Scary thought: my prediction

101Raider

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I'd be surprised if they go LB in round 1. I look at it like DT. No DIRE need, but add talent if it's there. 

If you look back at recent draft history almost none of the teams that have invested early picks into non-pass rushing LB's have received good ROI. Bradley was the DC in Seattle when they took "can't miss" LB Aaron Curry #4 overall and he was a total flop.

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If you look back at recent draft history almost none of the teams that have invested early picks into non-pass rushing LB's have received good ROI. Bradley was the DC in Seattle when they took "can't miss" LB Aaron Curry #4 overall and he was a total flop.

You keep repeating this as if Bradley somehow made the pick. This is your MO because you don't understand how a guy like Parsons could transform a defense.

John Schneider makes the picks in Seattle. And if you're going to call out one LB that was a miss, then at least check your agenda and point out the LBs that absolutely changed their defense in Wagner and Wright.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You keep repeating this as if Bradley somehow made the pick. This is your MO because you don't understand how a guy like Parsons could transform a defense.

John Schneider makes the picks in Seattle. And if you're going to call out one LB that was a miss, then at least check your agenda and point out the LBs that absolutely changed their defense in Wagner and Wright.

Did Kenneth Murray or Myles Jack transform Bradley's defense? 

Wagner and Wright both got better once Bradley left. 

On 4/12/2021 at 12:22 PM, 101Raider said:

So just had a scary thought about this offseason plan, because despite what it looks like, you know Gruden and Mayock had to have gone into the offseason with some sort of plan.   I can't imagine that they've just been willy nilly without one..   The more I think about it, the more likely it sounds to me and it worries me.

What if: Bradley was selected specifically because he convinced Gruden (and to a lesser extent Mayock) that he could take our defense almost AS IS to being a respectable one...  (in my words: "league average."  He was hired with the caveat that he wants pieces on the Defensive Line.  It's no secret that Gruden is all about the offense, so Gruden is given carte blanche to  continue to tinker with his offense.

Hear me out, on defense Bradely comes on board with the plan to revamp the defensive line as his primary concern.  We already have 1 "decent" pass rusher (Crosby), a high draft pick base end to play his 5T (Ferrill) and a whole lot of garbage inside.  So he goes out and gets a premium edge rusher in Ngakou for the other side.  He bargin bin shops and gets what 7 DTs to pick and choose his guys.

At LB, he feels his simplified defense will bring out the best in Littleton, despite his poor season last year.  Kwiatowski though upgradeable, was more than serviceable.  Morrow slots in as the SLB for better or worse.

At DB, we have on paper players that could have sold Bradley with him thinking he could resurrect  his vaulted "Legion of Boom" (NOT MY BELIEF).  With the thought that an improved pass rush, our DBs will certainly improve.  We have Mullen who is a decent CB and a former 1st Round 2nd year CB at the other position (disregard what we as fans think, the  Raider's Think Tank I'm sure sees/saw promise in Arnette and are not giving up on him in year two, post COVID.  We also have a Bradley's mini Chancellor in Abrams (again not my belief) and supposedly Mayock was pre draft comparing Joseph to Earl Thomas.  

On the offensive side, in a very Offensive line heavy draft, Gruden and Mayock decide to jettison Brown due to his lack of availability and motivation.  Jackson is considered a casualty as his contract didn't necessarily warrant keeping him around when Good came in last year with little downgrade in play.  They also considered that we have Simpson waiting in the wings. 

Hudson I think was unexpected...  reportedly he asked for a trade,  I'm guessing seeing his whole right side disappear didn't sit well with him.

Gruden went out and spent money on WRs and a RB this off season.  I don't like the Drake signing, but I'm guessing this is what they drafted Lynn Bowden to be last year, which obviously didn't work out.

My guess is we go heavy O-line this draft and allocate very little to defense unless a stud falls (like Parsons).  Mayock and Gruden went into the offseason to shed the heavy o-line contracts, get younger and even more physical upfront.  

Again, this wouldn't be my plan, but it's what I think the Raiders are thinking...  

seems about right. I mean we spent alot of draft assets on Dbs the last year, I would think the plan is to develop them. We all said the OL was overpaid and getting old. I feel there's a good chance we could be drafting 2 OL and 2 defensive players with the first 4 picks. Which would be a solid plan, then go defense will the rest of the the day 3 picks. I'm not really considered about that type of strategy

10 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Maybe not a dire need, but there is ZERO depth at LB. And the starters are well below average IMO.

I disagree. Our run defense was way better when Kwit was on the field, IIRC we gave up 30 less yards per game when was on the field and he held up well in coverage. Morrow was also pretty good as well and held up in coverage. Both of them graded out near the top of the league in coverage according to PFF and Kwit was ranked the 18th best LB while Morrow was ranked 25th. 

Littleton was one of the best LB's in the league during his last two seasons with the Rams. Over that span he had 259 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 15 TFL, 5 INT, 22 PD, 4 FF, and 2 FR and was named an All-Pro in 2018. You also have to account for the fact that he was a defensive end in college and mainly a special teams player as an UDFA during his first two years with the Rams before the found a fit for him at WLB. Ted Ngyuen did a film study on him and highlighted that he played much better once Guenther was fired. 

Before the 2020 season various analysts ranked Littleton as a top 10 LB in the NFL. PFF had him at #8, Athlon Sports had him at #5, and the Wire had him at #6. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I feel there's a good chance we could be drafting 2 OL and 2 defensive players with the first 4 picks. Which would be a solid plan, then go defense will the rest of the the day 3 picks.

Sounds about right.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'd rather have Micah Parsons than Kenneth Murray. Bradley was already in the hot seat by the time they got Myles Jack So he didn't really have him for long. Besides their pass rush was garbage. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Okay... you need to stop. You're just looking to argue and posting nonsense now

Wagner, Murray and Jack were all rookies in their one season with Bradley.  KJ Wright was in year 2 and his first year as a starter. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Okay... you need to stop. You're just looking to argue and posting nonsense now

Wagner, Murray and Jack were all rookies in their one season with Bradley.  KJ Wright was in year 2 and his first year as a starter. 

Bradley's defense asks his LB's to primarily drop back into coverage as he blitzes less than any DC in the league. The only way that Parsons would make sense or "transform the defense" would be if he's in the "SAM" role which is more so an edge player than a LB, which is how he used Bruce Irvin/Melvin Ingram, and we just signed Yannick to play in that spot. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Bradley's defense asks his LB's to primarily drop back into coverage as he blitzes less than any DC in the league. The only way that Parsons would make sense or "transform the defense" would be if he's in the "SAM" role which is more so an edge player than a LB, which is how he used Bruce Irvin/Melvin Ingram, and we just signed Yannick to play in that spot

No, he's the LEO, or the weakside DE if you prefer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Well below average? 

Idk when I think well below average I think of Tahir Whitehead. Or most of our castoffs over the last half decade.

Kwit and Morrow were both pretty good last season and Littleton has been an All-Pro.