If We Draft A Receiver In Rd 1....

Just Want A Title

I have been reading about the pro day results for a lot of the top receivers.  Ja'Marr Chase had a great pro day he should be a no-brainer if we are considering a WR at 7.  Terrence Marshall might be a really good option in Rd 2.

Folks were a little concerned about the Alabama WRs.  Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle didn't work out and some folks were concerned about their injuries.  Alabama has a spotty record when it comes to the health of their players when they come into the NFL.  As physically ta

The real wild card for me is Kyle Pitts.  He is 6'5.5", 245 Lbs, 83-inch wingspan and ran a 4.44 40.  On the one hand, he is a match-up nightmare for defenses.  He will be too fast for most LBs and too big for any DB that is covering him.  On the other hand, what position does he play?  Is he a WR, TE or just a receiver?  As a TE, he reminds me of Darren Waller but with better speed.  As a WR, he is a larger version of Alshon Jeffrey.  

Ja'Marr Chase is a pure WR and pretty much the cleanest WR prospect in Round 1.  6'0 201 lbs and ran a 4.38 40.  He would be a #1WR from day 1.

Terrence Marshall is slightly taller and longer but might be more linear limiting his value.  That might explain why most folks have him going in Rd 2.

Devonta Smith has been compared to Marvin Harrison and that might be accurate but his size is a question mark.  He can play inside or outside, runs great routes and has good speed. Still, his slight build could be a concern.  

Jaylen Waddle is electric.  He has great speed and moves really well with the ball in his hands.  While the comparisons to Tyreek Hill his size is a concern.  Can he be a true #1 WR?

Kyle Pitts has Calvin Johnson size but is not as fast.  If he is played as a TE, he is pretty much a receiving TE.  If he is played as a WR, he is a larger version of Alshon Jeffrey (and maybe a bit faster).  He will probably be a beast in the Red Zone and putting him on the field with Hockenson and De'Andre Swift might be really fun to watch.  

If the Lions were to take a WR which option makes the most sense?  Thoughts?

40 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I have been reading about the pro day results for a lot of the top receivers.  Ja'Marr Chase had a great pro day he should be a no-brainer if we are considering a WR at 7.  Terrence Marshall might be a really good option in Rd 2.

Folks were a little concerned about the Alabama WRs.  Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle didn't work out and some folks were concerned about their injuries.  Alabama has a spotty record when it comes to the health of their players when they come into the NFL.  As physically ta

The real wild card for me is Kyle Pitts.  He is 6'5.5", 245 Lbs, 83-inch wingspan and ran a 4.44 40.  On the one hand, he is a match-up nightmare for defenses.  He will be too fast for most LBs and too big for any DB that is covering him.  On the other hand, what position does he play?  Is he a WR, TE or just a receiver?  As a TE, he reminds me of Darren Waller but with better speed.  As a WR, he is a larger version of Alshon Jeffrey.  

Ja'Marr Chase is a pure WR and pretty much the cleanest WR prospect in Round 1.  6'0 201 lbs and ran a 4.38 40.  He would be a #1WR from day 1.

Terrence Marshall is slightly taller and longer but might be more linear limiting his value.  That might explain why most folks have him going in Rd 2.

Devonta Smith has been compared to Marvin Harrison and that might be accurate but his size is a question mark.  He can play inside or outside, runs great routes and has good speed. Still, his slight build could be a concern.  

Jaylen Waddle is electric.  He has great speed and moves really well with the ball in his hands.  While the comparisons to Tyreek Hill his size is a concern.  Can he be a true #1 WR?

Kyle Pitts has Calvin Johnson size but is not as fast.  If he is played as a TE, he is pretty much a receiving TE.  If he is played as a WR, he is a larger version of Alshon Jeffrey (and maybe a bit faster).  He will probably be a beast in the Red Zone and putting him on the field with Hockenson and De'Andre Swift might be really fun to watch.  

If the Lions were to take a WR which option makes the most sense?  Thoughts?

I am in the "Kyle Pitts is a WR" camp. I like him a lot better than Smith or Waddle and I would take him at #7 and announce him as a WR. We're going to get slagged for that either way (the Lions have a history of picking WR's in the top 10) or (this is the third TE the Lions have taken in the top 10). When he's blowing up defenses for us, who really cares. 

Marshall is an intriguing guy - he has Denzel Mims' athletic numbers. The bulk of his snaps came out of the slot (guess what, we happen to need a slot WR). I can see him going in the range of Higgins/Pittman last year, so I don't know if he'd make it to us at 41. If he's there, I think he would make a ton of sense. He is is someone that I am warming up a lot more to. 

The guy that I am most intrigued by is Rashod Bateman. He gives me real Michael Thomas vibes. Anthony Lynn had the #1 WR in the league in Keenan Allen who is principally a slot guy. Campbell just left the Saints who had their #1 guy (Thomas) who is principally a slot guy. Goff has had a lot of success with a guy like Woods, who can play in and out, while Kupp was a big target in that offense. Someone who is explosive (doesn't have to be straight line fast), big body with reliable hands should fit the bill. I feel that Bateman is someone who COULD be available for us at 41 but he could also go in the 1st. All of the QB's going early will push good prospects down the board, so it is possible that someone like Bateman and/or Marshall could be there. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I am in the "Kyle Pitts is a WR" camp. I like him a lot better than Smith or Waddle and I would take him at #7 and announce him as a WR. We're going to get slagged for that either way (the Lions have a history of picking WR's in the top 10) or (this is the third TE the Lions have taken in the top 10). When he's blowing up defenses for us, who really cares. 

