaching staff has made some baffling decisions. Why was Noah Spence encouraged to lose 20lbs when he was pushed around in the run game all last season? Why do we persist with Conte? Why do none of our young players seem to be getting any better?

Licht doesn’t have a contract after this year. He’s going to have to be bold to save this season and his job, but I just don’t see him firing Smith in season after what he did at the tail end of last season.

I think the mini bye really hurts Smith.  Against the Pats, at least there was a hope of turning it around especially without Kwon and David.  The last 2 weeks, the rush defense has been pathetic, they are still playing a lot of soft zone and getting beat over the top.  The final nail in the coffin is the defense giving back the lead in 3 plays.  They didn't even give Buffalo a chance to even make a mistake during that offensive drive.  On that drive, a guy who I m sure Smith lobbied for in signing during training camp blew the coverage and got a personal foul on top of it.  Mike Smith will join the list of Jim Bates and  Jeff Jagodzinski, IMO.

It's easy to place blame on Mike Smith. But he even came out and said Hargreaves isn't being coached to play 10 yards off the ball. So at a point you need to hold players responsible as well. 

I hold licht responsible because of his lack of scouting ability toward the DL. He says he wants guys who love football. Well he signed the laziest SOB in swagger baker. Drafts an undersized Noah Spence who's better for a 3-4 rush LB then they tell him to slim down from 250 lbs when they say he needed to hold up against the run better. 

It all starts up front. If we lack pressure off the edge, the secondary's job becomes a lot more difficult. 

7 minutes ago, REDandPEWTER said:

It all starts up front. If we lack pressure off the edge, the secondary's job becomes a lot more difficult. 

Absolutely. Nobody can cover for four or five seconds at a time. And that happened a lot today. 

But you also have to look at the scheme. More than once they called the perfect play to hit a big one against us. Our tendencies are either completely transparent with our alignments or they know how we're gonna line up against specific formations. Or they know what we're gonna do based on personnel. Once or twice is luck. Any more than that becomes a pattern.

4 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Absolutely. Nobody can cover for four or five seconds at a time. And that happened a lot today. 

But you also have to look at the scheme. More than once they called the perfect play to hit a big one against us. Our tendencies are either completely transparent with our alignments or they know how we're gonna line up against specific formations. Or they know what we're gonna do based on personnel. Once or twice is luck. Any more than that becomes a pattern.

Ehh scheme maybe. I think a lot of it is execution too. We didn't do a good job improving the talent up front either. That falls on licht. 

I say there's an 80% chance we see mike smith taking his walking papers tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Ehh scheme maybe. I think a lot of it is execution too. We didn't do a good job improving the talent up front either. That falls on licht. 

I say there's an 80% chance we see mike smith taking his walking papers tomorrow. 

Scheme left O'Leary wide open up the seam. That was the void in the zone.

Scheme left Ward in the dust on that wheel route because there was nobody over the top.

Scheme left someone wide open in the flats on a different third down. But it didn't give Tygod all day in the pocket.

Scheme didn't let Tygod scramble for a million yards on third in the first half. That was Kwon. And scheme didn't pull McClain inside too far for the biggest play of the game, or force like seven missed tackles on the biggest third down of the game.

We made plenty of mistakes. There's no doubt. We can't win games blowing so many coverages and missing so many tackles. But the scheme accounted for the other half of why they moved the ball at will just as well as we did.

5 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

as much as i want a DE or CB

SaQuon would be real nice, REAL nice

then just trade dougie for a 3rd and  boooom , in businesssss

#madden

Barkley would make our offense unstoppable. Then it wouldn't matter that we give up 30 points per game.

2 hours ago, ravishingone said:

the more the evening goes,by, the more I believe Mike Smith will be fired by Monday.  

Agreed. As horrible as this team has been, we are only 2 games back in the division with 6 division games to be played. I'm not saying we'll win our or anything crazy, but if Licht and Koetter want to earn another year on the Bucs, they probably see this season as salvageable if the proper changes are made.

3 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Agreed. As horrible as this team has been, we are only 2 games back in the division with 6 division games to be played. I'm not saying we'll win our or anything crazy, but if Licht and Koetter want to earn another year on the Bucs, they probably see this season as salvageable if the proper changes are made.

might be better for the team if they dont earn another year on board

everything went down hill fast for Licht after Aquayo

Archived