Quick & Painless GM Mock Draft

ny92mike

21 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

While I agree completely, here's my counter-point I think I'm still correct on. 

While reach is a relative term, it's your job as GM to try to Maximize the talent you can add. Or maybe in my case I'm trying to fill 5-6 spots with the most talent possible. So I have a plan on the best order to fill them in, maximizing my return. Sometimes that might mean taking a DT in the 4th for example I have graded as 4th-5th round, and trying to wait until the 5th to grab a G because EVERY SCOUTING REPORT has your next two favorite guys at that group projected as 6th round - UDFA players, but I like them both as solid 5ths. Only problem is after you take your DT both your favorite guards get snagged in the next 11-12 picks. They aren't reaches to the teams that took them most likely. But nonetheless they're reaches based on where I projected them to go and/or the grades I have on them, and that reality has now put me in a bind. Guard in this scenario is a position I've failed to adequately address.

I do enjoy arguing these things back and forth. I've been part of several discussions where we break down the myriad of ways you can orchestrate a draft plan, or "Grade players".

I have grades on players and then sometimes ‘reach’ a little if I have a big need and know the position is limited. I am quite aggressive with trading up to get my target rather than wait and hope but this only works whilst I have draft capital obviously, I tend to go bpa if someone is more than 30 picks outside of my projection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

For discussions sake, as the mock season rolls along, do you find there are positions you just have to "reach" on to fill holes on your roster?

It's like I'll grade guys in let's say round 5 and 6. But then they keep getting drafted by the end of the 4th. So I either rely on UDFA's to try and plug holes, or join the party and reach for guys early. Maybe I'm simply undervaluing guys at certain positions. But I don't think that's it.

1 hour ago, carrolljcmc said:

This is just my opinion. I think the term "reach" is overused. A player is only ranked as high as the list of the person who's otc. Example, David Moore was just drafted here. I have him rated as my 225th player. Doesn't mean someone else may not have him higher, but I'm not going to say it's a reach.

First 2 or 3 rounds are value sensitivity so "reach"  applies there.  As for 5th and later, you get what you want to have aboard. Sometimes you see top 80 prospect still being on the board and you take him as best value option.

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I have 2 fifths and 4 sixths right now and I'm faces with this dilemma. I haven't taken a WR yet "OMG Aaron still doesn't have any weapons" is what ESPN and NFLN would be saying, but every time I come up to a pick, I like the value better at a different spot. Coming up to this pick 168, I still have 3 defensive players with 3rd round grades on the board. Not sure if I should skip value and try to plug holes, or just grab a BPA.

The last two picks answered this question for me. Will not be taking a WR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mountainpd said:

Cade Johnson was a great pick.

I've been saying since the senior bowl, anyone that hasn't watched his 1-v-1 video yet should. 

Pretty damn impressive. Charted it. Pretty sure it ends 13 wins vs 2 losses. And he damn near tears a couple DB ACL's within those 13 wins. Looked like no one could cover him.

5 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Because that is the appropriate value for a S that is basically a LB 😬

If you pigeon hole him into old fashioned positions rather than looking at him as an overhang alley defender with speed to flow sideline to sideline and size to cover TEs up the seam.

He's basically poor man's JOK. He's got a 3rd round grade for me.

Not to mention he's going to be a 4 team core STer.