Washington waives 5 players including Moss

MikeT14

Washington waived DL Caleb Brantley, WR Emanuel Hall, RB Javon Leake, TE Thaddeus Moss, and RB Michael Warren.

Brantley most recently received a $350,000 high-risk stipend/loan from the organization upon opting out last year. A former sixth-round pick by the Browns, he made one appearance for Washington in 2019.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Moss-ugh/ Maybe that foot didn't heal well, or deemed just too slow. Anyway they had some time evaluate him-just didn't make the cut. Had hopes but not too high .

Yeah too bad about Moss.  It was easy to get excited about him because of the name, but what can you do.  Sounds like he had some character issues.

Surprised about Brantley.

Rivera cutting ties with players, yet somehow Sims is still on the roster.  Maybe they called him into the park to get cut, but he dropped his car keys and can't get there.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 5:05 PM, offbyone said:

Yeah too bad about Moss.  It was easy to get excited about him because of the name, but what can you do.  Sounds like he had some character issues.

Surprised about Brantley.

Rivera cutting ties with players, yet somehow Sims is still on the roster.  Maybe they called him into the park to get cut, but he dropped his car keys and can't get there.

Steven Sims has potential, the others don’t. I’m not sure what it is with Moss, last year he had the foot surgery and then went  undrafted in part because of the foot injury. He didn’t make the roster or practice squad last year I’m guessing bc of he foot, instead he was put on IR.

My guess is that his foot is still an issue & he may never play football again or he’s extremely out of shape bc of his foot injury last year and/or has a COVID bod.

It sucks, but it is what it is. I think Mayhew/Rivera will draft a TE and maybe two. I think they’ll also sign a vet & of course bring in UDFA’s too to compete w/ Baugh & Hemingway to be Thomas’s back up.

Edited by turtle28

18 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

bro...

There’s no reason to cut Steven Sims at this point. I surely hope they draft someone or sign an UDFA who will be a better back up slot WR. He has speed, he flashed ability. I’m not trying to say he’s going to be anything special but, there’s no reason to cut him. You take him compared to the others who did get cut & it’s obvious why the coaches decided to keep him at this point. 

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

There’s no reason to cut Steven Sims at this point. I surely hope they draft someone or sign an UDFA who will be a better back up slot WR. He has speed, he flashed ability. I’m not trying to say he’s going to be anything special but, there’s no reason to cut him. You take him compared to the others who did get cut & it’s obvious why the coaches decided to keep him at this point. 

I can list 5 WRs ahead of him on the depth chart. Those are the locks ahead of him...

Yea, there are lots of reasons to cut him.

22 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I can list 5 WRs ahead of him on the depth chart. Those are the locks ahead of him...

Yea, there are lots of reasons to cut him.

Who are the “locks?”  The only locks at WR are Terry & Samuel IMO. The other 3 or 4 WR spots are up for grabs amongst Humphries, Cam Sims, Harmon, AGG, Steven Sims, Wright and any rookie we’d draft or UDFA we’d sign.

I agree with you that Steven Sims didn’t have a good year but there’s no reason to cut him, having him compete for a roster spot doesn’t hurt anything. I also can’t say they are only going to keep 5 WRs. Also the other WRs on the roster - AGG, Harmon & Cam Sims are all similar players.

So, since that’s the case they’re going to want someone who can be a back up slot player who’s smaller with more speed. Maybe that’s Steven Sims, maybe it’s Wright, maybe it’s a rookie we draft or someone else we sign as a FA or an UDFA. 

There’s no way of knowing right now.

56 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Who are the “locks?”  

Terry, Curtis, Adam, Cam and Kelvin. Literally 0 chance he is ahead of any of them. He might be below Isaiah Wright... He probably has the upper hand on AGG unless AGG progresses mightily in camp. (Remember this staff did not sign Steven Sims, they did draft AGG however).

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I agree with you that Steven Sims didn’t have a good year but there’s no reason to cut him, having him compete for a roster spot doesn’t hurt anything. I also can’t say they are only going to keep 5 WRs. Also the other WRs on the roster - AGG, Harmon & Cam Sims are all similar players.

