Jet! (and Murray! too)

vike daddy

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I thought you were talking about the youngest player in the draft of that year. 

No but you do make a good point.

I tend to look at age a lot when evaluating.

When you can hit on a younger guy 20-22 in their rookie and 2nd years that is great. I tend to give those types of players a little bit of leeway towards development. Players on average aren't getting it going until that 25-26 range for their full potential.

You just tend to hope your young 1st round draft pick can kick it into gear in year one and two like Treadwell. Yet he is still 22 years old, while one of the top prospects coming into the draft this year, Calvin Ridley, is already going to be 24. 1 full year more of development to reach his age.

Jerick McKinnon is on the verge of joining an exclusive club Sunday, but needs a big game through the air to get there. The Vikings running back enters the regular-season finale with 526 rushing yards and 421 receiving yards, meaning a few big pass plays could push him into the rare 500/500 group.

That has happened just a dozen times in franchise history, and just once since 1986. Bill Brown, Chuck Foreman, Ted Brown and Darrin Nelson each accomplished the feat multiple times, and the last player to do so was Moe Williams in 2003.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/McKinnon-Close-to-Exclusive-500500-Club-for-Vikings-Running-Backs/2d2f3559-af0b-423e-8151-9e50ed81e284?sf177677151=1

Latavius Murray was reminded this week that he rushed for just 97 yards in the Vikings’ first six games.

“That’s terrible,’’ Murray said.

Murray, though, has made up for it. In Minnesota’s last 10 games, the running back has gained 745 yards. If Murray had that pace for the entire season, he would have rushed for a career-high 1,192 yards.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/04/after-terrible-start-latavius-murray-has-become-vikings-workhorse-back/

On 12/8/2017 at 7:25 PM, vikingsrule said:

I'd rather keep Murray over McKinnon as my top backup. I don't think a player like McKinnon is particularly hard to find in the draft. 

I was just thinking about this tonight. A lot of people over the season have said they prefer to keep McKinnon and cut Murray. But something to think about is how each of them complements Cook.

To me, McKinnon more closely resembles Cook in style, because he's not really a power runner and both can be featured in the passing game. Meanwhile, Murray is someone who is adept at finding the end zone, even if he takes a beating in the process. I wouldn't mind keeping those physical hits at the goalline off of Cook.

7 hours ago, Klomp said:

I was just thinking about this tonight. A lot of people over the season have said they prefer to keep McKinnon and cut Murray. But something to think about is how each of them complements Cook.

To me, McKinnon more closely resembles Cook in style, because he's not really a power runner and both can be featured in the passing game. Meanwhile, Murray is someone who is adept at finding the end zone, even if he takes a beating in the process. I wouldn't mind keeping those physical hits at the goalline off of Cook.

Perhaps CJ Ham should fill that limited role of short yardage back?... to save $alary cap $pace.  He's on the roster, made some progress in 2017, contributes on STs, and is a 'yute' - which seems to matter a lot to some fans.   Cook, McKinnon, and Ham seem like a mutually complimentary trio with different skill sets. 

https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/07/vikings-c-j-ham-finding-his-groove-in-first-year-at-fullback/

"I thought he played well,” Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said. “He had a third-down conversion (a 1-yard run on third-and 1). He caught a pass and made a guy miss and had a nice run. He gets on the right guy, he blocks them, he’s a good athlete, he does a great job on special teams. He’s improving a lot.”

Neither Murray or Jet are too hard to replace in the draft. 

To me, Jet is still probably the hardest.

He is starting to get into a groove with everything he is doing.

while Murray is doing great, what he is doing is something easy enough to find in the draft. 

Hardest part to replace from either of them... their blocking... both are doing great

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Neither Murray or Jet are too hard to replace in the draft. 

To me, Jet is still probably the hardest.

He is starting to get into a groove with everything he is doing.

while Murray is doing great, what he is doing is something easy enough to find in the draft. 

Hardest part to replace from either of them... their blocking... both are doing great

What's so hard to replace about McKinnon. He's not a good runner, still hadn't been this year. McKinnon is a good receiver but I feel it's harder to find an every down RB (which Murrays production says he is) than a receiving back. 

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

What's so hard to replace about McKinnon. He's not a good runner, still hadn't been this year. McKinnon is a good receiver but I feel it's harder to find an every down RB (which Murrays production says he is) than a receiving back. 

Thing is... Murray really hasn’t been that great either. He still isn’t breaking tackles and still goes down at first contact. It’s been the same thing thruout his career.

recieving backs are all over, but McKinnon has it figured out. Hangs onto the ball, breaks tackles while being elusive enough to make people miss in space.

of course you can replace either. Still I believe it is easier to find a running back that is doing what Murray is doing compared to McKinnon for instant results.

one Reason I could see us moving on from McKinnon is if we are looking for a new PR and KR next year. A lot of the running backs coming out this year have a little experience in this.

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Thing is... Murray really hasn’t been that great either. He still isn’t breaking tackles and still goes down at first contact. It’s been the same thing thruout his career.

recieving backs are all over, but McKinnon has it figured out. Hangs onto the ball, breaks tackles while being elusive enough to make people miss in space.

of course you can replace either. Still I believe it is easier to find a running back that is doing what Murray is doing compared to McKinnon for instant results.

one Reason I could see us moving on from McKinnon is if we are looking for a new PR and KR next year. A lot of the running backs coming out this year have a little experience in this.

Let's not forget that Cook will be replacing a lot of McKinnons production as a receiver. Murray is much more relevant in a Cook led backfield than McKinnon is.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Let's not forget that Cook will be replacing a lot of McKinnons production as a receiver. Murray is much more relevant in a Cook led backfield than McKinnon is.

Yeah, and he will be taking a ton away from Murray. 

I still hope we take another RB right around round 3 this year.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

Yeah, and he will be taking a ton away from Murray. 

I still hope we take another RB right around round 3 this year.

Cook will need someone to share carries with, I see Cook being the primary third down back too given his skill set as a receiver. 

Ideally, we wouldn't look to pay a backup RB $5m per year, but I think it's going to be too difficult to replace both in one offseason. 

I hope we take a RB in the mold of McKinnon who can be a threat in the passing game and return game. Basically, give me Tarik Cohen.

Archived