Marshall is an intriguing guy - he has Denzel Mims' athletic numbers. The bulk of his snaps came out of the slot (guess what, we happen to need a slot WR). I can see him going in the range of Higgins/Pittman last year, so I don't know if he'd make it to us at 41. If he's there, I think he would make a ton of sense. He is is someone that I am warming up a lot more to. 

The guy that I am most intrigued by is Rashod Bateman. He gives me real Michael Thomas vibes. Anthony Lynn had the #1 WR in the league in Keenan Allen who is principally a slot guy. Campbell just left the Saints who had their #1 guy (Thomas) who is principally a slot guy. Goff has had a lot of success with a guy like Woods, who can play in and out, while Kupp was a big target in that offense. Someone who is explosive (doesn't have to be straight line fast), big body with reliable hands should fit the bill. I feel that Bateman is someone who COULD be available for us at 41 but he could also go in the 1st. All of the QB's going early will push good prospects down the board, so it is possible that someone like Bateman and/or Marshall could be there. 

Another reason Terrence Marshall could be great value in Round 2:  LSU's QB play was horrible after Joe Burrow left.  That definitely had an impact on Marshall's production.

15 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Another reason Terrence Marshall could be great value in Round 2:  LSU's QB play was horrible after Joe Burrow left.  That definitely had an impact on Marshall's production.

I also do like Rondale Moore. He carries a lot of the same concerns as I have for Smith but I think he should go in round 2 or 3, which would reduce that concern. 

There's a few other guys that I do like but will chime in more when there is less of a FFMD implication. 

If I've taking a WR at 7 and they are all available I'm taking Chase.  There is no mystery there.  He lines up as WR1 day 1.  

After him I'm taking Pitts.  I announce him as a TE and roster him that way, that way I can franchise tag him later at a lesser rate, but he will be the slot WR that will also play on the line when we need him to.  When Hock goes in the slot we flex him out wide.  And we line him up out wide like a WR on a lot of plays regardless of Hock's position.  

If I'm picking in the top 10 I want a franchise QB or a Unicorn.  I think both of those guys qualify.  As for round two Marshall would be great value in rd 2.

13 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

If I've taking a WR at 7 and they are all available I'm taking Chase.  There is no mystery there.  He lines up as WR1 day 1.  

After him I'm taking Pitts.  I announce him as a TE and roster him that way, that way I can franchise tag him later at a lesser rate, but he will be the slot WR that will also play on the line when we need him to.  When Hock goes in the slot we flex him out wide.  And we line him up out wide like a WR on a lot of plays regardless of Hock's position.  

If I'm picking in the top 10 I want a franchise QB or a Unicorn.  I think both of those guys qualify.  As for round two Marshall would be great value in rd 2.

good mythical morning agree GIF by Rhett and Link

In Round 1, it's Chase then Pitts then Smith then Waddle for me. I wouldn't take Waddle in the top 10. In Round 2, Rashod Bateman is my guy. He's versatile and should produce well in the NFL. He has separation quickness, polish, and catches the ball well.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

In Round 1, it's Chase then Pitts then Smith then Waddle for me. I wouldn't take Waddle in the top 10. In Round 2, Rashod Bateman is my guy. He's versatile and should produce well in the NFL. He has separation quickness, polish, and catches the ball well.

Bateman would be a good addition but I suspect he will be gone by the Lions pick.

4 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Bateman would be a good addition but I suspect he will be gone by the Lions pick.

Might be. It's hard to figure out where the group of WRs in the late first to early second range will go. I also like Amon-Ra St. Brown, but he'd be more likely in a trade down. Same with D'Wayne Eskridge. I love me some D'Wayne Eskridge. Elijah Moore is also a potential option. Although, he could go in the late first.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I know our cupboard is bare at WR, but I've never been a fan of drafting WRs so early unless it's a generational prospect like Megatron was. 

This is the case for me as well.  Unfortunately, I don't see any DL worth a top 10 pick which kind of moves the ball in favor of WR. One of the reasons I'm not high on this years draft. For me if Sewell is gone, I think I would then want Surtain and then Chase due to lack of options. I'm still really hesitant on Pitts.

9 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

This is the case for me as well.  Unfortunately, I don't see any DL worth a top 10 pick which kind of moves the ball in favor of WR. One of the reasons I'm not high on this years draft. For me if Sewell is gone, I think I would then want Surtain and then Chase due to lack of options. I'm still really hesitant on Pitts.

I want Pitts if he's available at #7 but I also would want to do that if Lynn is willing to be creative with him. 

If he isn't there and we traded down because someone wanted to move up to grab Lance, Fields, etc. then I don't think I would hate the concept of taking the top CB. We need talent everywhere on the defense and if you have faith in Okudah, then Amani, Okudah and Surtain is a really nice young trio in that secondary. In a passing league, it doesn't hurt to have a lot of talent at guys who are focused on stopping the pass. Combined with an improved scheme and some pressure up front, we could see the defense make a dramatic shift. 

5 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I want Pitts if he's available at #7 but I also would want to do that if Lynn is willing to be creative with him. 

If he isn't there and we traded down because someone wanted to move up to grab Lance, Fields, etc. then I don't think I would hate the concept of taking the top CB. We need talent everywhere on the defense and if you have faith in Okudah, then Amani, Okudah and Surtain is a really nice young trio in that secondary. In a passing league, it doesn't hurt to have a lot of talent at guys who are focused on stopping the pass. Combined with an improved scheme and some pressure up front, we could see the defense make a dramatic shift. 

Normally in the top 10 of the draft, I want the QB, DL or OT (no particular order) in the draft...If none of those are there, then... well... f***!