So, since that’s the case they’re going to want someone who can be a back up slot player who’s smaller with more speed. Maybe that’s Steven Sims, maybe it’s Wright, maybe it’s a rookie we draft or someone else we sign as a FA or an UDFA. 

There’s no way of knowing right now.

Bro, you have to get over your fascination of Sims. He is a JAG. That's all he will ever be. He regressed mightily in what he said was his year of big improvement in the offseason. 

I imagine they will keep at least 6 WR. I would definitely give Wright the advantage over Sims for a spot since this staff signed Wright and Sims was benched for Wright during the season. 

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Terry, Curtis, Adam, Cam and Kelvin. Literally 0 chance he is ahead of any of them. He might be below Isaiah Wright... He probably has the upper hand on AGG unless AGG progresses mightily in camp. (Remember this staff did not sign Steven Sims, they did draft AGG however).

Bro, you have to get over your fascination of Sims. He is a JAG. That's all he will ever be. He regressed mightily in what he said was his year of big improvement in the offseason. 

I imagine they will keep at least 6 WR. I would definitely give Wright the advantage over Sims for a spot since this staff signed Wright and Sims was benched for Wright during the season. 

I think you have to stop worrying about my opinion so much. You’re also taking what I’m saying way, way out of context. I have not once said anything positive such as I did about Steven Sims last year. All I’m saying is he’s in the mix. And, how is he not? He’s on the roster!

If anyone needs to let it go, it’s you. I don’t know why you care so much about what my opinion is. I’m allowed to think any player could make the team that’s on the roster, it’s my right as a fan so stop telling me what to do.

JAGs make teams all the time as end of the roster players, heck, some JAGs are even starters in the NFL. 

Regardless of what you think of Steven Sims, he’s still on the team. He’s still there for a reason, you may not agree with that but it’s clear the coaches still have some kind of hope for him otherwise they would’ve cut him a long time ago but they haven’t.

The way your acting just takes me back to the days of me defending Ryan Grant. People hated Grant for years and said he shouldn’t be on the roster but Gruden kept him around for the things he did well. Then, all of a sudden in 2017 Ryan Grant became our most reliable WR that year because Doctson was up and down, Pryor got hurt and Crowder battled injuries and drops/fumbles all year.

Edited by turtle28

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think you have to stop worrying about my opinion so much. You’re also taking what I’m saying way, way out of context. I have not once said anything positive such as I did about Steven Sims last year. All I’m saying is he’s in the mix. And, how is he not? He’s on the roster!

If anyone needs to let it go, it’s you. I don’t know why you care so much about what my opinion is. I’m allowed to think any player could make the team that’s on the roster, it’s my right as a fan so stop telling me what to do.

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Regardless of what you think of Steven Sims, he’s still on the team. He’s still there for a reason, you may not agree with that but it’s clear the coaches still have some kind of hope for him otherwise they would’ve cut him a long time ago but they haven’t.

The way your acting just takes me back to the days of me defending Ryan Grant. People hated Grant for years and said he shouldn’t be on the roster but Gruden kept him around for the things he did well. Then, all of a sudden in 2017 Ryan Grant became our most reliable WR that year because Doctson was up and down, Pryor got hurt and Crowder battled injuries and drops/fumbles all year.

For now for sure. They don't know what Curtis Samuel and Adam Humphries will look like in OTAs and camp. Heck any one of our WRs could get injured thrusting someone into action. He will be a camp body for sure. No reason to cut him, yet. You can get upset at people having different opinions all you want, but I haven't taken anything away from you. I'm not telling you you can't have your opinion. I'm not stopping you from being a fan. I am however telling you that I disagree with your opinion and I am exercising my right as a fan with an opinion to tell you I believe Steven Sims, the undrafted WR from Kansas, is a JAG and won't be on the roster when the regular season starts. When I am wrong, I admit my mistakes. I highly doubt I will be wrong here, but if he blows up and is a solid #3/#4 this upcoming season, I'll eat crow. Until then, you and I will continue to disagree on what Steven Sims brings to the table.